testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Yes. Absolutely. But lets keep this thread on track about front sights.

I have read about your aversion to common multi industry antivibratory locking agents that are specified by engineers across industries and used daily. No need to rehash it here.
No intention of that. I was just curious. i assume you realize red loctite is more or less permanent on threads or at least extremely difficult to remove, but then it appears you didn't put it on threads of any sort, just ( I assume) on the mating surface between the bottom of the sight and the slide ?

Red Loc-tite eh?
0FC1130F-2E8C-4A9B-B5D7-2671CB3BB9F7.gif

Morning all.
Just joined and I didn’t see a “Welcome newbie” area..

Picked up my 1911DS 4.25 commander size Saturday from a LGS, field stripped, cleaned and oiled same day and took it to the range Sunday.
Very disappointed but optimistic. When it went bang, it is a tack driver.
4 mags for the pistol, two it came with and I bought 2 20 rounder from Springfield from my LGS.
I always number my mags with a sharpie to identify issues. All 4 mags, 1 17 round, 3 20 round had issues. I couldn’t get more than 2-3 shots off out of any mag without it locking Up or FTF. Luckily, I did my research. 2-3 time per mag I had to grab the slide and “palm” the grip to get it to un jam.

However, my luck just ran out. Between cars, bikes, guns, etc., I’ve always had good luck with so called “Internet problem” stuff. Just not the case here.

I knew exactly what I was getting into and the possible issues from multiple forums, videos, reviews, etc.
I’m always of the opinion that if 1 person has a problem, 100 don’t. You don’t hear from the 100…most of the time.

I emailed Springfield Armory yesterday and I expect they’ll ask me to send it in, no issue to me. I tried 124 and 115 FMJ. Ran about 200 rounds through it…it was really painful. I fully expect any new gun to have a few issues but this was way, way above and beyond that. Again, not complaining, just stating. The same ammo ran flawless with my two Sigs I brought with me.

Folks, once SA makes this right, I’m excited. It fires very, very nice and I was able to hold nice groupings at 7 and 10 yards when I could shoot 2-3 times in a row. My serial number is in the 24000 range, so..I’m guessing SA sequentially numbers their arms.

New to SA, lots of Sigs, M&Ps and a Glock in my safe… really looking forward to run this gun as I know it can be run.

Morning all.
Just joined and I didn’t see a “Welcome newbie” area..

Picked up my 1911DS 4.25 commander size Saturday from a LGS, field stripped, cleaned and oiled same day and took it to the range Sunday.
Very disappointed but optimistic. When it went bang, it is a tack driver.
4 mags for the pistol, two it came with and I bought 2 20 rounder from Springfield from my LGS.
I always number my mags with a sharpie to identify issues. All 4 mags, 1 17 round, 3 20 round had issues. I couldn’t get more than 2-3 shots off out of any mag without it locking Up or FTF. Luckily, I did my research. 2-3 time per mag I had to grab the slide and “palm” the grip to get it to un jam.

However, my luck just ran out. Between cars, bikes, guns, etc., I’ve always had good luck with so called “Internet problem” stuff. Just not the case here.

I knew exactly what I was getting into and the possible issues from multiple forums, videos, reviews, etc.
I’m always of the opinion that if 1 person has a problem, 100 don’t. You don’t hear from the 100…most of the time.

I emailed Springfield Armory yesterday and I expect they’ll ask me to send it in, no issue to me. I tried 124 and 115 FMJ. Ran about 200 rounds through it…it was really painful. I fully expect any new gun to have a few issues but this was way, way above and beyond that. Again, not complaining, just stating. The same ammo ran flawless with my two Sigs I brought with me.

Folks, once SA makes this right, I’m excited. It fires very, very nice and I was able to hold nice groupings at 7 and 10 yards when I could shoot 2-3 times in a row. My serial number is in the 24000 range, so..I’m guessing SA sequentially numbers their arms.

New to SA, lots of Sigs, M&Ps and a Glock in my safe… really looking forward to run this gun as I know it can be run.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys here with these guns and lots of potential issues discussed. Including heavier recoil springs. The good news is that SA is very good about customer service. Don’t waste your time emailing them though. Just call them and they’ll take care of you.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys here with these guns and lots of potential issues discussed. Including heavier recoil springs. The good news is that SA is very good about customer service. Don’t waste your time emailing them though. Just call them and they’ll take care of you.
Thanks Bob.
I wanted to get on record the issues, hence the email. Plus, it was Sunday. :)
I will call them later today If I don’t get an email response by EOD.
I’m not uptight, angry or even in a hurry. Just wanted to share my first hand experience as an average Joe walking into a LGS and hitting the range.

Thanks for the welcome.

I have read about your aversion to common multi industry antivibratory locking agents that are specified by engineers across industries and used daily. No need to rehash it here.
Actually this thread has pretty much turned into an all things Prodigy thread, so if you’re asking about red loctite you get what you get.

Thanks Bob.
I wanted to get on record the issues, hence the email. Plus, it was Sunday. :)
I will call them later today If I don’t get an email response by EOD.
I’m not uptight, angry or even in a hurry. Just wanted to share my first hand experience as an average Joe walking into a LGS and hitting the range.

