testtest

First Range Trip - FDE Hellcat

markr6754

Elite
Founding Member
I can’t believe that I actually made it through the weekend without a range trip. Finally, I gathered up my Hellcat and 3 other 9mm pistols (Honor Defense Honor Guard, Taurus G2C, and Kimber Micro 9), and hit the range. Naturally, first course was 2 boxes of Sellior & Bellot 115gr FMJ. I had already cleaned and lubed each pistol, but this was the first meal served to the Hellcat.

There’s nothing more satisfying than having a pistol fire first time, and every subsequent trigger pull. The Hellcat is a bit snappy, as multiple video reviewers have previous noted. Nonetheless, I continued firing, seeking to get used to the trigger, the sights, and the recoil. After I was satisfied that the Hellcat was functioning without issues I loaded the same ammo onto the other pistols. Interestingly, I found the S&B ammo to be snappy in all of the pistols, with the Kimber Micro 9 being the snappiest.

Next came a selection of other ammo weights and projectile profiles including 124gr JHPs. The Hellcat spit out everything that I fed it...an appropriate performance. Although I was shooting for function I took some time to test accuracy, and I’m very pleased with the Hellcat overall. The highly polished feed ramp ensured effortless chambering, and everything fired and ejected clean. I bought the Honor Defense Honor Guard a few weeks before the Hellcat. It was intended to be added to my carry rotation. However, I have far too many light primer strikes with this pistol...something that removing and cleaning the striker did nothing to improve. I’m glad that I had the Hellcat with me, as the rounds that wouldn’t fire in the Honor Guard fed and fired without issue from the Hellcat.

I’m sure you can guess which pistol will be added to my carry rotation, and it’s initials are not HG.

Glad to hear you had a good report with the Hellcat. What ammo was the 124gr? Did you shoot it off a bench and if so what kind of groups were you getting with it? I’m still hearing a lot of positive remarks on these pistols.
The ammo was proprietary, loaded with 124gr JHP from Everglades Ammo. Everything was shot free hand to 7yds. Groups were as good or better than I typically shoot...clearly, the gun is capable of exceeding my ability.

Back