testtest

getting a lyman sight tool

Old_Me

Ronin
yeah, i took my S&W series "E" 1911 to the range, i was trying for the Xmas shooting contest.

we have to shoot at 25 yards a Xmas decoration.

and that shooting contest had several prizes, a Ruger .22, SDS (most likely Tisas) 1911, ammo, membership for a year, and a few other doo-dads.

$5.00 for 5 shots, your gun, no red dots, no laser, no rifles.....

dang gun at that distance i was shooting to the left. (so needless to say, i didn't hit the ornament)....but i DID hit the staple that had it attached to the backboard..>!!!

i looked at the rear sight, and could see that the sight was off to the left.

took it home, tried to push the sight to the right, nothing....(did i really expect this to work????)

so to avoid banging on it with a brass drift, i checked out a few of my online places, and i will be getting the Lyman tool by (hopefully) this saturday. (NOT at this price, much cheaper someplace else other than the tool company)

it'll come in handy, and save me time and money getting to a gunsmith, as i do have a few guns.

A really nice tool. Also a lot of money for no more need than the average shooter would have. I'm not cheap, especially on tools, but I am pretty frugal on some things with limited uses and try to match their usefulness to my particular requirements. But if you need it, by all means get it. Call it an early Christmas present to yourself. (y)(y)(y)

PS: I'll drop a hint to ol' St. Nick if need be !!!;):)

yeah, i took my S&W series "E" 1911 to the range, i was trying for the Xmas shooting contest.

we have to shoot at 25 yards a Xmas decoration.

and that shooting contest had several prizes, a Ruger .22, SDS (most likely Tisas) 1911, ammo, membership for a year, and a few other doo-dads.

$5.00 for 5 shots, your gun, no red dots, no laser, no rifles.....

dang gun at that distance i was shooting to the left. (so needless to say, i didn't hit the ornament)....but i DID hit the staple that had it attached to the backboard..>!!!

i looked at the rear sight, and could see that the sight was off to the left.

took it home, tried to push the sight to the right, nothing....(did i really expect this to work????)

so to avoid banging on it with a brass drift, i checked out a few of my online places, and i will be getting the Lyman tool by (hopefully) this saturday. (NOT at this price, much cheaper someplace else other than the tool company)

it'll come in handy, and save me time and money getting to a gunsmith, as i do have a few guns.

…wish my range would have those kinds of contests. THAT would motivate me ti get better.
I may have to suggest it to the Board, hmm…
I think you’ll enjoy that sight tool !

A really nice tool. Also a lot of money for no more need than the average shooter would have. I'm not cheap, especially on tools, but I am pretty frugal on some things with limited uses and try to match their usefulness to my particular requirements. But if you need it, by all means get it. Call it an early Christmas present to yourself. (y)(y)(y)

PS: I'll drop a hint to ol' St. Nick if need be !!!;):)

well here's "the thing" with me...long before i worked as a truck driver, i put in like about 18 years as an auto mechanic....so i had a rather large tool box/roll-a-way chest as many do, (now long gone).

however, i'd have as many "specialty tools" a mechanic needs, even if, he only needed it for one job, every once in a blue moon. better for me back then to have it, rather than to need and not have it, for the job at hand.

then too, Tim (the tool man Taylor) is my hero..!!!

i cannot go into a Lowe's, or Home Depot or Ace Hardware, and NOT walk by the tool section...lol

plus for the price i am paying, trust me, i have more stuff, now, than when i did as a mechanic.....lol

it can only add to the "for sale" monies when i can no longer shoot.

as i pointed out, the cost you saw in the Lyman website, is NOT the price i am paying.

i have a "credit" due me from the retailer i am buying it from, so that brought down the price even more than what they are selling it for....
…wish my range would have those kinds of contests. THAT would motivate me ti get better.
I may have to suggest it to the Board, hmm…
I think you’ll enjoy that sight tool !
yeah, it is my 1st Christmas there. i started this sport/hobby in january of 2020, so i missed the 2019 contest.

then in 2020, you know the "crap hit the fan" and all fun things were canceled.

so this is my 1st time participating.

i'd imagine the outlay of money for a range to do this, comes from what ever profits they make during the year?

from the range time, memberships, and sales floor...??

anyway, i will "give it a try" again next week, unless all the prizes are gone.

