testtest

First Look: XD-M Elite 3.8” Compact OSP

Thanks. My Red Dot search continues. As far as Springfield I agree with the phone call to customer service. They have responded quickly and efficiently in the past. I just felt an email would be easier. Guess not. I do not think after having 4 of their pistols I am likely to try a fifth. I've owned Glocks, Smith and Wessons, Sigs and a few others. 9s, 40s 45s and a 380 mostly. Toss inn occasional 25 38 and 357s. All have been fine guns. The Springfield in either 9 or 45 just fit better in my hand (grip angle, etc). The magazine problem, at least for me, was just getting rid of the flared part of the mag well. The old mags work no problem. I just did like the baseplate of the new mags. Oh well.

Am not thinking SA sells just mag base-plates to consumers as in like to the members here. Complete mags, yes. From looking at SA's WEB store, that's what's available. There are some other online aftermarket companies that do sell the base-plates if you do a web search. Some of the aftermarket base-plates also offer extensions to increase mag ammo.

SA's Store: https://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/Firearm-Accessories-c13.htm

I really like the concealability of this compact model, but miss having a full-size firing grip, so I removed the magwell and switched to the 19-round magazine with sleeve. The added weight seems to improve balance as well. Note. I am still able to conceal without any printing using my current setup.
IMG_20220416_145058_01.jpg

Last edited:
I am loving my XDM Elite 3.8 compact in 10mm it’s a fantastic gun, a smooth shooter and very concealable, I also need more grip area for my larger hands so I also removed the mag well and use the extended mags.
4EF22F2D-0A5C-42C5-9784-BD633956ED4B.jpeg

I did put the Holosun 507C X2 on it.
The trigger is awesome as noted by @David N. the holster I’m currently using is a Blackhawk Serpa while I continue to look for a full leather rig.
B8588F20-19DF-4B15-B638-FB28B6E6C299.jpeg

I just bought the xdm elite compact that comes with the 14 round mags. I know I can remove the mag well.. but the only 19 round magazines I'm seeing with a sleeve are marked as xdm. As long as I choose the right back strap size will these work in the xdm elite?
I think you have two ways to go for an extended magazine.

1. Leave the mag well on, and use a normal 19 round mag, which will hanging out and not a seamless part of the grip frame. It will be a little dorky looking, but I would think it will latch in there.

2. Remove the mag well, and use the 19 round extended that has the sleeve around it, which are the ones I use with my XD-M compact, the predecessor to the XD-M Elite Compact. Mine has no mag well, and those 19 round mags have a sleeve around them which makes for a nice grip extension.

When I carry my XD-M Compact, I have the 13 round flush mag in it, and a 19 round with the grip extension as my spare mag.

They show what this looks like here, along with a link to purchase mags for it:

When I registered each of my Springfield firearms, I received an email with a one time use discount code, to buy mags and such for half off. I bought 5 mags for each XD-M with that discount. For the compact, I have two of the flush and 3 of the extended mags.

Unfortunately, the extended mags for the compact have a fixed backstop, and I just went with the medium, since I kept that on my pistols. If you used a different backstrap size choose the right one.

Heck - that 35 round mag they have will fit your pistol if you want something like that hanging out. Might be fun at the range, but I wouldn't want to carry it on my belt or in a pocket! ;)

Last edited:
I'll add another comment.

I've got a full sized XD-M - the old XDM 5.25 competition pistol in 9mm. I bought the compact for carry, and I am just not sure how I feel about the flared mag-well on a carry pistol. I feel like the grip is already so short when using the shorter magazine on the pistol, that I would have my pinky or something hanging below that mag-well flare. And I'm already trying to hide the butt of the XD-M Compact under my shirt, and the mag-well flaring makes for a sharper edge to be seen through your shirt. I'm not sure its worth it to have that 1 extra round in the mag while carrying concealed.

Depending on what I am wearing, I am carrying in either a Crossbreed Snap-Slide (OWB) or Crossbreed Supertuck (IWB). In both cases, that butt of the pistol is the thing that seems to cause the most risk of imprinting.

I would love the flared mag-well on my full sized XD-M, just saying I am not sure it lends itself as the best idea for concealed carry.

Back