Thanks for the welcome.
Called into CS, 5 minute phone call, RMA setup. Very very easy, a few questions, then info gathered from me.
Two emails within 10 minutes, one an RMA number and instructions, the second the FedEx label.
My strong advice for all.. call the number for FedEx and ask which location accepts dangerous goods and firearms. Don’t assume. If you look at the FedEx website It states only FFL can ship firearms. I called and they gave me the nearest location…after I explained the confusion from their website. The rep said…that is for new/used firearm sales, not warranty by manufacturer.

Called into CS, 5 minute phone call, RMA setup. Very very easy, a few questions, then info gathered from me.
Two emails within 10 minutes, one an RMA number and instructions, the second the FedEx label.
My strong advice for all.. call the number for FedEx and ask which location accepts dangerous goods and firearms. Don’t assume. If you look at the FedEx website It states only FFL can ship firearms. I called and they gave me the nearest location…after I explained the confusion from their website. The rep said…that is for new/used firearm sales, not warranty by manufacturer.
Welcome to the forums and also as a fellow Prodigy owner.

I had 1k+ rounds before I sent mine in but they did a nice job on it, only gone 10 days from the time I dropped it off till it was back at my door.

Do you happen to own a Staccato mag by chance? (REALLY long shot but you never know)

Welcome to the forums and also as a fellow Prodigy owner.

I had 1k+ rounds before I sent mine in but they did a nice job on it, only gone 10 days from the time I dropped it off till it was back at my door.

Do you happen to own a Staccato mag by chance? (REALLY long shot but you never know)
Thank You. I do not own a Staccato mags… this is actually my first and only 1911 style, all the rest are polymer striker fired. I bought two 20 rounders from my local LGS new in bag from Springfield… all I have. I figured factory new gun, factory new mags.. let Springfield work their magic. As I said, when it fires, damn it’s a nice pistol!!!

Personally, I am happy to know about other options to get the "same thing". It's just like how I have a DW Guardian in 38 Super. I love a lightweight bobtail Commander. It was the most affordable pistol of that type that I knew of. I recently learned that Tisas was making the Bantam and Stingray. Both are lightweight bobtail Commanders, in 9mm and 45, and for a lot less money than the DW. I bought Bantams in 9mm and 45 (and they are nice! - not junk).

And now, I have just ordered a RIA/Armscor TAC Ultra FS HC 9mm (SKU 51679). I wouldn't have known about it were it not for @Archym 's post. So, I really appreciate him sharing the info that it exists. And I got it for $790 (no tax, free shipping, free transfer at my local gun club).

I read and watched all the reviews I could find. I have seen tons of info on people having problems with their new Prodigy. I found almost no bad reviews on the Rock - except one guy that had some extractor issues with certain types of ammo. And the Rock has been around since something like 2014! The only real knock has been people's ability to get mags for it - which may yet bite me, too.

If there are any Prodigy owners in the Columbia, SC, area, I would be MORE than happy to meet up after I receive my Rock and do some shooting to compare them. I'm a member at Panteao (now Champion Defense?) and happy to host there for free, or meet at whatever other range you prefer.

I have a custom built STI 2011 in 45 that I've had for about 25 years now. I'll be comparing it to that, of course, for sure. I had a Para-Ordnance P12 back years ago, for concealed carry, but I went away from trying to conceal a double stack 45 long ago and sold that little brick.

From all the videos I watched and the specs on the weight of the Rock, I'm kind of expecting it to need a trigger job (as ANY stock, production gun would - for me, anyway), and otherwise be a super fast and flat shooter, ready for match use. Polymer framed guns have been very trendy, for a while. But, steel framed guns are making a resurgence these days and I think it's mainly because they are easier to shoot fast, which makes them better for competition.

I have been shooting mostly Carry Optics in USPSA and Steel Challenge, but if the Rock shoots like I think it will, I might switch to primarily shooting Limited. We'll see.

Anyway, I was interested in the Prodigy when it was announced (which is how I ended up in this thread), but my interest waned pretty quickly, after seeing all the details, and then all the issues people have had. Thank you again to @Archym for posting the info about the Rock. Almost half the cost and it looks (on PAPER) like it will actually be better for shooting matches with.

So, seriously. If anybody around here wants to meet and swap around guns. please PM me! I would certainly love to try a Prodigy!
I just picked up a RIA Widebody 9mm today.

Might be a bit until I can give it a try…but I’m gonna run the snot out of it.
6C4D56D6-B143-464F-B19D-D63D0EA66C2C.jpeg

“Keep this thread on track” 😂😂😂😂😂
You do know this is an open forum right?
Also this thread was (not) originally about front sights so………..

No intention of that. I was just curious. i assume you realize red loctite is more or less permanent on threads or at least extremely difficult to remove, but then it appears you didn't put it on threads of any sort, just ( I assume) on the mating surface between the bottom of the sight and the slide ?
Bob @Sol-Invictus didn’t use Loc-Tite he used
“Multi industry antivibratory locking agents”

Back