testtest

Felon caught selling guns on Facebook less than a month after jail release

Seems anymore that few sentences are "long enough". I've often considered that to be a real 'deterrent', it has to be bad enough to actually 'deter'. Otherwise all it does is prohibit a 2nd offender.
It's worse than that. If the sentence is too long and the reentry is too impossible, the long sentence turns the first time felon into a lifetime criminal.

It's worse than that. If the sentence is too long and the reentry is too impossible, the long sentence turns the first time felon into a lifetime criminal.
With all due respect Mr Schmidt, if that's the case, then the first sentence wasn't long enough. You seem to be implying that no sentence would lead to a population of non criminals. Nothing turns a "first time felon" into anything except the first time felon. It's his/her choice, and his/her choice alone to either become a 2nd offender or not.

Sorry if I sound hard. I've seen/experienced it up close and personal!

I think they should be put on the rock piles , making small rocks out of big rocks. I also think they should be made to cut the grass and weeds along side the highways with shackles on.

Do them like Sheriff Arpaio did. Give them bologna and cheese sandwiches with a 12 OZ soda for lunch . No concessions , they eat what is served them or nothing. Water when they want a drink. It shouldn't be treated like a luxury hotel with room service.

Would you have repeat offenders under these guidelines ? Yes , but I bet there would be a whole lot fewer of them. And if they are repeat offenders , give them a longer dose of the above the next time. JMHO!

I think the type and severity of the crime should determine the length of the sentence. Some murders are committed by first time offenders. Rape, no matter what should be a lengthy sentence. Kidnapping, armed robbery, violent offenses that aren’t self defense. There is logic in not turning a kid who stole a car or sold some dope into a hardened career criminal by giving them lengthy prison sentences. But there is also logic in executing murderers and rapists.

I think they should be put on the rock piles , making small rocks out of big rocks. I also think they should be made to cut the grass and weeds along side the highways with shackles on.

Do them like Sheriff Arpaio did. Give them bologna and cheese sandwiches with a 12 OZ soda for lunch . No concessions , they eat what is served them or nothing. Water when they want a drink. It shouldn't be treated like a luxury hotel with room service.

Would you have repeat offenders under these guidelines ? Yes , but I bet there would be a whole lot fewer of them. And if they are repeat offenders , give them a longer dose of the above the next time. JMHO!
I used to live in AZ and Arpaio had reinstalled chain gangs in the late 90's, that was great seeing these guys cleaning up on the side of the road when you drove by.

Back