testtest

Fiber Optic

HayesGreener

Hellcat
We have been hearing promises of broadband in rural areas for years. So far, long on promise, short on broadband, so we have been on satellite for years. I will say that Musk's Skynet has been excellent since we got it a few months ago.

So now the local provider is stringing Fiberoptic cable along the utility poles and we are close to having high speed broadband. It is my understanding that we would connect wirelessly to routers along the fiberoptic line but not too sure how that works. Anybody here using this sysem?

We have been hearing promises of broadband in rural areas for years. So far, long on promise, short on broadband, so we have been on satellite for years. I will say that Musk's Skynet has been excellent since we got it a few months ago.

So now the local provider is stringing Fiberoptic cable along the utility poles and we are close to having high speed broadband. It is my understanding that we would connect wirelessly to routers along the fiberoptic line but not too sure how that works. Anybody here using this sysem?
Typically, fiber comes direct to the house and is usually buried, not overhead. If you can somehow connect via a router you may see faster bandwidth, but not as quick as a direct hookup with fiber.

A couple of years ago ATT came round my neighborhood and signed up a lot of us because fiber was finally available to us. When the installer showed up he promptly told us that it was fiber to the main ATT junction box but copper to our houses and we wouldn’t see anywhere near the top fiber speeds. Needless to say, we told ATT to shove off. Just double check the specs before you sign on the dotted line.

Hi,

I have fiber pulled right to my house. I'm still using my cable modem because the fiber company is dragging its feet doing the final installation.

My cable connects to a cable modem in my office. The modem connects to my wireless router which covers all the devices in the house, tablets, phones, laptops, even the Firestick on the TV downstairs. I have a couple of devices hard wired to the router in my office, computer and printer. It's a pretty standard installation.

Similar to a cable modem, the fiber uses an Optical Network Terminator to connect to your personal router. Or maybe the fiber company supplies all the components. Either way, you'll have the com gear somewhere in your house and it can be wireless from there.

There are wireless 5G services available to feed internet without pulling a cable to your house but that depends on how close you are to the provider's cell towers.

Good geeky fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

If they run the Fiber to a WAP at street level then your internet is only as good as your home devices, I am running a network around a Ruckus R750 Dual Band IEEE 802.11ax Wireless Access Point so at least I don't lose all the bandwidth... I run everything in the house through a switch and the Ruckus. Hopefully they just run the fiber to your door and give you a fiber termination, then as long as you have an Optical input on your router you will be gtg.

After using "switches" with braodband my speeds were faster and not "bottlenecked" when using comps and gaming devices. Still, they're nowhere near FO speeds. FO can be overhead as area dictates and how the supplier wants to install. As far as from the junction to the house goes, I don't know what is used in my area (more like town 7 miles from me). They already have the FO wire and should bring it into your house. WiFi speeds can be reduced as dictated by your router. With a "mesh" router it uses 2.4 & 5.0 combined for faster speeds as others use the 2 independently.

i have FiOS from Verizon, piped into my house from the pole, same set up as cable basically, then into the control box, in the basement.

then from that control box, to the tv's, landline, and 'puter, it is ordinary cabling. NOT fiber optics.

my modem is for the FiOS network, and has WiFi, which then my Smart tv's can get the signals from.

if you get this, then shop for best "packages/contracts", for the number of years you want, with a price guarantee.

at the end of that contract, move on, or re-order, with the understanding that at EACH contract, the prices will jump, and the packages will change, as well as contract length of time.

you may but mostly may not, get all of your local tv channels

so if you have a favorite over the air tv channel??

you gotta check if they carry that.

and at ANY time.........they can remove a channel, due to who they buy it from, wanting more money for that channel.

it's give and take....they take...you give money.......seriously.......no pay tv service is Great.

Typically, fiber comes direct to the house and is usually buried, not overhead. If you can somehow connect via a router you may see faster bandwidth, but not as quick as a direct hookup with fiber.

A couple of years ago ATT came round my neighborhood and signed up a lot of us because fiber was finally available to us. When the installer showed up he promptly told us that it was fiber to the main ATT junction box but copper to our houses and we wouldn’t see anywhere near the top fiber speeds. Needless to say, we told ATT to shove off. Just double check the specs before you sign on the dotted line.
ATT is currently burying fiber drops (Service lines to houses) all over here. More accurately they are paying contractors with large Mexican workforces to bury fiber all over.

Not sure how you can hook to a fiber trunk wirelessly. As far as I know there has to be a drop coming to your house and hooking to a router or something.

ATT is currently burying fiber drops (Service lines to houses) all over here. More accurately they are paying contractors with large Mexican workforces to bury fiber all over.

Not sure how you can hook to a fiber trunk wirelessly. As far as I know there has to be a drop coming to your house and hooking to a router or something.
We must have the same crews here

Back