It's good to see that it works on different guns. While it may be expensive to some, if it keeps you from damaging an expensive pistol and knocking hundreds of dollars off its value it's probably worth every penny. Besides I could rent it out to all of my cheap buddies that are inclined to still do that Bubba thing to their guns.

Old_Me said this: "
well here's "the thing" with me...long before i worked as a truck driver, i put in like about 18 years as an auto mechanic....so i had a rather large tool box/roll-a-way chest as many do, (now long gone).

however, i'd have as many "specialty tools" a mechanic needs, even if, he only needed it for one job, every once in a blue moon. better for me back then to have it, rather than to need and not have it, for the job at hand.
i cannot go into a Lowe's, or Home Depot or Ace Hardware, and NOT walk by the tool section...lol
plus for the price i am paying, trust me, i have more stuff, now, than when i did as a mechanic.....lol
it can only add to the "for sale" monies when i can no longer shoot."

And I can not only agree with it, but relate to every word of it !!! (y)(y)(y) A little side note here .... I've been accused over the years of paying more attention to and taking better care of my tools than I do my wife. I probably can't argue that, but in my defense there are many more tools than wives that need my attention !!!

Old_Me said this: "

it can only add to the "for sale" monies when i can no longer shoot."

And I can not only agree with it, but relate to every word of it !!! (y)(y)(y) A little side note here .... I've been accused over the years of paying more attention to and taking better care of my tools than I do my wife. I probably can't argue that, but in my defense there are many more tools than wives that need my attention !!!
my Mrs goes to the Bingo games more than she's home.

which is to me, just fine. oh, we get along, and have been for many decades.

but that is her "thing" to do, as i have mine.

plus, she wins more than i have guns, ammo, tools....

she knows i have an "addiction" to my guns, ammo, tools, gizmo's, and Elizabeth Hurley.....

UPDATE:.......

my Lyman sight tool came this afternoon, from Natchez Shooting Supplies

i can not use it right now, as they recommend tape to be put on the slide, to prevent scratches, so i'll go to Lowes tomorrow morning and maybe by the Frog painters tape, as it peels away easy.

in any event, i did take a few pictures and descriptions as well, PLUS, one added "tool" i will have to use, and i'll explain later..

this Lyman sight tool comes with a straight sight pusher and an angled pusher, which will be in the pictures, plus the crank handle.

here is a pic, of the rear sight set up, of the rear sight of a 1911. you will see the straight pusher over the rear sight, and the angled pusher on the bench..and the crank handle attached, which is removable.

the instructions say to tighten all the adjustment thumb screws "FINGER TIGHT"...

and in this first picture, you can see how careful alignment to the tool for a 1911 is super important, as it just barely sits on the tool, when you need to install/remove the rear sight.

DSCN1190.JPG

here you will see how a 1911 fits into the cut out at the bottom, and you see that top thumb screw, in the middle of the 2 larger ones? that has 2 faces to it. one for a 1911 slide (rounded) and one for a flat slide, like for say a Glock. you might just barely see thru the pusher, the "rounded" head for a 1911..

DSCN1187.JPG

now an added tool that i have and think is important....
a carpenters "square"...i need to make sure the slide is perfectly straight in the tool, so as to not bend the slide....they do not tell you this in the rather great instruction booklet. but as i was trying to make the slide perfectly straight, it was impossible, until i looked at my back wall, saw the "square" and tried it....and it works.

as i mentioned above, a 1911 slide barely fits on the tool, with out falling into that cut out, where you would put the front of a 1911 into for the front sight. so crucial alignment is achieved with that carpenter's square

DSCN1191.JPG

i can't wait till tomorrow to get that tape, and push that S&W Series "E" sight in alignment.

the instruction manual also tells you the direction to install/remove sights, on the most popular guns, and tells you to contact the factory for others.

