testtest

Flying the Bell AH-1 Cobra Gunship

Most of my sling-wing time was in the Bell OH-58A+ and Long Ranger L-1,L-3+,and L-4 as the Company I was with, took delivery of the last L-4's built. Although having rode in a couple UH-1's, one of my fondest memory was a chance to fly the Whiskey Model Cobra used by the Marines prior to the Zulu model of today. Since it was a civilian flight, remembering squeezing into the front seat and the brief on how to extricate myself in case of a accident. A slight sideways glance at the pilot resulted in him just pointing to the handle to activate a charge that would blow the forward canopy. Once airborne, I was allowed to take the controls from the front and was surprised at the sensitivity of the throw, on the side mounted cyclic and collective. What a beast with no weight in armament, she just danced anyway one wished with purpose (two engines) and low altitude treetop run down the Intra-coastal at 153 knots, awesome... Yep, proud to have that 45 minutes in the Logbook and in my memory.

Attachments

• Huey Cobra 2 - Copy.jpg
    Huey Cobra 2 - Copy.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Huey Cobra Khe Sanh.jpg
    Huey Cobra Khe Sanh.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 169
The first Huey gunship was the B model, followed by the Charlie model, and then the Mike model. Flew the Charlie model in Vietnam 69-70. In II Corp we flew most often with 14 rockets and two miniguns, as well two M-60’s used by the crew chief and door gunner. Occasionally we would have a hog with 38 rockets but no miniguns. We were always overloaded and usually had to make a bouncing, running takeoff as we had L11 engine with 1100 horsepower. The Mike was basically a Charlie model with the H model L13 engine with 1300 horsepowe.

I was a crew chief and in charge of 5 UH-1H. I loved flying in that Huey. I am not sure how much actual stick time I have but our Company commander and most of the pilots were all Vietnam vets, and they knew what it meant to have their chiefs know how to operate the aircraft in an emergency. My CO even had me practicing start-ups, hovering and take offs. The only thing I never did was an auto rotation. That is a whole other story. Dearly loved that bird.

Interesting article on the cobra. The armed H13 was mentioned as a first attempt at arming helicopters. My Dad, CW4 Jack Brown, was the lead pilot during work to first arm helicopters. There were some attempts at Ft Rucker to arm H13s but, they were trying to use them as not much more than elevated machine gun firing platforms. Most of the development, including the first strafing runs and rockets fired by a helicopter, was done in 1957 at Ft Benning by a small group that was part of the 4th Transportation Co. They armed H13s, H23s and finally ended up with a heavily armed H34. The final version was nicknamed "The Bad Mother" and it had an array of armament. I can't recall the entire list but, it included several fixed and flex mounted 30 and 50cal MGs, fixed 20mm, somewhere around 40 2.75in rockets and two 5in holy moses rockets. After their initial experiments, they took it to the Sikorsky factory where they designed some better gun mounts and firing systems. I will try to find some of the pictures and share them.

The first Huey gunship was the B model, followed by the Charlie model, and then the Mike model. Flew the Charlie model in Vietnam 69-70. In II Corp we flew most often with 14 rockets and two miniguns, as well two M-60’s used by the crew chief and door gunner. Occasionally we would have a hog with 38 rockets but no miniguns. We were always overloaded and usually had to make a bouncing, running takeoff as we had L11 engine with 1100 horsepower. The Mike was basically a Charlie model with the H model L13 engine with 1300 horsepowe.
One of my coworkers at Boeing flew the ‘B’ model. Great guy but passed 2 years ago.

I started as a flight instructor in Iran on the OH-58. Then was able to transfer to test flight where I flew the other three.

After retirement flew volunteer with Air One a law enforcement coalition operation. Flew the OH-58, UH-1H and a former Marine HH-1N.

Sorry for all the pics but love the helos.

