testtest

F'N skinny

With FN having $150 rebate it has me swaying a bit? For those who own and 509 variant and/or fnx45 or variant give me your thoughts. While I don't want another 9 there are a couple that look tempting and the 45 comes with 5 mags @ 15 rounds per. That's 2 more rounds than g21/g41 and 5 more rounds than s&w m&p's. I have a g21 and g41 w/+2 very cheap pierce extensions (works on/with g20/g40 also, but adds 3). Think I paid less than $10 for the extensions each?

I've been looking at an FNX 45 Tactical myself. Skip the LS Edge in either form. They just aren't that good, especially at that price tag. I'd buy another P22x or P32x variant, Beretta, HK, or anything else before that LS Edge. Was not impressed with the full size one my buddy's GF bought that I shot, and we have the CC LS Edge at the shop. It's been in the case for 7 months now and no one ever asks to see it lol.

I have all the Tactical version of the FN's. they are nice handguns. my 509 came with 5 mags too. about all of them i got did. which is a good deal cause their mags ain't cheap.

20230907_173409.jpg

I have the 509c MRD, FNX45 Tact., and the FN 510 (10mm). At one point I was interested in the LS Edge, but heard and read some poor reviews, so it’s no longer on my list. I like the FNs I have (I also have the FNS 9c, Military Collection M4 & M16, and ordered their new High Power FDE with the LGS). Eventually I’ll probably get the FN Reflex since several on here sing its praises like Belt Fed’s prior post does. The FNS 9c has a recall issued on it, so I’ll shortly be seeing how their customer support handles that.

Forgot about the 545?
I think the 545T is a fantastic gun. Great sights and optic mounting system, nice trigger, accurate, super soft shooter and 18 rds of .45 acp. One of my favorites.

The 509 on the other hand has one of the nastiest, grittiest triggers I’ve come across. It’s a common complaint and it pretty much cannot be tamed. I don’t notice it a lot when I’m shouting it but dry firing it feels awful. The triggers on the 545 and 509 are like night and day.

IMG_6191.jpeg

I ran a little unscientific study today. Took my 509T with an MCarbo spring kit and Shooting Sight striker along with a VP9 with an MCarbo spring kit. Despite the feel of each gun - VP9 is borderline erotic, while the 509T is like holding a belt sander - 25 rounds through each at 10 yds pretty much looked identical right down to the one flyer each for the Gun Gods. VP9 was running a Viridian RX35 green dot and the 509T has the venerable and absolutely brilliant Deltapoint Pro. Short story is either would ruin a bad guys day.

VP9 Top. 509T Bottom.

IMG_6742.jpeg

Last edited:
The fn's keep drawing me toward them along with hk's, but haven't pulled any trigger yet. Walther's I gave up on! Still trying to find my unicorn m&p 45 pc version as the 57 is the only 1 I've had an issue with (no eta on when I'll get around to do a thorough cleaning and testing again). Glock is a Glock is a brick that shoots well! Sig? Well, can't really find a double stack 45 in what I want? I'll leave the canic and hi-p's to @KillerFord1977, @Belt Fed and @10mmLife 's houses 🤫 .

I ran a little unscientific study today. Took my 509T with an MCarbo spring kit and Shooting Sight striker along with a VP9 with an MCarbo spring kit. Despite the feel of each gun - VP9 is borderline erotic, while the 509T is like holding a belt sander - 25 rounds through each at 10 yds pretty much looked identical right down to the one flyer each for the Gun Gods. VP9 was running a Viridian RX35 green dot and the 509T has the venerable and absolutely brilliant Deltapoint Pro. Short story is either would ruin a bad guys day.

VP9 Top. 509T Bottom.

View attachment 53330
Nice groups - yeah I could group like that too (but only from 6-7 feet away) !!

The rebate incentivized me in December to pick up a 509 Tactical. I like it (but, then again - I like most firearms; and I don't buy anything I don't like....with some pre-purchase research.) If you can get the 509 tactical with the 5 magazine bundle - I believe they upgraded the triggers on those from the hinged to the flat.....at least that's what I've read and what I got.

1709829731051.png

509 Tactical and 510 MRD
1709829797741.png

Back