UPDATE:.......

my Lyman sight tool came this afternoon, from Natchez Shooting Supplies

i can not use it right now, as they recommend tape to be put on the slide, to prevent scratches, so i'll go to Lowes tomorrow morning and maybe by the Frog painters tape, as it peels away easy.

in any event, i did take a few pictures and descriptions as well, PLUS, one added "tool" i will have to use, and i'll explain later..

this Lyman sight tool comes with a straight sight pusher and an angled pusher, which will be in the pictures, plus the crank handle.

here is a pic, of the rear sight set up, of the rear sight of a 1911. you will see the straight pusher over the rear sight, and the angled pusher on the bench..and the crank handle attached, which is removable.

the instructions say to tighten all the adjustment thumb screws "FINGER TIGHT"...

and in this first picture, you can see how careful alignment to the tool for a 1911 is super important, as it just barely sits on the tool, when you need to install/remove the rear sight.

View attachment 23153

here you will see how a 1911 fits into the cut out at the bottom, and you see that top thumb screw, in the middle of the 2 larger ones? that has 2 faces to it. one for a 1911 slide (rounded) and one for a flat slide, like for say a Glock. you might just barely see thru the pusher, the "rounded" head for a 1911..

View attachment 23154

now an added tool that i have and think is important....
a carpenters "square"...i need to make sure the slide is perfectly straight in the tool, so as to not bend the slide....they do not tell you this in the rather great instruction booklet. but as i was trying to make the slide perfectly straight, it was impossible, until i looked at my back wall, saw the "square" and tried it....and it works.

as i mentioned above, a 1911 slide barely fits on the tool, with out falling into that cut out, where you would put the front of a 1911 into for the front sight. so crucial alignment is achieved with that carpenter's square

View attachment 23155

i can't wait till tomorrow to get that tape, and push that S&W Series "E" sight in alignment.

the instruction manual also tells you the direction to install/remove sights, on the most popular guns, and tells you to contact the factory for others.
That looks like a serious tool. Enjoy.

UPDATE: December 18th

ok, first and foremost,

in this picture, i said that when you put in a 1911 slide, you need to center it precisely. well the top piece comes off and turns 180 degrees' for the front sight or the rear sight, so my bad. when i inserted my 1911 slide, i had it set up for the pictures for the front sight.......,so when you remove the top and turn it that 180 degrees' of course the rear of a 1911 slide has more support....a big DOH on my part.....but hey, it was my first day.....:rolleyes:
1639841022004.png

ok, here is an exploded view of the Lyman tool.

DSCN1193.JPG

and now some of the taping you need to do, to avoid scratching the slide.

DSCN1194.JPG

DSCN1196.JPG

DSCN1198.JPG

in this picture, you will see the carpenters square and a muffler hanger, which by the way i checked it out, and it is as straight as an arrow, and easier to use then the square. but to be safe, i still backed up my adjustments to the clamping screws.

DSCN1199.JPG

more pictures coming...hold on, let me do this with out interruptions

here are more pics.

the very small sight set screw, which i used Blue Loctite to secure it

DSCN1201.JPG

this next pick, shows the top middle thumb screw that'll adjust the height to the sight for proper pushing

DSCN1203.JPG

the next 2 pics, are of the sight, after i pushed it to the right...and YES, you may have to "crank on it" to get it started. of course too, i used the Hoppes oil for lubing the pusher screw/block

these pics are lousy but the sight is now "more centered" to the target i was aiming at, on my wall.

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1206.JPG

now i have to wait till Monday morning for a range trip....

but over all, a really great tool, and believe it or not, i did not sweat a drop...!!

mostly cuz my basement was freezing cold.....and cuz i was doing EVERY thing SLOWLY, taking the slide out often to check my progress, readjusting the clamps. SLOWLY with finger pressure, not brute force...

in the end?

for the money....

i'm glad i got this tool, gives me one more thing i can do now......

thanks for reading, and your words of encouragement.......!!!!

UPDATE: December 18th

ok, first and foremost,

in this picture, i said that when you put in a 1911 slide, you need to center it precisely. well the top piece comes off and turns 180 degrees' for the front sight or the rear sight, so my bad. when i inserted my 1911 slide, i had it set up for the pictures for the front sight.......,so when you remove the top and turn it that 180 degrees' of course the rear of a 1911 slide has more support....a big DOH on my part.....but hey, it was my first day.....:rolleyes:
View attachment 23182

ok, here is an exploded view of the Lyman tool.

