testtest

Five Top Tips on how to camp in winter

The only way.
5DF70D95-B0A2-4172-8EB6-320BAF7D677C.jpeg

I've gone winter camping in the Boundary Waters several times. It's shockingly beautiful and I've never experienced such silence anywhere else. I highly recommend it. My tips:

1. Don't jump off cliffs. I was in high school for this one. I jumped off a cliff, broke bones in both feet, and had to walk out. I was 18 and full of bad ideas. At least the snow was good for numbing my feet up when they hurt too much.

2. Don't bring a dog in heat. My second trip one of the dogs was in heat. The other dog, a male, was a randy P.I.T.A. the entire trip. Plus, we found some huge dog tracks around our shelter one morning. I'm not saying the wolves were interested in us, but I'm also not saying it.

3. Don't strip to your shorts at 20 below to change into your cold weather gear. Do that before you arrive. This, and other factors, led to me coughing up blood by the end of the day and spending a delirious night in an igloo. What can I say, I was a dumb kid :)

Follow those rules and it's really fun.

I've gone winter camping in the Boundary Waters several times. It's shockingly beautiful and I've never experienced such silence anywhere else. I highly recommend it. My tips:

1. Don't jump off cliffs. I was in high school for this one. I jumped off a cliff, broke bones in both feet, and had to walk out. I was 18 and full of bad ideas. At least the snow was good for numbing my feet up when they hurt too much.

2. Don't bring a dog in heat. My second trip one of the dogs was in heat. The other dog, a male, was a randy P.I.T.A. the entire trip. Plus, we found some huge dog tracks around our shelter one morning. I'm not saying the wolves were interested in us, but I'm also not saying it.

3. Don't strip to your shorts at 20 below to change into your cold weather gear. Do that before you arrive. This, and other factors, led to me coughing up blood by the end of the day and spending a delirious night in an igloo. What can I say, I was a dumb kid :)

Follow those rules and it's really fun.

Good advice since I spent some time in the BWCA country. At least all the black flies aren't around in the winter there,

When I was a paperboy our distributer took all of us on a weekend over night winter camp out.
At the top of a cliff, along the shores of Lake Erie, South of Buffalo.
Temp was fluttering around Zero and the wind was blowing close to a hundred miles an hour.
We piled snow for a wind break and put up our tents. Then put them up again and again.
Still, at my age now, it rates as the WORST time of my life EVER!
So here are my top 5 tips for winter camping:

1. Stay home!
2. Don't Go!
3. It's not gonna be fun!
4. Get a root canal instead!
5. You'll be Sorry!

Yea, back in 1996 I contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite, had to take antibiotics for 2 months straight for it, scary time for me.

I've had a couple cut out of me but no lyme here but relatives have had it.

When I was in MN there were several species of ticks carrying multiple diseases. We have a couple species of the bastards here but only a couple rare diseases like Rocky Mtn Spotted fever. Plus the summer heat & dryness drives them subsurface here so the risk goes down come mid-summer. Still take preventive measures.

Back