testtest

Five Most (Wrongly) Disrespected Military Guns

The Owen came out in Farewell to the KIng. I've heard the Johnson MG was used by Marine Raiders a bit and that the SEALS in Vietnam used the Stoner in MG configuration. Latter probably due to need for 5.56 squad weapon. Be good to make a new movie about WWII Marine Raiders, use Johnson MG's.

The Stoner 63 system was a great weapons system, but ahead of its time. I was able to use one while in the US Navy in the Mekong Delta. Although it was similar to the M-16, I found it to be superior. I know that when Stoner pitched it to the US Army, they turned it down because they thought it would be to complicated for the average army infantryman. Shows you what the brass thought of their troops at the time. A real pity...

Now, I don’t normally make niggling comments on grammar with these stories out of respect for those who take the time to educate us on stuff that's interesting or we've never even heard of, but... I can't pass this up. The Owen Submachine Gun topic has the following, “It was actually developed by Evelyn Ernest Owen, a self-taught teenager, beginning in 1931.” Most of us are self-taught teenagers. That’s why we have so many problems in those years. (We’re also mostly self-taught adults and that brings a whole new set of problems.) Yea, yea, I'm on old newspaper editor and we notice that type of stuff. I'm also willing to admit that I've never heard of any of these weapons, so this was another example of being educated by dedicated writers. Like Peter Suciu. Thanks, Peter.

Back