testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Got my Prodigy out to go to the range today and I noticed the fiber optic rod was missing. No big deal, had some spare rods that fit and replaced it. Decided to call Springfield to see if they could send me a couple of green rods and did not really expect to get through on a Friday afternoon, but lo and behold they answered and a couple of rods are going in the mail. Just wanted to give kudos to SA’s great customer service and once again reiterate to one and all, call them, don’t email them if you need to get hold of them. Well done Springfield!

Got my Prodigy out to go to the range today and I noticed the fiber optic rod was missing. No big deal, had some spare rods that fit and replaced it. Decided to call Springfield to see if they could send me a couple of green rods and did not really expect to get through on a Friday afternoon, but lo and behold they answered and a couple of rods are going in the mail. Just wanted to give kudos to SA’s great customer service and once again reiterate to one and all, call them, don’t email them if you need to get hold of them. Well done Springfield!
I wish they included a spare fiber optic rod with the gun.

I actually got several spares with my XD a couple years ago, along with a lock and several other items.

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are forgoing any spare items with the gun now a days.

Anyone heard any news on the adapter plates?
That is what I was coming here to post. Lol. I am going to call them Monday since my new Romeo 1 Pro 6 moa just showed up.

By the way mine continues to run like a champ. I even stopped cleaning it. Just lube after shooting. I was running the 13lb spring last outing since I was switching between really hot loads and mag techs. I had a couple issues one day with some crap grind ammo but I am right around the 2500 round count and it is flawless.

With the 13lber those +P cases fly about 12ft lol.

Found a gunsmith that will cut & refinish my slide for an optic…now I just need to decide what I want.
I'm debating the same thing . Which plate system to go with . As there are a number . Once you mill it you are stuck there . I am curious whether have the gun milled to accept the Staccato system sold by Dawson or Chpws . Both those plate systems have the Rear sight integrated on the plate . Or going with Bul Armory's system Where you buy plates and have the rear sight re-milled for a glock rear taller sight . WHatever system you go with you'll be married to . But you are anyway with STI or SA or even Bull or anyone else's

I'm debating the same thing . Which plate system to go with . As there are a number . Once you mill it you are stuck there . I am curious whether have the gun milled to accept the Staccato system sold by Dawson or Chpws . Both those plate systems have the Rear sight integrated on the plate . Or going with Bul Armory's system Where you buy plates and have the rear sight re-milled for a glock rear taller sight . WHatever system you go with you'll be married to . But you are anyway with STI or SA or even Bull or anyone else's
It's funny...my Canik came with 5 different plates that fit almost any optic on the one pistol.

Definitely want to hear what they say about it.
Well it looks like my gunsmith was right. Got my Prodigy back from Springfield and the barrel ramp is now flush with the mag well. They noted that they resurfaced and polished the ramp and replaced a few other little things. The recoil spring does seem to be a little weak for my liking (doesn't always chamber round from slide lock with full mag with the vigor I like) but I have had zero malfunctions with ball or hollow points with 200 plus rounds. I will probably try a heavier spring at some point.

My fathers Walther came with every plate needed a few years ago - but they recently stopped including them.
Yup. Walther now offers you one free adapter plate, which you can claim with a code from your pistol purchase.

My M&P 10mm came with pretty much every plate you need, but they are polymer, and since this was a 10mm gun, I opted for the beefier metal plate/steel screws from C&H Precision.

Yup. Walther now offers you one free adapter plate, which you can claim with a code from your pistol purchase.

My M&P 10mm came with pretty much every plate you need, but they are polymer, and since this was a 10mm gun, I opted for the beefier metal plate/steel screws from C&H Precision.
Back when I got my Q5 it came with 3 plates.

This will be on my RIA Ultra Match…I’m not going to muck with baseplates; I’ll have the slide machined with the footprint I want…I just need to decide what optic.

This will be on my RIA Ultra Match…I’m not going to muck with baseplates; I’ll have the slide machined with the footprint I want…I just need to decide what optic.
I have considered that system of direct mounting vs plates . Although I have read opinions that Directly mounting is harder on the optic . Which I am skeptical about . Also with a direct mount . What I see on web pages offering milling services . They offer the direct mount for the smaller sight footprint only . Like the Holosun K series . With the C type they recommend a plate . I assume because the sights hangover on a 1911 a fair bit .

1 week + ago I bought a 4.25 prodigy with a SN around the mid 15000. Cleaned, lubed it wet, and then fired 450 rnds... even-ish mix of 115-147ball and 115-147 hollow points to include crit def and crit duty +p. No malfunctions whatsoever ( I did re-clean and lube at the 300 rnd mark because she started to get sluggish) even though the 17 rnd mag rattled like a maraca until seated in the gun (20 rnd mag no issues). There was minor, minor "wanting to hang up" on the disconnector prior to firing, after the string of fire...slide to frame is glass on glass. I hope I am not a " lucky" one and that SA has simply fixed all the aforementioned issues in later production runs...Time and rounds will tell but from my current point of view, my gun runs as well as my ed brown or wilson single stack. ( 1st dive into the DS (2011) 1911 realm btw and I am happy)...

P.S.
Side note...I trust this gun enough to carry it even with its critical reviews. Those reviews simply just don;t apply to my prodigy.

Mine will be back home from SA Tuesday. Less than 10 business days from day of receipt to back in my hands…that’s pretty good!
Reamed and polished the chamber, polished the ramp, refit the barrel, tuned the extractor and replaced a sear spring. Looking forward to some range time!!

Back