testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Do I know you … ?

I may have to re evaluate this friendship 🫣🤪

View attachment 31917
49A0719F-877F-4598-AEB8-2907BB477043.jpeg

Here’s yours truly enjoying a G&T after visiting the LGS on my last trip to Istanbul. I mentioned my good friend Mr. Erdogan and got an amazing friends and family discount.

Global Ordnance turned up on a list of scam/disreputable companies I read the other day.

And yeah, the ammo they are selling is all Turkish or something.
I've purchased stuff from them directly and so has my father. They regularly run free shipping on lots of stuff.

They're also the importer for Grand Power and the Stribogs. They're legit. Located north of me a couple hours.

Weird that it says they are a scam? Definitely not a scam at all.

Can't speak for the quality of the ammo though.

I have never dealt with them, but somehow I'm suddenly getting emails from them every day. Like I said, they popped up on a spam/scam list. I did notice their ammo is all Belom and other crap I never heard of and don't want to buy.
The Belom & Turan are NATO spec. Far better than all that Tula crap.

When they have their free shipping you can't beat their case prices.

Whelp!

Sending my Prodigy 5" out to Springfield today.
Oddly, first 600rds were flawless and suddenly around 650 it started to get FTF's and FTE's with multiple manufacturers ammo.

Ran another 300+ through it to get over 1,000 and it keeps happening. Not super frequently but every other mag or so and I've tried all 4 mags I have. Each mag it happens randomly to.

Ah well, will be interesting to see what Springfield does to fix it up. Will report more when I know.

Whelp!

Oddly, first 600rds were flawless and suddenly around 650 it started to get FTF's and FTE's with multiple manufacturers ammo.

Ran another 300+ through it to get over 1,000 and it keeps happening. Not super frequently but every other mag or so and I've tried all 4 mags I have. Each mag it happens randomly to.

Ah well, will be interesting to see what Springfield does to fix it up. Will report more when I know.
Please do. That seems particularly odd after 600 rounds that ran fine. How's the extractor?

Please do. That seems particularly odd after 600 rounds that ran fine. How's the extractor?
When I put in a spent casing in the slide to test, it wasn't holding it and it would drop out with little to no movement.

I never did the test prior to yesterday after 1,000rds since I wasn't having any issues until around 650rds, so I don't honestly know if it was always that way.

I took the extractor out and cleaned it, but decided to just send it in instead of troubleshooting further as several people have posted their issues were resolved after a trip to Springfield.

Whelp!

I was really wanting to get one of these, but with all the issues being reported, I am not so sure.

I was really wanting to get one of these, but with all the issues being reported, I am not so sure.
Honestly it's a dream to shoot.

I've enjoyed the hell out of it, even with the few issues I've had.

Everyone I've let try it loves it. Even the Range Officer at my local range asked to try it and loved it.

I'm not at all unhappy with it. It's a first run of a new product and if it has to go back once to get fixed up, then so be it. Lifetime warranty with postage paid both ways makes it an easy call to send it in. Can't wait to get it back from Springfield and go to the range with it again.

Hey folks, I need to replace the fiber optic on the front sight. does anyone know what dimeter the stock one is? Fell out after only 400 rounds, that's why I hate those fiber things. anyway I need to buy some fiber rods and I'm not sure what dia. they are. Thanks in advance.

Gus

A couple of weeks ago I reported on the Dawson one piece recoil rod for the Prodigy. At the time I saw a pretty nice solution for the two-piece recoil rod from 10-8 performance but it was out of stock. They have a reverse recoil spring plug for the 5 in Prodigy and I got a message that it was back in stock and I ordered one for the princely sum of $20.95. The 10-8 plug allows you to use a standard GI recoil rod and spring for a more traditional look. I think it looks very nice, although it’s a little fiddly holding it all in place when you reassemble the gun. I’ll be taking it to the range tomorrow and will report back. The Dawson captive recoil rod works perfectly, btw.