View attachment 23183

and now some of the taping you need to do, to avoid scratching the slide.

View attachment 23185

View attachment 23186

View attachment 23187

in this picture, you will see the carpenters square and a muffler hanger, which by the way i checked it out, and it is as straight as an arrow, and easier to use then the square. but to be safe, i still backed up my adjustments to the clamping screws.

View attachment 23188

more pictures coming...hold on, let me do this with out interruptions
Great review (Instructor me)

Great review (Instructor me)
it really is (to me) a very versatile tool, easy to set up, and easy to use.

i think as mentioned by others in other threads about this sort of tool, is that YES you may have to crank a bit on the tool, to get the sight to move. but once the sight starts moving, it's really pretty darned quick.

and YES, some "oil" on the VERY FINE THREADS on that pusher screw...!!!!!

but i think the reason why the threads are fine rather than coarse, is the infinite adjustments to the position of the sight.

Lyman sells it on thier site for $150

i got it at Natchez for $109, plus shipping, sadly, they don't seem to offer free shipping for items over $100.

but the shipping was about $16.00 via FedEx, and i got this tool really fast, like less than a week. ordered it on the 13th, they shipped it on the 14th, got it yesterday....17th...so what 4 days..????

not bad, since it is Christmas rush time..!!!

been a customer of Natchez for a while, really good people to deal with...

da end of my reviews.......:LOL:

it really is (to me) a very versatile tool, easy to set up, and easy to use.

i think as mentioned by others in other threads about this sort of tool, is that YES you may have to crank a bit on the tool, to get the sight to move. but once the sight starts moving, it's really pretty darned quick.

and YES, some "oil" on the VERY FINE THREADS on that pusher screw...!!!!!

but i think the reason why the threads are fine rather than coarse, is the infinite adjustments to the position of the sight.

Lyman sells it on thier site for $150

i got it at Natchez for $109, plus shipping, sadly, they don't seem to offer free shipping for items over $100.

but the shipping was about $16.00 via FedEx, and i got this tool really fast, like less than a week. ordered it on the 13th, they shipped it on the 14th, got it yesterday....17th...so what 4 days..????

not bad, since it is Christmas rush time..!!!

been a customer of Natchez for a while, really good people to deal with...

da end of my reviews.......:LOL:
I've bought a lot of things from Natchez over the years. I just bought some stuff from them a few weeks ago in fact. Their shipping prices are bad and I have not had the same experience as you with shipping times from them. In fact they rarely even give me tracking info. I know it will get there so I don't worry. It's just going to take a week or so.

I've bought a lot of things from Natchez over the years. I just bought some stuff from them a few weeks ago in fact. Their shipping prices are bad and I have not had the same experience as you with shipping times from them. In fact they rarely even give me tracking info. I know it will get there so I don't worry. It's just going to take a week or so.
wow, i got tracking info the same day as the sale went thru, then the next day, FedEx, had the info for me.

so i dunno your particular situation.

where i live, i do appreciate tracking, that way i can close off the front porch, and use signage for the delivery to the rear door.

cuts down on them thar pirates......

(plus there is ALWAYS someone home too)

wow, i got tracking info the same day as the sale went thru, then the next day, FedEx, had the info for me.

so i dunno your particular situation.

where i live, i do appreciate tracking, that way i can close off the front porch, and use signage for the delivery to the rear door.

cuts down on them thar pirates......

(plus there is ALWAYS someone home too)
We have no problems with porch pirates or the like around here. My brother in law lives across the street. Between the two households someone is ALWAYS home. And we have an army of cameras, not just here, but all throughout the area from the highway to here. You cannot turn on my street without me knowing about it. Besides, mostly just old people here. :)

My last 2 experiences with Natchez have been similar. Who knows what the deal was. It's like PSA. The first time I bought something from them I was convinced I had just gotten scammed. Their customer service was nonexistent ( probably still is) and a shotgun I bought was " Processing" in my account orders for over a week. In the end I got my gun in about 2 weeks. I have since bought all kinds of stuff from them with no such delays or concerns. My TS-12 was ordered on a Sunday night, shipped Monday morning and arrived at my LGS Tuesday afternoon.

Back