Attachments

• 8E237AA4-EB4B-4BD0-98DD-34A8198C20BA.jpeg
    8E237AA4-EB4B-4BD0-98DD-34A8198C20BA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • A0E9AA31-C72F-4495-A137-EDC4AC574D22.jpeg
    A0E9AA31-C72F-4495-A137-EDC4AC574D22.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • B7962D58-888B-43F1-B8A8-5C05534B9BCE.jpeg
    B7962D58-888B-43F1-B8A8-5C05534B9BCE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • 4EAC3EFC-8161-4CA7-82F8-CDEFCD87FDD8.jpeg
    4EAC3EFC-8161-4CA7-82F8-CDEFCD87FDD8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 5545CCBC-5122-4C6E-8D6F-50D1136E542D.jpeg
    5545CCBC-5122-4C6E-8D6F-50D1136E542D.jpeg
    964.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 0142F0D2-0080-4361-B6AC-D47A1B8990EA.jpeg
    0142F0D2-0080-4361-B6AC-D47A1B8990EA.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 5CD40F22-BA19-49B8-BB9A-A4F7A19494C3.jpeg
    5CD40F22-BA19-49B8-BB9A-A4F7A19494C3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 115
  • E45E1BBD-D6EC-4F2B-A29D-020DD13307E4.jpeg
    E45E1BBD-D6EC-4F2B-A29D-020DD13307E4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
Most of my sling-wing time was in the Bell OH-58A+ and Long Ranger L-1,L-3+,and L-4 as the Company I was with, took delivery of the last L-4's built. Although having rode in a couple UH-1's, one of my fondest memory was a chance to fly the Whiskey Model Cobra used by the Marines prior to the Zulu model of today. Since it was a civilian flight, remembering squeezing into the front seat and the brief on how to extricate myself in case of an accident. A slight sideways glance at the pilot resulted in him just pointing to the handle to activate a charge that would blow the forward canopy. Once airborne, I was allowed to take the controls from the front and was surprised at the sensitivity of the throw, on the side mounted cyclic and collective. What a beast with no weight in armament, she just danced anyway one wished with purpose (two engines) and low altitude treetop run down the Intra-coastal at 153 knots, awesome... Yep, proud to have that 45 minutes in the Logbook and in my memory.
In Iran I made it a mission to teach the maintenance/troubleshooters/crew chiefs to be able to fly the aircraft.

I know one for sure went home to Atlanta arranged to rent a Jet Ranger and get his rotor-wing certification.

In return they let me do some of the maintenance.

Actually we had a great time over there, until Kohmani returned and eventually we were evacuated.

A note thrown up on our balcony. For the most part the citizens were very helpful.

Great memories!

Attachments

• BDCC0E0B-C076-492D-B779-3F1CE48AAC53.jpeg
    BDCC0E0B-C076-492D-B779-3F1CE48AAC53.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 146
The UH1B and C flew the L11 engine. The H flew the L13. Yep, the M model had the L13, but what set it apart was the rotor system.
With the Loach, there was so much inertia built into the rotor system, you could land it with the rotors turning and have enough inertia to get up off the ground again and fly a short time.
A lot of helicopter crashes weren't 'nose in.' They were pancake landings and the crew would wind up with broken backs. The idea was to put on a similar rotor system to the Loach that would allow enough margin for an engine out landing that would offer that same ability to set down.
Your UH1 B C D and H rotor system had rotors that were something like 'forearm' wide. The rotors on an M model were like the 'top of a desk,' along with a much beefier rotor hub system.
It worked.
In a belt and suspenders approach, the Army decided to go with dual engine designs after that, I guess after seeing the UH1 N variants that the Marines and Air Force flew.

My son flew the AH 1 W- HMLA 267 USMC. I got the chance to put in a couple of hours with him in the simulator. I was all Grins, it was so realistic (only crashed a few times).
Further, I had the chance to spend time with him on board the USS Boxer, LHD4.

These were called "Tiger Cruises" and mine was from Pearl Harbor to San Diego. Yes, I got to watch him put the "Snake" through maneuvers, blow up pallets in the water. and, get a friendly chewing out by the aircraft mechanic: Apparently he borderline over torque'd the thing on a "flyby." We were two days out from San Diego on 9/11.

We are approaching a plateau of sorts this month: 20 years ago OIF was launched. Another plateau is just around the corner (for me); 5 April, the date my son was KIA during combat air support operations.

Not many Dads get the opportunity to share their kids life log dream as i had. He often said: "The government actually pays me to do this."
Reading the article and other notes, offers so many memories.

Steve,
I am so sorry that your son was KIA. I am glad he was doing what he liked to do and that you got to enjoy and be a part of it. Most parents don't get that opportunity to be a part of their son's career. You not only got to be a part of it you got to see him doing it. Honor him this coming April 5th as best as you can. I will do the same. I have already made a note in my calendar. I will make sure and say a special prayer for your son.

My son flew the AH 1 W- HMLA 267 USMC. I got the chance to put in a couple of hours with him in the simulator. I was all Grins, it was so realistic (only crashed a few times).

These were called "Tiger Cruises" and mine was from Pearl Harbor to San Diego. Yes, I got to watch him put the "Snake" through maneuvers, blow up pallets in the water. and, get a friendly chewing out by the aircraft mechanic: Apparently he borderline over torque'd the thing on a "flyby." We were two days out from San Diego on 9/11.

We are approaching a plateau of sorts this month: 20 years ago OIF was launched. Another plateau is just around the corner (for me); 5 April, the date my son was KIA during combat air support operations.

Not many Dads get the opportunity to share their kids life log dream as i had. He often said: "The government actually pays me to do this."
So sorry for your loss! He earned every minute when flying that aircraft. He’s still there watching over you!

A prayer for you both.

Take Exceptional Care,

Bob

My condolences and heartfelt appreciation for your son's ( and yours) sacrifice in service of his country Sir.

Back