testtest

Foward assist, You ever use it?

Belt Fed

Emissary
Of all the rounds i have fired through AR's of many different calibers and brands i don't ever remember needing one. not to say i never had jams and all kinds of miss fires, guns blowing up but none i can remember would have been solved by the forward assist. Any of you ever had to use it. Even had to mortar a few. by the way is not a good idea when it's scoped. don't ask me how i know.


Yeah, i'm bored. may go run some 5.56 through a build and see if i can make it where i need the forward assist. lol
 
my first few times with the ar 10 i kept hitting it vice the release to close the breach
then my buddy said stop doing it that way.... ok.. so whats the thing for then.... he was a Vietnam door gunner
he said WHO the SDKTHENEE *&&$^, knows we were taught to hit it as well ..
iirc i read somewhere it will wear the point off if you use it to close the breach into battery ..
but i am no expert at all with the AR 10.
 
Yes. One rifle issued by Uncle Sam every bleeping round that went into the chamber. No amount of cleaning, brushing, spraying with break cleaner, trips to the "armorer" fixed it. Somehow the buttstock and buffer tube got broken right off. Don't know if that fixed the chamber but it wasn't my problem anymore.
That left me in the habit of hitting the forward assist every time I chambered a round into an empty chamber. May sound excessive to some, but no different than slapping a mag in place to ensure its seated, banging the back of a mag so none of the rounds hang up, doing a press check, glancing at the back of a cylinder, when a firearm has been out of my physical control, etc., etc., etc.
 
I think if you keep your chamber and barrel fairly clean, and that depends on who’s ammo you’re using, your rifle should always go into battery without any assistance. You have to remember why the forward assist got added in the first place: no chrome lined chamber, not using the correct propellant, and lack of cleaning supplies in the field. Also, the ar was the first rifle the gov’t issued that didn’t have a bolt handle and I’m sure it was missed. Old dogs don’t learn new tricks. How many of us still prefer blued steel and walnut grips?
 
Only once. Basic training 1972 we were on the firing line. M-16A1. I pulled the trigger and CLICK! Immediate action and Click again. Same thing third time. Signaled for the Drill Sergeant and told him what was going on. He said Hit the forward assist. I did and BANG! :eek:
He pulled the rifle off the firing line. Last I heard the Armorer had it. I was issued another rifle. :rolleyes:
 
I used it quite often when in the Army. Sitting on an ambush and wondering if you chambered a round???? Well it was easy and quite to pull the bolt back just enough to feel the round was there or not. If it was there you road the charging handle forward and then used the forward assist to put it into battery. Same thing if you didn’t chamber a round.
 
When I hunt with it I close the bolt slowly and make sure it’s in battery by hitting the forward assist. Don’t want all that metal noise of the bolt slamming home.
 
Never. I qualified for duty regularly, have attended several high round count instructor courses, and never once needed a forward assist. And I don't recall any of my students or fellow students needing it either. Mortaring stuck cases, clearing triple feeds, yes, but never needed the button. It is my opinion that if you need the button a lot there is a fitment problem in the rifle or it is filthy asall getout in there.
 
Back
Top