testtest

Garrison sight removal PITA.

i very rarely change sights, only make adjustments.

but i still bought the Lyman sight tool, from Lyman, cheaper than from one of the usual online places i buy from.

i have only once now, had to replace a fiber optic rod in my Kimber, and did pretty good with that, using a good "old" Radio Shack soldering iron for the heat..

sometimes i buy gunsmithing tools, cuz i like tools (former mechanic, and Tim "the tool man" Taylor fan)

so passing by the tool isles at Home Depot, Lowe's, and my hardware stores are impossible.

but also, from time to time, i DO make some repairs, minor that they be, and i don't wanna hack or butcher my guns with improper tools.
Who says you never have/need enough tools..... possibly the wife, but she usually comes to learn why

Who says you never have/need enough tools..... possibly the wife, but she usually comes to learn why
My wife after I lowered my Escalade 3” in the rear and 1” in the front. “If anything ever happened to you or we split up I am never going to be with another car guy or person that has to mess with their stuff. Can’t you just leave things the way they were made?” (This was not an argument)
Me “This gives MY CAR the look I WANT and it’ll be easier to get in and out of. Besides, I like knowing how things work and how to fix or improve things if need be. Would you rather be with someone that doesn’t have the capacity to fix things? If you want to pay people to do things I know how to do because I learned how to do them that’s fine but you’re paying for it, not me. I change stuff to make it better, not just to mess with my stuff.”
She doesn’t complain at all when I redo the floors, change out toilets, replace water heaters, fix her car, plug a nail hole in her tire, etc etc etc. Plus if she needs tools for something she knows exactly where they are…….in my overcrowded toolbox.

My gun hobby on the other hand she will most likely never understand. I haven’t gotten her into shooting yet because she’s never handled a firearm before and she doesn’t show any interest in them because she’s afraid of them. Odd thing is I know her personality and I know she’ll not only like it but she’ll be good at it once she tries it.

My wife after I lowered my Escalade 3” in the rear and 1” in the front. “If anything ever happened to you or we split up I am never going to be with another car guy or person that has to mess with their stuff. Can’t you just leave things the way they were made?” (This was not an argument)
Me “This gives MY CAR the look I WANT and it’ll be easier to get in and out of. Besides, I like knowing how things work and how to fix or improve things if need be. Would you rather be with someone that doesn’t have the capacity to fix things? If you want to pay people to do things I know how to do because I learned how to do them that’s fine but you’re paying for it, not me. I change stuff to make it better, not just to mess with my stuff.”
She doesn’t complain at all when I redo the floors, change out toilets, replace water heaters, fix her car, plug a nail hole in her tire, etc etc etc. Plus if she needs tools for something she knows exactly where they are…….in my overcrowded toolbox.

My gun hobby on the other hand she will most likely never understand. I haven’t gotten her into shooting yet because she’s never handled a firearm before and she doesn’t show any interest in them because she’s afraid of them. Odd thing is I know her personality and I know she’ll not only like it but she’ll be good at it once she tries it.
Plus, lowered means less distance to fall out of................might mean not replacing a hip or knee........money saved ;)

yeah, my first 3 trucks, (1980 c-10 stepside, 1986 c-10 fleetside, were "normal" ride height.

then after i got rid of my '04 Ranger in 2010, BAM...they all went sky high, even the 2 WD models..(all i ever owned was 2WD trucks.....)

to me...senseless......to be jacked up so high from the factory.....

and yes, as @TEXASforLIFE says, shorter distance to the ground when we fall out...... :LOL:

yeah, my first 3 trucks, (1980 c-10 stepside, 1986 c-10 fleetside, were "normal" ride height.

then after i got rid of my '04 Ranger in 2010, BAM...they all went sky high, even the 2 WD models..(all i ever owned was 2WD trucks.....)

to me...senseless......to be jacked up so high from the factory.....

and yes, as @TEXASforLIFE says, shorter distance to the ground when we fall out...... :LOL:
Then you get people that are 4' tall driving jacked up 4x4's with 37's that can walk underneath and not hit their head

i very rarely change sights, only make adjustments.

but i still bought the Lyman sight tool, from Lyman, cheaper than from one of the usual online places i buy from.

i have only once now, had to replace a fiber optic rod in my Kimber, and did pretty good with that, using a good "old" Radio Shack soldering iron for the heat..

sometimes i buy gunsmithing tools, cuz i like tools (former mechanic, and Tim "the tool man" Taylor fan)

so passing by the tool isles at Home Depot, Lowe's, and my hardware stores are impossible.

but also, from time to time, i DO make some repairs, minor that they be, and i don't wanna hack or butcher my guns with improper tools.
So your next tool should be some non-marring jaw pads for your vice. I have a set and I still use leather on top of the pads. As you’ve experienced, leather is not really a match for hardened metal vice grips.

This looked interesting for securing a 1911 slide by the rails, not damaging the slide in a vice. Not expensive, but wonder just how secure it would be...

Last edited:
This looked interesting for securing a 1911 slide by the rails, not damaging the slide in a vice. Not expensive, but wonder just how secure it would be...

It is interesting but I have to wonder if it wouldn't damage the slide rails. The rear sight in my Garrison is so tight that in a vise with wooden jaws, covered with leather, the slide was still slightly marred when I finally resorted to a 3 lb. hammer and the rear sight still didn't budge in either direction.

Made an account just to post this. Read the comments from the first page, ignored them, and used a brass drift and a 3lb hammer and the rear sights moved further than I wanted them to (I was just trying to adjust them). I did it on a cutting board in my lap, and hit it 3 times like I meant it. It's completely possible to remove them at home. Don't give up and good luck!

Back