testtest

External Safety

USMC1911

Elite
My EDC carry SIG 320 does not have an external safety. I prefer to carry this way. My LEO TRAINING started with a Revolver and then I transitioned to a Glock. Neither had external Safeties. I have other firearms(1911’s) that have external safeties but are not my EDC. When shooting my 1911’s I sometime forget to hit the safety. How important is it to you when purchasing a pistol to have a external safety.

Attachments

• IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5831.jpeg
    IMG_5831.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 45
Long time Glock guy here as most already know, external safety, pass if I can, when I bought my Ruger Max-9, I got the pro version, no manual safety like my Glocks. My opinion, my finger is my safety and that’s all I should ever need.
Same ☝️☝️. I prefer not to mix, so I leave them off safe if it has one. That way it’s always consistent in my EDC or home defense options If I ever have to use them. Of course 1911 and other hammer fired handguns I do kept on safe when loaded, but these I normally don’t carry nor have in my home defense rotation.

Same ☝️☝️. I prefer not to mix, so I leave them off safe if it has one. That way it’s always consistent in my EDC or home defense options If I ever have to use them. Of course 1911 and other hammer fired handguns I do kept on safe when loaded, but these I normally don’t carry nor have in my home defense rotation.
Double Same, I do not carry anything EDC that has an external safety.

I have carried 1911s in the past and hope to again some day. I also carry a Keltec PF 9 that has no safety of any kind. Not even a blade in the trigger. I have a few pistols that have blade safeties in the trigger and one , an XDs .45 with a backstrap safety.

Having a handgun with a safety isn't a deal breaker for me but I don't have to have one. The biggest safety I have is right between my ears.

Several years ago I accidentally engaged the safety on a Third Generation S&W during a defensive pistol class. Had it happened in an actual fight I'm positive I would have been dead by the time I figured out the malfunction. I sold all my TDA hand guns within a week and I've carried Glocks or M&Ps (depending on which security company I worked for ) ever since.

Carried 1911’s for years. Never missed the safety on the draw. When I carried Glocks, I’d find myself thumbing off the nonexistent safety…

It’s all in how you train. Parroting “it will get you killed” is utter nonsense.
When at the range shooting my 1911's I draw (right thumb sitting on safety), acquire target, right thumb rides safety down then I fire. With my strikers I have the same sequence but my right thumb continues riding downward until coming to rest on the left.

I have carried a 1911 or Makarov for going on 25 years with Cpl, if you just count woods wandering bump that up to 40 plus years. Like Hans I actually find myself trying to thumb off the safety on the p365.

And no, I do not with a revolver, different feel.

I prefer a safety, is why I still am leaning towards replacing the P365xl striker, I prefer the safety snd hammer.

My EDC carry SIG 320 does not have an external safety. I prefer to carry this way. My LEO TRAINING started with a Revolver and then I transitioned to a Glock. Neither had external Safeties. I have other firearms(1911’s) that have external safeties but are not my EDC. When shooting my 1911’s I sometime forget to hit the safety. How important is it to you when purchasing a pistol to have a external safety.
It's more important not to have one. Unless it's a 1911.

Unless it's DAO or DA/SA it will have a safety. No half-cocked striker fired with only that little flapper thingy on the trigger for me. Yes carried a S&W M&P on duty for years, didn't have a choice. Like southtex I always swiped the non-existent thumb safety. Thats how I was trained all those years ago and didn't see any reason to break muscle memory for a fraction of a second of faster speed. Then I don't have a dog in the fight, 99% of my shooting is done with a wheel gun.

Unless it's DAO or DA/SA it will have a safety. No half-cocked striker fired with only that little flapper thingy on the trigger for me. Yes carried a S&W M&P on duty for years, didn't have a choice. Like southtex I always swiped the non-existent thumb safety. Thats how I was trained all those years ago and didn't see any reason to break muscle memory for a fraction of a second of faster speed. Then I don't have a dog in the fight, 99% of my shooting is done with a wheel gun.
I sometimes think it would be nice to have a safety on the P30 so I could carry it locked and cocked, but I suspect I just think I would. In reality I would still carry it decocked and would just have the stupid lever on the side of the thing.

If one thinks they have to have a safety to be safe, they probably should get more training and education before they carry. Not trying to be mean just is what it is!

My journey was I started with a DA revolver then Beretta M9. In the USAF We carried the M9 with a round chambered on fire. We also learned how LA Sheriff’s Department carried theirs on safe but did that 1911 type downward thumb swipe and the safety went to fire.

Had a 1911 for a run gun then got an Sig 220 had no issues going to a DA/SA with a De Cock and sort of like that design.

Have also used DAO Rugers and Berettas as a duty gun as well as Glock and now an HK 45 LEM.

I have shot enough of everything a safety doesn’t matter. And while Stiker fired guns are hard to beat. They are sort of the Smith K frames of the last few decades my preference just because I like how they shoot is DA Revolvers. HK LEM Sig P series and 1911’s the DAO Beretta M9’s were ok, the Rugers well everyone needs a boat anchor!

Shoot a couple matches. If you find yourself with a dead trigger or sluggish times to first shot because of the safety either put in the practice or look at something without a safety! But simply “feeling safe” because of a safety won’t help you when you need it!

Carried 1911’s for years. Never missed the safety on the draw. When I carried Glocks, I’d find myself thumbing off the nonexistent safety…

It’s all in how you train. Parroting “it will get you killed” is utter nonsense.
I totally agree. Before my neck surgery(2015) I carried a 1911 and had done so since the late 1970's. I never had a problem disengaging the safety under stress.

Nowadays I don't carry 1911s and have moved on to Glocks and other similar type handguns. I train more now than I used to because I have the time. (I'm retired.)

I'm not one to sit around watching television. I enjoy training (Empty hand and weapons(knives, Jo staff) in Martial Arts and with my firearms using snap caps.). When I get a new holster that I'm going to use daily, I'll focus on training with that set up several times a day until it becomes instinctive.

I'll be the first to agree that the biggest safety is one we have between our ears. And also that good training for short periods a few times each day builds muscle memory that makes us efficient which helps our action/reaction times.

Know thyself. Know thy gear. Keep It Simple Stupid...:) Practice. Practice. Practice.

Safety on all but one, a S&W that will soon get one thanks to @USMC6094 for giving me the idea ;)

I see no problem with it, some states require it, and it's part of training. MAS50 had it, PAMAS G1 had it, never been a problem. Back in the days the orders were even "empty chamber and safety on" :eek:

Not having one doesn't bother me, but like @HansGruber said, while using a handgun without one there is always this awkward "thumb grabbing at nothing" moment...

Back