testtest

Five Types Of AR Malfunctions And How To Address Them

Excellent article - Tiger is old-school cool! :)

To supplement...or for those who are more visuals-inclined:

and

^ Mike Pannone of CTT-Solutions gives his simplistic - yet absolutely robust - "load/unload" methodology.

^ John "Chappy" Chapman of Forge Tactical, one of the legendary late Pat Rogers' disciples and a BCM Gunfighter: "unload/neutral/load."

^ The "3 Little Kittens" drill as run by Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics is a great live-fire drill. Set it up with a few friends.

^ The always entertaining Pat McNamara of TMACS.

^ And the process-driven dissection offered by Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics.

You'll notice that there's some slight differences in how each of these SMEs present the info. and their thought processes as well as actions (for example, whether they always try to work the safety as a part of their gun-handling practices).

Figure out what makes most sense to you: the methods will follow. :)

Oh, and through all of this, for those who have collapsible stocks on their ARs, please remember to fully collapse/"close" the stock before you mortar the gun, as a couple of the videos above warn. If you don't, you may damage the stock and/or receiver extension ("buffer tube"), which then becomes "catastrophic" in that you may well need tools to disassemble the gun and/or extra parts to replace what you broke.

Similarly, remember to always lock the charging handle against the receiver after you've manipulated it. Allowing the handle to dangle free can, in several ways, potentially cause sufficient damage to it that may again be catastrophic.

Last edited:
^ I really mean it, too. :)

Reason?

As ARs get more and more common among the shooting population, seeing various stoppages at the range is becoming more and more common as well, particularly as folks aren't always able to spend the money on top-tier weapons, understand correct lubrication or use proper lubricant, or use unsatisfactory ammo and/or magazines.

Getting this knowledge and know-how out there is very beneficial!

This post has ironic perfect timing.
Last Sunday I took my AR10 308 and new metal plate target to the range with 100 rounds. After about 30 rounds. “Click”
I thought it was a miss feed but safety kicked in and immediately dropped the mag out and went to pull back on the charging handle and could not get it to move. I rolled the gun over to inspect and noticed the BCG had not entered into battery.
What I could not tell was there was a round in the chamber. I tried a few more times to pull back on the charging handle with no luck to get the bolt to move.
I called the range officer over for help, after inspecting the rifle he picked it up and while pulling on the charging handle gave the rifle a sharp downward blow on the butt pad on the range table. The bolt moved backwards and while he held the rifle I secured the bolt with the bolt catch. It was then we discovered a round stuck in the chamber. The RO used a rod to push the round out. I broke the rifle down and discovered the bolt was dry.
I learned a valuable lesson that day and will never again go to the range at anytime without first inspecting cleaning and oiling all my firearms.

all good info. Failure to mention a "must have" tool .....Broken shell extractor, available at many of the vendors we deal from. Ever been on the plains of North Dakota, killing prairie dogs? ruin your hunt, one stuck in the chamber with no back of the case. Get one.

Had a similar incident as Keystone. Was using reloads and one stuck in the chamber. Couldn't rack the gun and couldn't get it to go into battery. A young buck that was with us was able to rack it, though. Next week same thing. Sh_t! This time he couldn't get it racked. Got home and my partner and I were able to tap, actually bang, on the charging handle to un-stick the round. Got out my calipers and started measuring rounds. Found that some of the cases were not sized all the way down to where they flare out. For about .05" they were about .003" to .004" OS. My reloading buddy now realizes the importance of sizin' 'em all the way down. This was with my Saint Victor Pistol with only about a 100 rounds through it. My Colt M4 and his Mini 14 don't have a problem.

Fortunately I didn't have 223's experience. Gonna get me a backup extractor, both bolt and barrel ... just in case. HAH!

Back