testtest

First AR

ARs were really not meant for steel cased ammo. Most will run it, but if you leave a round in the chamber of a hot gun for any length of time there's a fair to middling chance you're going to be knocking it out of there with a cleaning rod or something. It's also hard on the ejector and extractor.

Life's too short for steel cased ammo.
Yep, thanks, I know that now. But it being my first AR I got a little bad advise in the beginning. Thankfully I only bought 2 boxes, and still have some of it left.

No more steel case for my AR!

A cassette trigger can be removed without tools as most don't need antirotation pins. Plus some use sealed bearings and don't require the usual maintenance. Yes, they do cost more, but I found them to be more consistent on pull without grit feel or lots of take up. CMC are the easiest to clean and r/I without tools. But as all decisions go UT is a choice!

A cassette trigger can be removed without tools as most don't need antirotation pins. Plus some use sealed bearings and don't require the usual maintenance. Yes, they do cost more, but I found them to be more consistent on pull without grit feel or lots of take up. CMC are the easiest to clean and r/I without tools. But as all decisions go UT is a choice!
Hmm. The most expensive and highly regarded triggers are not cassette triggers. And I don’t think you’ll find any in service in the military.

Of course I’m no expert and everything ain’t for everybody.

One thing I forgot to mention and should swap out before anything else is the safety. I shoot rifles left handed (left eye dominant). I can operate it as is with my left thumb but it is awkward and not smooth. Getting that done is probably more important than upgrading the trigger and hand guard. I saw some videos on doing the swap and it seems pretty straight forward.

Hmm. The most expensive and highly regarded triggers are not cassette triggers. And I don’t think you’ll find any in service in the military.

Of course I’m no expert and everything ain’t for everybody.
I never mention anything about the military and their decisions. Do you know what was the minimum requirement for accuracy in/for m16/m4 is.........................4moa. Military doesn't make good decisions so I don't follow what they would do/require. Do you want all of your triggers to be 5+# of pull weight? Not me. It doesn't need to cost the most to be a great and reliable trigger. Military standard battle rifles are most likely a non-adjustable which means they are not cassette style, but get into their precision/sniper rifles I'd bet some are cassette type.........here's an example from Barrett

here an mrad trigger group

I never mention anything about the military and their decisions. Do you know what was the minimum requirement for accuracy in/for m16/m4 is.........................4moa. Military doesn't make good decisions so I don't follow what they would do/require. Do you want all of your triggers to be 5+# of pull weight? Not me. It doesn't need to cost the most to be a great and reliable trigger. Military standard battle rifles are most likely a non-adjustable which means they are not cassette style, but get into their precision/sniper rifles I'd bet some are cassette type.........here's an example from Barrett

here an mrad trigger group

My Hiperfires are around 3lbs.

Congrats on your "evil rifle". Hahaha, just kidding I have a few myself. Just graduated from an AR15 Master Armorers Course. My boss finally decided to send me after many years of maintaining the depts. I learned a lot. BassBob is right about the steel cased ammo. A fellow student asked one of the instructors in the class about steel cased ammo. After a few eye rolls he basically told us do not use it. The class was given by Sons of Liberty Gunworks. Great guys. Hope I didn't throw the thread off here. But anyways congrats on the new acquisition.

Congrats on your "evil rifle". Hahaha, just kidding I have a few myself. Just graduated from an AR15 Master Armorers Course. My boss finally decided to send me after many years of maintaining the depts. I learned a lot. BassBob is right about the steel cased ammo. A fellow student asked one of the instructors in the class about steel cased ammo. After a few eye rolls he basically told us do not use it. The class was given by Sons of Liberty Gunworks. Great guys. Hope I didn't throw the thread off here. But anyways congrats on the new acquisition.
Thanks. I have lots to learn. All info is appreciated. Looking forward to range day this friday. Going to sight it in with irons and get a feel for it. Should be a fun outing.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Ya know, I never cared one bit about ARs. Then about 5 years ago my wife of all people told me to buy one before they ban them. So I did. Then I built about 6 more. :rolleyes:
ARs were never really on my radar. I was more of walnut and steel “old stuff” kind of guy. Began thinking about an AR about a year ago. then about a month ago i was talking with an rso at the range who is a retired state trooper and still knows people in the upper reaches of the state police. He confirmed that an old pysch hospital not too far from me will be converted into a “migrant processing center”. His words were “crime in hunterdon county is about to skyrocket.” That was the last straw.
I’ve shot ARs in the past and they were always fun. So i’m sure i’ll like this rabbit hole.
This won’t be my first rabbit hole… i shoot old 22’s. Now that’s a rabbit hole of epic proportion.

Back