testtest

First Look: XD-M Elite 3.8” Compact OSP

I love my XD-M Elite 3.8" with the full-length grip. One of the things that drew me to the gun was the 20+1 capacity. The 3.8" Compact are getting all of the attention lately, but the original is an excellent gun that shouldn't be overlooked. It may not be the easiest handgun to conceal, but it can be done and the gun is tons of fun at the range.

I'm seriously considering an upgrade to this model. I picked up my non-OSP model last year when it was first released, and have trouble seeing the front sight clearly.

What concerns should I have with the HEX Dragonfly optic, if any?

I'm seriously considering an upgrade to this model. I picked up my non-OSP model last year when it was first released, and have trouble seeing the front sight clearly.

I have the same questions @David N.

I actually now see a fair amount of inventory on the 3.8 compact OSP online. PSA even has one with the dragonfly pre assembled for 749. I am also contemplating getting an OSP version from Shoot Point Blank as I get a fair discount to drive their price to 550 out the door.

I always wanted one after o got my hellcat, but inventory was non existent. Not sure I would run a red dot on it but when looking last night, it seems you need an adapter plate? Per the SA store they sell plates for just about every dot which makes me think there are no default patterns on there? (Even the Hex dragonfly needs a plate).

anyone know if one fits without a plate? @xdman ?

Given how high it will ride the sights should be suppressor height like they do with Sig p320 rxp.

info is welcome!

Does anyone know if a Surefire X 300 Ultra fit on it?
It’s a longer light and rides right up to edge of my Gen 3 19.
EA702865-0883-4CF8-8408-93F92FBD0F07.jpeg

From the article...
"you simply remove the plate and mount the optic of your choice with the appropriate mounting plate."
Not necessarily true. The Firefly does not come attached to the slide.
It is "packaged" together. You are given a tiny wrench and instructed to remove a plate from the slide, install the Firefly plate etc. OK if you can get the plate off. I ordered the gun 26 April, received it 16 June and sent it back to Springfield 18 June to have them remove the plate and install the Firefly. 1st time and last time I purchase a firearm based on trust. This is my 4th Xdm. Never thought I'd be installing a sight. My fault. I've emailed Springfield but, as usual with their email, have not / do not expect a response. Called the customer care number and got a quick response. Great people there. Send in the slide. No one local in my little town (Chicago Il) to handle the work. Wait another 4-6 weeks. Thank the Lord I do not need this gun. Knowing what I know I would not have ordered the gun, and likely would have went with another choice, not necessarily Springfield.

From the article...
"you simply remove the plate and mount the optic of your choice with the appropriate mounting plate."
Not necessarily true. The Firefly does not come attached to the slide.
It is "packaged" together. You are given a tiny wrench and instructed to remove a plate from the slide, install the Firefly plate etc. OK if you can get the plate off. I ordered the gun 26 April, received it 16 June and sent it back to Springfield 18 June to have them remove the plate and install the Firefly. 1st time and last time I purchase a firearm based on trust. This is my 4th Xdm. Never thought I'd be installing a sight. My fault. I've emailed Springfield but, as usual with their email, have not / do not expect a response. Called the customer care number and got a quick response. Great people there. Send in the slide. No one local in my little town (Chicago Il) to handle the work. Wait another 4-6 weeks. Thank the Lord I do not need this gun. Knowing what I know I would not have ordered the gun, and likely would have went with another choice, not necessarily Springfield.
Chicago here as well. Sorry that happened. There are several places that would have helped near Chicago if not in chi limits.

next time hit this board up, or PM me if you need Chicago info on anything.

Springfield replied to my email. The result is to send in the slide. The point of my post is that the Dragonfly is not affixed to the slide. The slide has a plate that must be removed in order to install the Dragonfly. I would think that would've been done before shipping the gun. I have had my sights changed to some night type sights ( Trijicon, fiber optic etc). That was to be expected. I am surprised it happened in this case because I specifically ordered the 3.8" 9mm with the red dot, the Dragonfly, and expected to pick up the gun, done. This is my 1st red dot gun. From a company I believed to sell decent firearms. Not add an additional number of weeks after waiting 2 1/2 months. I admit I am naive in this matter. Lesson learned. I could've had the slide / sight work done in Chicago. At my expense. I do not see that as reasonable after spending good money on it to begin with. I would not do that again ( fool me twice aint going to happen). I just trusted Springfield to deliver a product as described. Teah if you really read the description it says "shipped with". Sorry I glanced over that. The gun also ships with regular sights, trigger group etc. Amazingly those come INSTALLED. I am posting this to make others aware that the top plate will not always come off with the tiny tool they supply. Of the 3 screws I was able to loosen one. With my own T10 torx bit, not the little baby tool they supplied. Just so people are aware of what the job entails. One of my questions is this what the other manufactures do, ship and not install their red dot sights?

I have a Reckoning holster from Crossbreed Holsters for my XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact [non-OSP] and I believe it will fit this newer model as well. The holster shell comes up just short of the pin hole on the frame that secures the loaded chamber indicator. The only clearance issue I would see with this holster are the belt clips, which may need to be adjusted for clearance.
No clearance issues with this holster. I verified fit last night with my new pistol.

No noticeable issues with the HEX Dragonfly, so far. I will report back if I encounter any.

Couple updates. I still have to fire the gun. The gun fits the same holsters as my other XDm pistols with the red dot attached (a couple 45s and another 9mm 3.8). This sight does not cowitness with the stock fixed sights. It does not turn on automatically. After a few hours "at rest" you need to hit the power button. If the battery needs replacing you must remove the sight and recalibrate as needed. As far as the 9mm 3.8 Elite; this gun has a flared mag well. You can not use magazines from a prior gun without 1st ditching the mag well. A few weeks ago, I inquired from Springfield about getting baseplates to upgrade the older mags, but have not heard a response. Same as when they sent my slide back. No message / email telling me the status. Just one day the slide is in the mailbox. I think my search for a red dot continues. And likely my last Springfield.

Couple updates. I still have to fire the gun. The gun fits the same holsters as my other XDm pistols with the red dot attached (a couple 45s and another 9mm 3.8). This sight does not cowitness with the stock fixed sights. It does not turn on automatically. After a few hours "at rest" you need to hit the power button. If the battery needs replacing you must remove the sight and recalibrate as needed. As far as the 9mm 3.8 Elite; this gun has a flared mag well. You can not use magazines from a prior gun without 1st ditching the mag well. A few weeks ago, I inquired from Springfield about getting baseplates to upgrade the older mags, but have not heard a response. Same as when they sent my slide back. No message / email telling me the status. Just one day the slide is in the mailbox. I think my search for a red dot continues. And likely my last Springfield.
Last heard their email system has issues. Likely still does?

Best bet to contact Springfield Armory is to call them. Have always had great service with them on phone.
Normally they're one of the best found in Customer Service.

SA Customer Service phone number: 1-800-680-6866

Thanks. My Red Dot search continues. As far as Springfield I agree with the phone call to customer service. They have responded quickly and efficiently in the past. I just felt an email would be easier. Guess not. I do not think after having 4 of their pistols I am likely to try a fifth. I've owned Glocks, Smith and Wessons, Sigs and a few others. 9s, 40s 45s and a 380 mostly. Toss inn occasional 25 38 and 357s. All have been fine guns. The Springfield in either 9 or 45 just fit better in my hand (grip angle, etc). The magazine problem, at least for me, was just getting rid of the flared part of the mag well. The old mags work no problem. I just did like the baseplate of the new mags. Oh well.

Back