testtest

Family Radio Service (FRS) vs General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Ham Radio isn’t the only option available for those who want to invest in emergency communications. Two other radio protocols – Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) – provide similar performance, but they’re easier and more affordable to get into. Plus, you don’t need to study to pass one of the FCC’s radio licensing tests. Let’s take a look at these two alternatives to amateur radio.

FRS vs GMRS

emergency-radios-frs-vs-gmrs-thumbnail-660x583.jpg

gmrs-two-way-radios.jpg

Ham Radio isn’t the only option available for those who want to invest in emergency communications. Two other radio protocols – Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) – provide similar performance, but they’re easier and more affordable to get into. Plus, you don’t need to study to pass one of the FCC’s radio licensing tests. Let’s take a look at these two alternatives to amateur radio.

FRS vs GMRS

emergency-radios-frs-vs-gmrs-thumbnail-660x583.jpg

gmrs-two-way-radios.jpg
Great information, exactly what I was looking for.

Ok so looking at GMRS handsets….
Need input on 3 manufacturers and model numbers from those familiar.

Wouxon kg-905G
Purchase in single units, pricy.

Baofeng GM-15
Sold in pairs.

Tidradio GM-15
Sold in pairs, accessories included, programmable through cell phone app decent price.

????

I have CB radios in the truck. years ago i had a couple base stations that had GMRS channels in it along with the CB channels. I've owned and still one set of midland radios we used for hunting. truthfully, they aren't worth a crap. In hilly country they won't go far.

When everyone got cell phones, we just texted each other. I met my wife on the CB radio. she also had a radio with GMRS channels and that's where we talked most. i didn't know what they were called back then. we just called em side channels.

Ok so looking at GMRS handsets….
Need input on 3 manufacturers and model numbers from those familiar.

Wouxon kg-905G
Purchase in single units, pricy.

Baofeng GM-15
Sold in pairs.

Tidradio GM-15
Sold in pairs, accessories included, programmable through cell phone app decent price.

????
Glad to see you found something that would work for you. GMRS does require a license but there's no test and you gain more than twice the power of FRS. My only caveat on these handhelds is not to expect it to work well inside your car or a building unless you're very close to a repeater or the person you want to talk with. The mobile units with the mag mount antenna will give you better range in the car. In addition to the models you listed I would also check out Motorola's GMRS products as I've heard some horror stories about the ham equipment from the manufacturers listed. Have fun on the air!

Last edited:
Glad to see you found something that would work for you. GMRS does require a license but there's no test and you gain more than twice the power of FRS. My only caveat on these handhelds is not to expect it to work well inside your car or a building unless you're very close to a repeater or the person you want to talk with. The mobile units with the mag mount antenna will give you better range in the car. In addition to the models you listed I would also check out Motorola's GMRS products as I've heard some horror stories about the ham equipment from the manufacturers listed. Have fun on the air!
Agree, some of those you listed are very very sketchy, can’t go wrong with a Motorola

Depending on your needs the handheld BaoFengs are useful radios, but they won’t help you talk cross-country.

Agree, some of those you listed are very very sketchy, can’t go wrong with a Motorola

Depending on your needs the handheld BaoFengs are useful radios, but they won’t help you talk cross-country.

Ok so the problem I’m coming up with is every Motorola hand held I research starts out saying FRS/GMRS in the description then when I dig deeper into individual units they describe them as full on ham radios requiring full licensing.

And honestly the only nightmare I’m finding is how multiple sites are selling Motorola radios claiming them to be FRS/GMRS only to research more about them and find out they are full on ham radios requiring full licensing.

I understand that but no test and $35 for 10 years.
What's wrong with getting a license? It last 10 years for GMR...I don't see an issue, plus on a ham radio, you can get to more people through repeaters if you need help or an emergency, you still can buy any radio, amateur or GMR without having a license, you just can't operate them

What's wrong with getting a license? It last 10 years for GMR...I don't see an issue, plus on a ham radio, you can get to more people through repeaters if you need help or an emergency, you still can buy any radio, amateur or GMR without having a license, you just can't operate them
Oh I agree with you on the $35 license for 10 years, I have no problem with that.
Sorry for the confusion.

What I was saying is that they start out saying GMRS then say they are full blown ham radios and test required license.

Confused again. 🤦‍♂️🙄😵‍💫😂😂😂😂

Oh I agree with you on the $35 license for 10 years, I have no problem with that.
Sorry for the confusion.

What I was saying is that they start out saying GMRS then say they are full blown ham radios and test required license.

Confused again. 🤦‍♂️🙄😵‍💫😂😂😂😂
No ham license need for a GMR. the FCC site is confusing, honestly, I know very little about GMR, I just went to amateur radio, for it you buy a Tech study guide, study it, then I found a local radio club and took my test, not sure how the GMR stuff works

Back