testtest

Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

fordag

Elite
A while back I posted about my difficulty in removing the rear sight from my Springfield Garrison. Well I put it in the safe until sending it to Springfield.

About a month and a half or two months later I took it out and it was covered in rust. Nothing else in my safe had a spec of rust on it.
Notice in the photos how only the slide and frame are rusted. Barrel, sights, thumb safety, slide stop, grip safety, hammer, trigger, bushing and spring plug all are rust free.

So I contacted Springfield and they said send it back and sent me a shipping label. They said to include the sights I'd bought as well.

They received it on 31 Jul, I received it back today. Completely refinished and with the sights I sent installed. All at no charge.

The Packing slip did have this note: ** Springfield warranty does not cover rust. Refinished at no charge this time. **

All in all I'm very happy with how Springfield handled this for me.

Photo one, the pistol when I purchased it.
Photo two & three, the pistol with rust.
Photo four, the pistol after Springfield refinished it and installed new sights.

Attachments

• Garrison 1a.jpg
    Garrison 1a.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Garrison 2a.jpg
    Garrison 2a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
  • Garrison 3a.jpg
    Garrison 3a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
  • Garrison 4a.jpg
    Garrison 4a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 157
i do not have a safe, but i do have 3 Craftsman tool storage cabinets, inside i have large desiccant bags, and i run a dehumidifier on high humidity days.

no rust what so ever.

that has to be a "fluke" it happened to that particular gun.
My safe has multiple desiccant packs that I dry in an oven as needed. On top of that it wasn't even close to humid the short time it was in the safe.

I have multiple rechargeable dehumidifiers in my safes. Even the guns that are out in the house somewhere are rust free though. And STL is generally humid.

It's great they put your sights on for you too. Although the note seems a little snarky considering I doubt very much the rust had anything to do with anything other than the crappy finish on the gun.

Get a silicon-impregnated cloth and wipe everything down from time to time, especially if you live in a high humidity part of the country, regardless if you have a dehumidifier.
Years ago when I stored some guns I didn’t shoot that often, I used Rig Grease in a small white jar, it doesn’t evaporate and stays on to protect till you actually remove it, not sure if it’s still available, great for long term storage

A while back I posted about my difficulty in removing the rear sight from my Springfield Garrison. Well I put it in the safe until sending it to Springfield.

About a month and a half or two months later I took it out and it was covered in rust. Nothing else in my safe had a spec of rust on it.
Notice in the photos how only the slide and frame are rusted. Barrel, sights, thumb safety, slide stop, grip safety, hammer, trigger, bushing and spring plug all are rust free.

So I contacted Springfield and they said send it back and sent me a shipping label. They said to include the sights I'd bought as well.

They received it on 31 Jul, I received it back today. Completely refinished and with the sights I sent installed. All at no charge.

The Packing slip did have this note: ** Springfield warranty does not cover rust. Refinished at no charge this time. **

All in all I'm very happy with how Springfield handled this for me.

Photo one, the pistol when I purchased it.
Photo two & three, the pistol with rust.
Photo four, the pistol after Springfield refinished it and installed new sights.
Outstanding customer service.

Get a silicon-impregnated cloth and wipe everything down from time to time, especially if you live in a high humidity part of the country, regardless if you have a dehumidifier.
i been using food grade mineral oil.......a little on a patch goes a long way, and it's rather cheaper than EEZOX, that i been hearing about.

also that older guy, Gunblue490 made a couple of recommendations, like get a plastic bag, toss a rag in, and spray inside with silicon, that keeps the rag moist, and it's cheaper...as well, then buying such rags

then the mineral moil above that i been using.

everyone has thier favorite flavors when it comes to lube oils, grease, and rust preventatives.

i have limited shelf space, to have every product known and soon to be known, to put on the shelf.

that's all good, as long as you have a supply of the old incandescent light bulbs, that give off heat.

LED bulbs, now required since the other bulbs can no longer be made, give off no heat at all.
We got LED bulbs in our lamps, I know the bulb gets hot as hades, didn’t know till you said they give off no heat, call me curious now……..🤔🤔🤔🤔

Back