testtest

Food Storage on a Budget

Buying food as you can afford is better than money in the bank. A friend told me about a package of steaks he bought last week on sale. Each time he pulls one out of the freezer, he realizes a whopping return on his money. What was $6 is now $8, $10 or $12 for example. The lousy bank pays you a couple of percent, if that on your money. This translates into big savings on many other things
My dad grew up in the Depression like many of your folks did. He loved going to dollar stores and would buy dented cans, generic cereal and so on. He picked less than perfect produce at similar savings at the grocery store. My mom could stretch a chicken into multiple meals. They resisted buying processed foods and ate at home. For more variety, we attended potlucks and entertained at home and had a circle of friends that reciprocated. They would be appalled at the home delivery of meals and ingredients to make them at home that is a growing phenomenon today. Grubhub? No way.
In some ways, I did things differently as a result of this upbringing. I enjoy eating out, we eat more processed food than we should and we don't garden. If we're smart, we would return to some of the old ways and realize some big savings. I hope we do.

Our "daughter", actually a niece we raised finally figured out why we have the pantry and food storage we do. She finally gets it and has been doing a lot since then towards her own pantry

Pat and I just bought a meat package from my cousins meat plant for $300.it has roasts, steaks, burger, various pork cuts, pork sausage. Averaging out the price we figure the cost was 2.54 a lb. Across the board. His meat is top notch too.

Last edited:
Buying food as you can afford is better than money in the bank. A friend told me about a package of steaks he bought last week on sale. Each time he pulls one out of the freezer, he realizes a whopping return on his money. What was $6 is now $8, $10 or $12 for example. The lousy bank pays you a couple of percent, if that on your money. This translates into big savings on many other things
My dad grew up in the Depression like many of your folks did. He loved going to dollar stores and would buy dented cans, generic cereal and so on. He picked less than perfect produce at similar savings at the grocery store. My mom could stretch a chicken into multiple meals. They resisted buying processed foods and ate at home. For more variety, we attended potlucks and entertained at home and had a circle of friends that reciprocated. They would be appalled at the home delivery of meals and ingredients to make them at home that is a growing phenomenon today. Grubhub? No way.
In some ways, I did things differently as a result of this upbringing. I enjoy eating out, we eat more processed food than we should and we don't garden.

I think you and I are from the same generation.
Back in the early ‘70‘s a cantankerous old-timer neighbor would recall his growing up during The Depression, and as a meathead teen I’d balk and say that rationing, shortages hoarding, etc. would never happen again. I was lucky he didn’t crack me over the noggin !
What did I know - I was a optimistic young fool to think that 25¢ gal gas and a bottle of Nehi for a dime was forever. Learned quick a year or two later, along with losing a good $ job, the oil embargo and eventually jimmy Carter.

You say, ‘‘If we're smart, we would return to some of the old ways and realize some big savings.”

Unfortunately, in a matter of 16 months, the repealing and forfeiting of all the freedoms, stability and gains due to the smart policies of the prior 4 yrs (2016-2020), under this current ‘new world order’ Administration...we HAVE returned to the old ways and times, actually forced into this when it wasn’t necessary.

Days of individual bloat and spendthrifts are done. Conscious saving and budgeting is new all over again. Get this, the cost of driving is driving more greenie urbanites to rely on Ubers and transit - then they complain the fares keep going up and end up buying a $2000 bike.

Being prepared for anything is always a good thing. Eventually even all that gold you bought for $190 oz. back in 1975, either has to be cashed in to spend on todays inflated prices or it goes into probate.

Now, if only I can find one of those JC Whitney hydro-sonic, e-z to install, water vapor burning, amazing in-line gas saver devices to significantly improve the mpg by 12-15% on my F150 V8...

Attachments

• 1654095650342.gif
    1654095650342.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 145
Back