testtest

Flat Wire Takedown Piece for EMP4 Doesn't Fit

Brand new EMP4 Flat Wire Takedown Piece for cleaning is not able to fit into the hole in the guide rod for removal of the spring assembly. A paper clip is the right diameter, but it's flimsy and will shear eventually. Frustrating and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and if S.A. has a fix or a replacement under warranty for this tool.

1 Speechless copy.gif

I just contacted Wilson Combat and they say that they don’t have anything for the EMP4 that matches what you’re describing here. What did I get wrong?
I ordered the flat wire kit for the Kimber 45 acp Pro Length-I then used the Wilson Guide Rod and spring but used the original guide rod plug.
The rated pounds on the 45acp is nearly the same as 40S&W-I have used Wilson's spring in place of the Springfield spring with good results.
The guide rod kit for the 9mm in the Compact or Pro also works-just a weaker spring.
If you call Wilson they will tell you they have nothing for the EMP-the plug is different-shoulder on plug is too shallow-that's why Springfield's plug has to be used.

I ordered the flat wire kit for the Kimber 45 acp Pro Length-I then used the Wilson Guide Rod and spring but used the original guide rod plug.
The rated pounds on the 45acp is nearly the same as 40S&W-I have used Wilson's spring in place of the Springfield spring with good results.
The guide rod kit for the 9mm in the Compact or Pro also works-just a weaker spring.
If you call Wilson they will tell you they have nothing for the EMP-the plug is different-shoulder on plug is too shallow-that's why Springfield's plug has to be used.
O.K., after some consideration of what I would be doing with the modification suggested here, I decided to ask S.A. Customer Support for a new takedown tool with a smaller diameter wire that would fit the opening in the guide rod. I did this because this EMP4 was purchased as an EDC and I am barely comfortable with a 1911 for this purpose, so I don't want to mess with something I don't fully understand that might affect its performance. So far, I've only put 50 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through the gun, because I don't have the ammunition for more. It was able to feed all the rounds without any problems and that was reassuring, but it's far from a final judgement on reliability. If you have more experience with your 40 S&W, I'd be happy to hear it, but for now, I'd rather put a few hundred more rounds of 124gr through the 9mm to decide if I really want to carry it. Thanks again for your time in putting in the post.

O.K., after some consideration of what I would be doing with the modification suggested here, I decided to ask S.A. Customer Support for a new takedown tool with a smaller diameter wire that would fit the opening in the guide rod. I did this because this EMP4 was purchased as an EDC and I am barely comfortable with a 1911 for this purpose, so I don't want to mess with something I don't fully understand that might affect its performance. So far, I've only put 50 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through the gun, because I don't have the ammunition for more. It was able to feed all the rounds without any problems and that was reassuring, but it's far from a final judgement on reliability. If you have more experience with your 40 S&W, I'd be happy to hear it, but for now, I'd rather put a few hundred more rounds of 124gr through the 9mm to decide if I really want to carry it. Thanks again for your time in putting in the post.
No problem-I think you are making a good decision to shoot it a bit first to shake any bugs out it may have.
I have both the EMP4 in .40 and the EMP 3 inch in .40 also-they have been totally reliable.

Update on the takedown tool for anyone interested: Springfield Armory Customer Service sent me a replacement takedown tool and it works just fine. I guess there's some variation in the tolerances for this tool but the new one is able to fit the opening in the guide rod and it solves my cleaning problem. Kudos to Drew at Customer Service and for the excellent support at S.A.

Back