testtest

Emotionally Disturbed Persons: Strategies for Dealing With EDPs

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Mental Health (MH) issues are a reality in our society. It is estimated that nearly one in five adults in the U.S. live with a mental health issue. They vary in severity from mild to moderate to severe. In some cases, like the Emotionally Disturbed Person, or EDP described below, they can be a significant, frequently unpredictable, threat.

Strategies for Dealing with EDPs

1664144311150.png

This article is so sophomoric as to be insulting. There is no such classification of an EMP or SMI in the real world.

This line sums it up;
This article is not a formal medical opinion; it relays opinions and observations based on many years of personal (albeit niche) experience

In other words, it is pure speculation at best and, more likely, complete fiction.

If you want to find out about people with mental issues talk to a professional, not the internet, or open the pages of the industry bible - The DSM 5.

I was a crisis intervention officer and I was always dispatched to these type of calls. Person in distress. Person in crisis. I always redirected their thought process. Many ways to do it. Talk about something interesting. Talk about gibberish, while making no sense. Do something they wouldn't expect, like jumping up on a chair. They are crazy... if you outcrazy them, it often redirects them and gets them to stop doing whatever it was they were doing while their brain tries to figure you out. Sometimes a calm demeanor gets it done. Sometime a crazy, loud, boisterous and rude demeanor gets it done. Not every person responds the same....

They lost me with "one in five adults in the U.S. live with a mental health issue."
COW PIES!
The psyc./ pharmacology industry is a self-fulfilling prophesy for $$$. Your blue sometimes, metal health issues, angry, well that's anger management issues/mental health, you're a pervert and like little girls and or boys, yup you guessed it mental health issues. I'm not saying that there are not people truly troubled by mental health issues. These snake oil salesmen have classified everything but athletes' foot as mental health. They have forgotten or choose to ignore that there are just plain old bad people in this world. People who chose to be bad and they are not sick, you can't "fix them" they are just evil.
Okay feel free to bash me now.:unsure:

Its been years since I have checked up on this, but a few years ago every single mass shooter was on SRRI drugs, the happy pills for depression, Prozac, Zoloft, etc... Most were abusing the drug, and even if they didn't have a prescription they were getting it from other sources...

There are certainly proper uses for the drug, but todays instant gratification and over-prescribed society, they are being handed out like to candy to every person that says, I feel sad sometimes...

They often list a side-effect of 1-3% will suffer a psychotic break... ...it is vital to maintain the same level of regular dosage, going off too quickly or changing dosage can cause drastic side-effects, etc....

I was a crisis intervention officer and I was always dispatched to these type of calls. Person in distress. Person in crisis. I always redirected their thought process. Many ways to do it. Talk about something interesting. Talk about gibberish, while making no sense. Do something they wouldn't expect, like jumping up on a chair. They are crazy... if you outcrazy them, it often redirects them and gets them to stop doing whatever it was they were doing while their brain tries to figure you out. Sometimes a calm demeanor gets it done. Sometime a crazy, loud, boisterous and rude demeanor gets it done. Not every person responds the same....

Absolutely right.
Just a little empathy goes a long way. A lot of these folks have nobody to talk to, nobody to listen, acting out gives them needed attention.
If encountered, sometimes agreeing excitably with a frantic nutjob will give you safe passage. If you can fit yourself into their world for the moment, it makes them feel less alone.

Changing the subject like you said is a useful tool, it can really take them off base...”Hey where did you get that sweater? I have the same one, got it on sale at Walmarts. I seen that guy from the BurgerKing commercial, you know, whats his name…he bought one too!”

I don’t smoke, but carried cigarettes to stave off angry panhandlers, two smokes and they’re off looking for a match usually in a completely different mindset.

I am a certified crisis intervention team member through my Police Dept. I have seen all kinds of individuals with all different kinds of "issues". I had a man once who claimed he was pregnant with satans baby. Two other officers looked at me and said "This one's all yours". My Chief tells all the newbies it takes a nut to deal with a nut and sometimes yeah you have to act somewhat crazy yourself with some people. We also have this one bear of a guy who likes to fight when he goes off call the troops but last time I dealt with him I sunk down to his level and no force had to be used and now when he goes off he always asks if I'm working because he'll only talk to me...

I had good luck with nut jobs over the years by entering their crazy. Unfortunately I think some of it stuck....😉

Seriously the 1 in 5 number of people with mental health issues is pure BS. We all have stress related issues in our lives from time to time but that's just life. I suspect that number is an invention of shrinks as a way of increasing traffic through their offices.

Our mental health system is inadequate to the challenges. Many pofoundly mentally ill running around loose should be institutionalized. Many others could be treated but lack of facilities, competent treatment professionals, and insurance coverage make treatment out of reach. Often the only recourse LE has is jail and that solves little, but does at least get them into the system. Fortunately most crazies are not dangerous but who is to know?

It is often difficult to distinguish whether the problem is mental illness or substance abuse, or both. Add drugs and alcohol to crazy and you often get super crazy and danger. It is a complex issue. I applaud departments that have implemented mental health crisis training programs like Wolfpack's. It is a worthwhile approach that can save lives and bring resources.

Seriously the 1 in 5 number of people with mental health issues is pure BS. We all have stress related issues in our lives from time to time but that's just life. I suspect that number is an invention of shrinks as a way of increasing traffic through their offices.

I've been noticing recently that a large portion of people in 30(ish) and under age group is claiming some type of mental health issue.

I've been noticing recently that a large portion of people in 30(ish) and under age group is claiming some type of mental health issue.
I have no idea what those numbers are. I do believe resilience comes from dealing with the normal vicissitudes of life when growing up. Children who have been shielded from all normal childhood stressors and have their narcissism fed will not be well prepared emotionally to deal with the daily adversity of adulthoood.

Back