testtest

Factory iron sights

Springfield saint victor with vortex spitfire 3x

Attachments

• 20200906_080047.jpg
    20200906_080047.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
Springfield saint victor with vortex spitfire 3x

It's hard to tell exactly but it seems to me like moving the Spitfire as far forward on the receiver as possible might work. I assume you don't have room for your rear flip up sight? Put it on a riser so you can see the irons underneath it?

Hans and most of these guys have more experience with these guns than I do, they probably have more useful advice.

My vision has gotten worse over the years, making it difficult to use some factory sights. I have gone to white outline sights on some handguns and recently tried a set of Mepro Bullseye sights. They are both fiber optic and trijicon. The front sight can be removed as the rear sight lights up when the pistol is aligned. Then just place dot on target and press off the shot. Seems to work pretty well for close work anyway. Not sure if I will try any other optics.

At the distance of 90+% of shootings, sights won't be a factor. It'll be all point shooting. So if you're talking a self defense handgun, my suggestion is to practice point shooting while getting the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture. A gunfight means a bad guy wants a good guy reduced to evidence and autopsied the following morning. Never make it easier for a bad guy to effect his diabolical scheme. You must learn to survive. Sights will work to the detriment of survivors.

If you're talking competition and/or target guns, go with sights/optics that are perfect for you.

Happy Halloween everyone...when adding a scope acog or red dot do you like to keep your front and rear iron sights??
Like others have stated , move the red dot forward a smidge so you can keep the irons on in the folded position.
You could also get 45 degree offset irons so the are out of the way. If red dot fails, tilt the gun 45 degrees and keep on shooting

At the distance of 90+% of shootings, sights won't be a factor. It'll be all point shooting. So if you're talking a self defense handgun, my suggestion is to practice point shooting while getting the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture. A gunfight means a bad guy wants a good guy reduced to evidence and autopsied the following morning. Never make it easier for a bad guy to effect his diabolical scheme. You must learn to survive. Sights will work to the detriment of survivors.

If you're talking competition and/or target guns, go with sights/optics that are perfect for you.

I agree that you must become proficient at point shooting. And more to the point, point shooting very quickly and accurately. But like everything else in the world, preparing for a SD situation involves imagining any number of possible and probable scenarios and preparing for as many as you can with minimum compromise to the most important aspects. It's all a compromise. A handgun IS a compromise. If you could walk around all day with an AR in low ready you would be infinitely more prepared. Having optics which make target acquisition faster ( obviously with training) AND having back up iron sights in case the optic fails is being prepared with almost no compromise. It doesn't hamper your point shooting ability at all to have sights. An optic, like a red dot, is somewhat of a compromise because it costs you concealability to some degree as well as presentation time. The compromise can be mitigated to a degree with training.

Either way I'll be keeping my iron sights.

Hi Bassbob,

I cannot disagree with you.

Here's my response to any potential life threatening encounter:

1. Avoid, avoid, and avoid ad infinitum
2. If avoidance ain't an option, don't get shot
3. Disengage and run at the first opportunity

I'd rather be a live witness than a dead hero.

If hightailing it to another county is an option, I'll do it before engaging. Getting shot could complicate my trout fishing plans.

Trading my life for a bad guy's life would be a fool's trade.

I do not want anything attached to any handgun I might use for self-defense. On the flip side, I get it that others have opposing beliefs.

Self-defense is personal. Survivors have to go with arrangements that work for them.

My guess is everyone could master point shooting out to 10'. With more practice, they can master it out to 15'. Once point shooting become instinctive (conditioned response), they should practice point shooting while moving to cover. It's imperative to get the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture.

Like stated find some BUIS. There are several good ones out. If need be run some 45 degree offset sights. If something can happen to your Red dot it will. Whether it be a rifle or pistol I will run back up sights.

When you get your sights be sure you sight them in.

Hi Bassbob,

I cannot disagree with you.

Here's my response to any potential life threatening encounter:

1. Avoid, avoid, and avoid ad infinitum
2. If avoidance ain't an option, don't get shot
3. Disengage and run at the first opportunity

I'd rather be a live witness than a dead hero.

If hightailing it to another county is an option, I'll do it before engaging. Getting shot could complicate my trout fishing plans.

Trading my life for a bad guy's life would be a fool's trade.

I do not want anything attached to any handgun I might use for self-defense. On the flip side, I get it that others have opposing beliefs.

Self-defense is personal. Survivors have to go with arrangements that work for them.

My guess is everyone could master point shooting out to 10'. With more practice, they can master it out to 15'. Once point shooting become instinctive (conditioned response), they should practice point shooting while moving to cover. It's imperative to get the heck outta a bad guy's sight picture.
I agree with all this. I have no optics or lights or any other crap on my carry guns. I do have sights which are accurate and I do drill point shooting, shooting from the hip, shooting off hand, etc..

Absolutely avoid and fight ( at least with lethal force) from a defensive position and as a last resort.

Back