testtest

Fix?

I'm definitely not wasting my time and money on these first gen Prodigys. Is there any idea when they will have a fix or a second gen?

I'm definitely not wasting my time and money on these first gen Prodigys. Is there any idea when they will have a fix or a second gen?
I have had ZERO problem with mine (4.25"), about the same break-in period as a Performance Center S&W M&P. Just like my other ones that perform flawlessly, I do clean the Prodigy after every session at the range. Nothing fancy, Clenzoil and bore snake, but every time, no exception.

After 500+ rounds it is now my favorite gun, I like it even better than my P226 Legion SAO which was already a great piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Way to introduce yourself.

No problems from my 5in Prodigy. 2000+ rounds through it.

The Prodigy came to market less than six months ago. It’s going to be a while before you see a Gen 2. From what I understand Springfield has addressed a lot of the initial release issues.

If you’re dead set against a Prodigy there will be several new 2011s coming to the market in 2023. Perhaps your time and money would be better invested in one of those instead.

That's my plan pretty much. A Staccato C2. These perked my interest, but I know 2 people who both had issues out of their 4.25 inch Prodigy. I'm glad I waited before jumping on it.
Not saying a C2 isn't good for what it is, but it is -not- as smooth a shooter as the Prodigy. I've shot both, and there is much more felt recoil on the C2 since it's aluminum and significantly lighter.

If you're getting the C2 for carry purposes, then by all means, I'd agree it's a better carry option.

The Staccato P is the true 1 for 1 comparison to the Prodigy. Steel frame to Steel frame.

I had my issues, but I bought it the first week they came out. Quick trip to SA that didn't cost me a dime (10 day total turn around) and it's running flawlessly ever since. Over 2k rounds through it now.

I would HIGHLY suggest shooting a Prodigy and C2 side by side if you can. You'll see the difference instantly.

Not saying a C2 isn't good for what it is, but it is -not- as smooth a shooter as the Prodigy. I've shot both, and there is much more felt recoil on the C2 since it's aluminum and significantly lighter.

If you're getting the C2 for carry purposes, then by all means, I'd agree it's a better carry option.

The Staccato P is the true 1 for 1 comparison to the Prodigy. Steel frame to Steel frame.

I had my issues, but I bought it the first week they came out. Quick trip to SA that didn't cost me a dime (10 day total turn around) and it's running flawlessly ever since. Over 2k rounds through it now.

I would HIGHLY suggest shooting a Prodigy and C2 side by side if you can. You'll see the difference instantly.
Do you have the 5 inch? What did Springfield do before sending yours back?

Welcome to the forum. Way to introduce yourself.

No problems from my 5in Prodigy. 2000+ rounds through it.

The Prodigy came to market less than six months ago. It’s going to be a while before you see a Gen 2. From what I understand Springfield has addressed a lot of the initial release issues.

If you’re dead set against a Prodigy there will be several new 2011s coming to the market in 2023. Perhaps your time and money would be better invested in one of those instead.
My apologies for that lackluster introduction. I've just been keeping up with this gun because I was very excited about it. All I've heard of are negative failures or sights falling out etc. 2 guys I know personally have had issues out of the box. One cleaned and lubed it up before the range and he could barely get through 1 or 2 mags.

I just don't understand how they could release a gun that obviously has these issues and expect $1500 ish give or take. I would love to own one, and planned on trying to carry it. But I can't carry a gun that I can't guarantee (or nearly guarantee) that it will be nearly flawless like the Staccatos or Wilson's etc.

So I guess I've got to buy one, and if it has these issues, pay Springfield more money to send it in and back to me, HOPEFULLY fixed?

My apologies for that lackluster introduction. I've just been keeping up with this gun because I was very excited about it. All I've heard of are negative failures or sights falling out etc. 2 guys I know personally have had issues out of the box. One cleaned and lubed it up before the range and he could barely get through 1 or 2 mags.

I just don't understand how they could release a gun that obviously has these issues and expect $1500 ish give or take. I would love to own one, and planned on trying to carry it. But I can't carry a gun that I can't guarantee (or nearly guarantee) that it will be nearly flawless like the Staccatos or Wilson's etc.

So I guess I've got to buy one, and if it has these issues, pay Springfield more money to send it in and back to me, HOPEFULLY fixed?
I totally understand your feelings. I bought mine the first weekend they were available and had about 6 FTEs and the gun completely smoothed out. I have had the fiber optic rod drop out twice but I run a red dot and didn’t even notice until I was cleaning it. The Prodigy has elevated itself straight into the top four of my collection and it goes with me on every range trip. I know it sucks having to potentially send a brand new gun back to customer service, but by the same token the prevailing wisdom was not to buy the first gen of a brand new platform, but I willingly took the dive and have had a grin on my face ever since.

I totally understand your feelings. I bought mine the first weekend they were available and had about 6 FTEs and the gun completely smoothed out. I have had the fiber optic rod drop out twice but I run a red dot and didn’t even notice until I was cleaning it. The Prodigy has elevated itself straight into the top four of my collection and it goes with me on every range trip. I know it sucks having to potentially send a brand new gun back to customer service, but by the same token the prevailing wisdom was not to buy the first gen of a brand new platform, but I willingly took the dive and have had a grin on my face ever since.
Being so negative on Springfield Armory is your prerogative however if the gun you buy does have issues it won’t cost you money to get it fixed, full disclosure I don’t own a Prodigy but personally have never had any problems with my Springfield guns.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

Being so negative on Springfield Armory is your prerogative however if the gun you buy does have issues it won’t cost you money to get it fixed, full disclosure I don’t own a Prodigy but personally have never had any problems with my Springfield guns.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I've owned several too, all without issues. That's why this one baffles me. One of my favorite guns is my operator 1911.

Do you have the 5 inch? What did Springfield do before sending yours back?
I have a 5" and my father has a 4.25", which I have also used at the range several times. He bought his right after shooting mine and the Staccato C2. He was ready to buy a Wilson Combat EDC XC9, but same thing, lighter gun, more felt recoil like the C2.

When I got it back, they had:

- Reamed and polished chamber
- Polished barrel ramp
- Refit barrel
- Tuned Extractor
- Adjusted sear spring
- Replaced left and right thumb safety's (Must have been out of spec or something, It worked fine for me)

Honestly, pretty standard 1911 stuff. Nothing major at all and the few I've seen repaired have had almost the same things done with a 5-14 day turn around. They definitely know how to make it run perfectly now if it happens to have an issue.

More than likely, if it's brand new, all the teething issues have been worked out.

Can't beat a lifetime warranty and good customer service though.

Back