testtest

Garrison, covered in rust, great response from Springfield.

Similar experience with my new blued 9mm Garrison, although not as extensive. The bluing wore off completely on the back edge of the frame and would have rusted quickly had I not spotted it. Not of my other blued pistols stored in the same safe were effected. I have a rod and multiple tugs of desiccant in that safe. I wipe every pistol with a silicone rag and store my pistols in air tight Pelican cases. I'm also in high humidity monsoon AZ.

Springfield had my pistol for several weeks, then denied the warranty as "normal wear". I posted my experience in threads here with images of the finish deterioration. Springfield offered to re-blue or Cerakote at my expense. After I asked the representative to reconsider the decision, they agreed to refinish mine in a beautiful black Cerakote.

I don't know if Springfield is bluing their pistols in house or using a third party, but there's to many reports online about the premature rusting on late production 1911 pistols. In any event, I'm happy with their customer service and the end result.

Wasn’t the old Brown Bess musket finish basically a treatment with rust?? Use rust to prevent rust, or some such logic….?
The reality is that British soldiers kept their "Brown Bess" highly polished at all times. To do this they carried a small piece of steel and they would rub it up and down the barrel, steel polishes steel. In fact they sometimes did it so frequently that it became a problem, some would polish it to the point of thinning the barrel. Some units are on record of banning the practice of polishing the barrel with a steel.

almost "sounds like", third party vendor...if it was in house, there should be, would be better QC.......
There has been countless issues with the Garrison, rusting, finish coming off, and at my shop they had one the barrel bushing broke, but I associate most of these with the Covid lockdown with the supply chain issues back then, my shop has sold a good many recently with no issues

Last edited:
Springfield needs to put on box like Sig does with the date of manufacture, it still could have sat for awhile at the distributor, nobody knows, at least it’s fine now, that’s all that matters and they took care of it for you
when i got my CZ 75 B, new, back in about January/February of 2020, it was built in 2017...

it was stamped on the gun 17, on the slide, just in front of the ejection port.

at the time, i did not know that, so i started what i continue today, and that is hit the "contact us" link on any gun that i buy, and ask "what was the build date"

surprisingly (or not) CZ got back to me and informed me of the build date (at least the year).

anyway, when i bought it and looked at it at the LGS< it was as pristine as all hell....(no rust)

my "last CZ", i bought back in January of this year, an Omega Convertible 75B, which is discontinued, was built in December of 2022, at least that time, i had a month as well as the year.

so yeah true, some guns ARE new, but may be sitting in warehouses all over the place, when we buy them, maybe as much as 3 years later.

true too, i have "some" gun cases (i keep all of them) with build dates on them.

Glad u got a positive resolution, fordag.

Any organization that wants to know what good CS looks like, look no further that the firearms industry (on the whole, at least).

Just don't look at ParaOrdnance...

Or Kimber…….
i disagree (at least about Kimber), as i had an issue with my Custom II, two tone

i called them and told of my issues, the CS guy took all my information and told me how to ship it to them.

this is what was done/replaced, when i got it back (all under warranty)

1) installed new slide stop

2) fit new trigger

3) adjust extractor

4) polished feed ramp, breech face, and firing pin housing

5) reamed chamber and refinished barrel

6) test fired with 4 mags of american eagle 230gr fmj

7) inspected by QC

8) cleaned and lubed.

took less than 2 weeks turn around time, and runs flawlessly

i disagree (at least about Kimber), as i had an issue with my Custom II, two tone

i called them and told of my issues, the CS guy took all my information and told me how to ship it to them.

this is what was done/replaced, when i got it back (all under warranty)

1) installed new slide stop

2) fit new trigger

3) adjust extractor

4) polished feed ramp, breech face, and firing pin housing

5) reamed chamber and refinished barrel

6) test fired with 4 mags of american eagle 230gr fmj

7) inspected by QC

8) cleaned and lubed.

took less than 2 weeks turn around time, and runs flawlessly
On my Kimber Micro 9, 2 mags through it something hit my check, here piece of hammer chipped off where slide meets hammer during recoil, continue to use it then FTF issues, took it apart and the guide rod was bent, called Kimber CS up, explained the issue, told me that’s normal for the chipping, and the guide rod getting bent was my fault and said warranty wasn’t going to cover any of the issues, got pissed and took it back to shop and they were sending it back, traded it in, now I had 2 Kimber 1911’s and I just got rid of both here lately, no more Kimber’s for me.

Last edited:
On my Kimber Micro 9, 2 mags through it something hit my check, here piece of hammer chipped off where slide meets hammer during recoil, continue to use it then FTF issues, took it apart and the guide rod was bent, called Kimber CS up, explained the issue, told me that’s normal for the chipping, and the guide rod getting bent was my fault and said warranty wasn’t going to cover any of the issues, got pissed and took it back to shop and they were sending it back, traded it in, now I had 2 Kimber 1911’s and I just got rid of both here lately, no more Kimber’s for me.
sorry to hear about your experiences with Kimber.

as i should have said, i couldn't be any happier with the outcome for me.

maybe also, do not forget, they are south now, not up north, (when this stuff happened to you??) maybe that in of itself was the issue..??

you know, that "yankee attitude"?

Hi points don't rust.

1693671992568.png

Back