testtest

Ever wonder what's inside?

Say you have a favorite cartridge with a favorite bullet and get to thinking....... what's inside? You want to duplicate so you pop the top and check inside.
Question:
1: can you identify the powder
2: if not certain, measure weight
3: cross check with load manual
4: leave it to the experts?

Do you have enough faith or knowledge in what you're doing? I'm by no means saying go to the next step and produce a possible duplicate! Lots of cats died for curiosity! Be safe always! Who has ever wondered about their factory ammo?

I do think about it however since I don’t reload I don’t obsess over it, for me if it shoots I’m good. I have seen some cross section pictures of rounds and read articles. I find it interesting on how it works.

The best you can do with the powder is find out the charge weight and type—ball, stick, etc—and go from there.

Fact is, though—the major cartridge companies are using canister powder that isn’t always available to reloaders.
In some cases they are using a special blend that's not available for freeloaders. Example: Hornady's superformace isn't Superformace powder.

In some cases they are using a special blend that's not available for freeloaders. Example: Hornady's superformace isn't Superformace powder.

In many cases, actually.

A friend tried to dissect a HST (forget caliber). Thought he had the propellant identified, but the charge weight from the powder he thought it was was far different. Tried several, never found an off the shelf powder that exactly duplicated factory loads.

Best to do is find a powder you like that will duplicate velocity within pressure limits.

Back