6FCF05B5-7655-4048-A610-C1728A20BF1E.jpeg

58CA83D7-37F2-4E3D-B48B-C14285E2728A.jpeg

97115597-D310-4D92-9F5A-FBF389C78BA8.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago I reported on the Dawson one piece recoil rod for the Prodigy. At the time I saw a pretty nice solution for the two-piece recoil rod from 10-8 performance but it was out of stock. They have a reverse recoil spring plug for the 5 in Prodigy and I got a message that it was back in stock and I ordered one for the princely sum of $20.95. The 10-8 plug allows you to use a standard GI recoil rod and spring for a more traditional look. I think it looks very nice, although it’s a little fiddly holding it all in place when you reassemble the gun. I’ll be taking it to the range tomorrow and will report back. The Dawson captive recoil rod works perfectly, btw.

View attachment 32425
View attachment 32427
View attachment 32426
I like how that looks…

Got the Prodigy to the range today with the 10-8 reverse plug and GI recoils rod and the gun felt fantastic. I do t have imperial data because banging ragged holes in targets has become the Prodigy’s SOP, but at today’s session the gun felt like it was in the zone, like I couldn’t miss if I tried. I like the Dawson one-piece piece guide rod, but I’ll continue to use the 10-8 for a while because I’m the gun felt so dialed in. Prodigy top left and bottom center at 10 and 15 yds

9EA90216-682A-472F-A259-FFFA7B0F6087.jpeg

Got the Prodigy to the range today with the 10-8 reverse plug and GI recoils rod and the gun felt fantastic. I do t have imperial data because banging ragged holes in targets has become the Prodigy’s SOP, but at today’s session the gun felt like it was in the zone, like I couldn’t miss if I tried. I like the Dawson one-piece piece guide rod, but I’ll continue to use the 10-8 for a while because I’m the gun felt so dialed in. Prodigy top left and bottom center at 10 and 15 yds

View attachment 32443
VERY Nice! Good to see the Dawson parts work well in it.

I got word my Prodigy is on its way back from Springfield soon. It has a laundry list of stuff done to it.
I'll report back once I get it back and see official itemized list.

I just received the shipping notification and invoice for my Prodigy.

Surprised the list is this extensive (especially replacing the safety as I didn't notice any problems with it), considering I didn't have any issues my first 600rds and only a handful of FTE's and FTF's through the rest of the first 1000.

Super happy with SA Customer Service and the turn around time! 5 business days and it's on its way back already.

Almost feel like they went the extra mile and gave it a custom tune up job :LOL: I cannot wait to get it back and see how it shoots after all this!

Attachments

• repair-sheet.jpg
    repair-sheet.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 112
It’s a little bit alarming that all of that was deemed necessary by SA. Was that much of it out of spec? I might send mine in just to get the VIP treatment. I suspect tuning the extractor probably did the trick. Let us know how it runs.

It’s a little bit alarming that all of that was deemed necessary by SA. Was that much of it out of spec? I might send mine in just to get the VIP treatment. I suspect tuning the extractor probably did the trick. Let us know how it runs.
I had zero issues up until around 650rds so yea, bit strange all of that was needed. Honestly I only had one or two FTE's and FTF's every other mag (consistently though) after that so maybe they went the extra mile? Dunno.

I sent them pictures of both types of failures as well.

Definitely not complaining. It was fun to shoot before, so I can only imagine what it's like now with all that work done to it.

I had zero issues up until around 650rds so yea, bit strange all of that was needed. Honestly I only had one or two FTE's and FTF's every other mag (consistently though) after that so maybe they went the extra mile? Dunno.

I sent them pictures of both types of failures as well.

Definitely not complaining. It was fun to shoot before, so I can only imagine what it's like now with all that work done to it.
Oddly enough I have a Shadow Systems DR920 Elite that has run flawlessly for 700 rounds and like a switch was thrown turned into a jam-o-matic. I actually bumped into one of their people at the range this weekend and they couldn’t get it to run either, so it is on its way back to the mothership.

I just received the shipping notification and invoice for my Prodigy.

Surprised the list is this extensive (especially replacing the safety as I didn't notice any problems with it), considering I didn't have any issues my first 600rds and only a handful of FTE's and FTF's through the rest of the first 1000.

Super happy with SA Customer Service and the turn around time! 5 business days and it's on its way back already.

Almost feel like they went the extra mile and gave it a custom tune up job :LOL: I cannot wait to get it back and see how it shoots after all this!
Are they sending you 3 new magazines along with the work they did?

Back