testtest

Federal Remanufactured 7.62

Dose anyone know if Federals remanufactured 149gr ammo is loaded with corrosive primers? Im not familiar with the whole corrosive primer issue other than I was told throughout my life. Starting at a young age. "Corrosive Primers Are Bad!"
Being as a box of reman is only half the cost of premium ammo and only two thirds the cost of good fresh ammo. I would assume Federal is using the cheapest primers they can get their paws on when remanufacturing ammo?

Never heard of main ammo mfgs (speer, remington, etc) doing reman ammo. Maybe just using fed cases?
Its reman NATO ammo originaly Manufacturered by Federal. The brass gor reman was probably collected on military base rifle ranges after gun quals and exercises.

This is Federals NATO ammunition. On the end of the box lower left corner, notice number XM80CL. This is how Federal identifies their NATO ammunition. Notice its not the standard AE .308 WIN 150 FMJ BT you usually see on the shelf. This 149gr FMJ spitzer load is less quality and has less consistency than the AE .308 WIN 150 FMJ BT civilian range ammo. It's about 1.00 a round here on the Island.
IMG_20230130_001755994_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230130_002035659_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230130_001943447_HDR.jpg

This is the standard Federal AE .308 WIN everyone is use to. Much cleaner brass and more consistent groupings. It is aprox 1.50per round here on the Island
IMG_20230130_001708906_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230130_001716526_HDR.jpg

Goodnight gents! 😴

Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!👍

Last edited:
7.62x51 ammo was the very first internationally universal ammunition available outside of the Eastern Bloc. In its initial specifications it was designed to use non corrosive primers no matter where in the world it was made insuring consistent uniformity. Giving NATO troops from all over the world supposedly the same POI in every NATO weapon should they arrive to assist a fellow nation.

In the US corrosive primers were last manufactured for the military in 1952. They were used up in manufacture until the supply ran out in 1953. So M2 ball made in 53 may or may not be corrosive depending on where and what month it was made. Any 54 and up headstamped ammo is non corrosive as is all 7.62x51 ammo which started being made in 55.

When the Chinese began selling their surplus SKSs most of the ammo they shipped used corrosive primers. The Eastern block surplus ammo also used corrosive primers as well. This was done to expand the life of stored ammo and were known as hard primers because a stronger firing pin spring was needed in military rifles to set the primer off. I find it is easier to clean an old surplus bolt action rifle if using corrosive ammo. However, I wouldn't recommend running corrosive ammo through semi-auto rifles.

Those are not reloads, they use lake city brass and are loaded to military specs the cases are not as bright cause they are annealed.
I didn't know that. Are you certain? I ask because Im not certain they are reman. I just know its cheaper ammo and its NATO.
I don't know anything about Lake City brass either. The brass used for these NATO rounds are stamped FC on the base.

Last edited:
I didn't know that. Are you certain? I ask because Im not certain they are reman. I just know its cheaper ammo and its NATO.
I don't know anything about Lake City brass either. The brass used for these NATO rounds are stamped FC on the base.
Federal American Eagle ammo isn’t reloads, it’s just the basic factory ammo

Federal American Eagle ammo isn’t reloads, it’s just the basic factory ammo
This isn't Federals standard AE this is Federals NATO. They changed labeling. The NATO ammo use to be boxed in plain white boxes simply labeled XM80CL on. It looked very plain and generic. This is the exact same ammo as just described and at about 10.00 cheaper a box in .308/7.62 NATO then Federals Standard AE ammo line.
IMG_20230130_001755994_HDR.jpg

Still too spendy for me. Just bought 500 rounds of ZSR M80 for $15.56/box of 20, delivered. Of course with my luck every other round will need 3 primer strikes to fire....never fired ZSR before...
20.00 a box is a great price for 7.62 on an Island in Alaska! 🤣🤣 I've tried ordering ammo several times from down south at a better price and I always get shut down one way or another! 👎👎

This isn't Federals standard AE this is Federals NATO. They changed labeling. The NATO ammo use to be boxed in plain white boxes simply labeled XM80CL on. It looked very plain and generic. This is the exact same ammo as just described and at about 10.00 cheaper a box in .308/7.62 NATO then Federals Standard AE ammo line.
View attachment 35919
Ok, I get what your saying, still, no USA manufacturer has corrosive primers anymore, but I get your meaning

Back