testtest

GHB Does anyone carry one?

Sld1959

Hellcat
Does anyone have dedicated Get Home Bags to take with them when they leave the house? I never did until I saw the results of 9/11. Seeing all those people suddenly walking and displaced made me think. Yes, they had the resources of New York to help them once they left the immediate area. But it made me think of my areas. In a large emergency, there would be little resources available outside of locals, who may, or may not be helpful under certain conditions. Even rural neighbors can become less than inviting when thier families are on the line, Especially after dark. And half the year here when I get off work there might be as little as twenty minutes daylight left. So, walking home if something occurred late in the day means walking at night.

So, I started creating GHBs for out vehicles. I work about 20 miles from home so given my age, and two hip replacements, that mean roughly a days walk, maybe more depending on weather and any injuries.

The balance of weight, and needs is an interesting challenge.

Last edited:
Does anyone have dedicated Get Home Bags to take with them when they leave the house? I never did until I saw the results of 9/11. Seeing all those people suddenly walking and displaced made me think. Yes, they had the resources of New York to help them once they left the immediate area. But it made me think of my areas. In a large emergency, there would be little resources available outside of locals, who may, or may not be helpful under certain conditions. Even rural neighbors can become less than inviting when thier families are on the line.

So, I started creating GHBs for out vehicles. I work about 20 miles from home so given my age, and two hip replacements, that mean roughly a days walk, maybe more depending on weather and any injuries.

Is a good idea for many reasons. Have for years. Clothes have on get too soiled to wear, getting stuck out in poor weather, vehicle's broke down, late night and too tired to travel, just changing plans at last minute are some of many reasons.

Is a good idea for many reasons. Have for years. Clothes have on get too soiled to wear, getting stuck out in poor weather, vehicle's broke down, late night and too tired to travel, just changing plans at last minute are some of many reasons.
Definitely. I keep a change of clothes, boots, blankets etc in my vehicles for both my wife and I. I also carry an 8 pack of water, yes it can freeze, but it can also be unthawed. I did some research on different brands to see which were not overfill and would freeze without bursting.

My Ghb is carryable, and supplements me after I change out using the car kit.

Definitely. I keep a change of clothes, boots, blankets etc in my vehicles for both my wife and I. I also carry an 8 pack of water, yes it can freeze, but it can also be unthawed. I did some research on different brands to see which were not overfill and would freeze without bursting.

My Ghb is carryable, and supplements me after I change out using the car kit.
A good tip to know is good insulated supposed freezer bags normally used for groceries also help to keep things from freezing too. Not indefinitely, but for quite awhile.

The definition of "The straw that broke the camel's back" As a construction worker I found myself a long ways from home quite often. Had a real hard time keeping the GHB weight below 25 pounds, doesn't sound like much but like a lot of 'easy' things in life, if you don't practice with it, it's hard to do !! One of the better suggestions I found for a vehicle GHB is a bicycle that fits in the trunk. If we start posting what we think should be in the bags this thread will challenge the 'chicken' thread !!

Personally, I keep a distinction between a GHB and a vehicle emergency kit. The GHB being strictly what I would carry as I walk out, after i have used anything else at my disposal to prepare. Extra clothing, except maybe a pair of socks, gloves and a hat are not included in it. Those are part of the normal vehicle kit which I have always included in my vehicles.

The other items cover the basic needs fire possibly in emergency, water/purification, a snack food, item,, self defence, basic tool (multitool and knife) including compass & map, illumination, and a very minimal first aid kit.

The definition of "The straw that broke the camel's back" As a construction worker I found myself a long ways from home quite often. Had a real hard time keeping the GHB weight below 25 pounds, doesn't sound like much but like a lot of 'easy' things in life, if you don't practice with it, it's hard to do !! One of the better suggestions I found for a vehicle GHB is a bicycle that fits in the trunk. If we start posting what we think should be in the bags this thread will challenge the 'chicken' thread !!
"If we start posting what we think should be in the bags this thread will challenge the 'chicken' thread !!"
- Hah it could! Seasons, areas traveling and needs change and so does the bags contents.

Bicycle in the trunk? Not so strange. Sounds a little different, but not really if thought about? And there are folding bikes available to make it easier too. Some long haul truckers used to know kept bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles behind the trucks cab. Have seen many motor homes towing a small car behind them too. So, why not?

I have basic survival items in the trunk of my vehicles and subscribe to the near universal idea of a kit sufficient for a 72 hour displacement. If all I need to do is "go home".. great, but I wont count on any crisis to me limited to such a narrow profile. Most basic survival issues do not change all that much within the same geo-region. I typically suggest that people prepare a basic survival kit or dont ( no half measures). All I need to "walk home" is a hat, good shoes and a jug of water. Survival can be a very different scenario altogether and If I am suddenly thrust into some manner of crisis, I wont count on it simply be a walk home. If that is all it is.. a walk home? I only need a jug of water, hat and decent shoes.

Nope… there’s really no point in my case. I’ll either be :
a) standing on ground zero when the SHTF, or
b) three counties away from where I last recall leaving it, or
c) at home (hint- see a) above!)

I keep boots, clothes and a few minor items but not as a GHB, but rather a “Go Hunting Bag” 😁

i work in biz casual. Slacks/dress shoes.

when I get the “join us after work for a hog hunt” I can divert and be ready with proper boots, cargo pants, shirt based on weather, etc..
very small bag as well.

so it kinda serves as a dual get home or go hunting bag.

Does anyone have dedicated Get Home Bags to take with them when they leave the house? I never did until I saw the results of 9/11. Seeing all those people suddenly walking and displaced made me think. Yes, they had the resources of New York to help them once they left the immediate area. But it made me think of my areas. In a large emergency, there would be little resources available outside of locals, who may, or may not be helpful under certain conditions. Even rural neighbors can become less than inviting when thier families are on the line, Especially after dark. And half the year here when I get off work there might be as little as twenty minutes daylight left. So, walking home if something occurred late in the day means walking at night.

I keep a utility bag in the back of my Jeep with some basic tools and a high-torque 18v impact wrench in case I need to do a quick tire change. Also space blankets, water, some snacks, fire starters, a good knife, road flares, and a compressed sleeping bag. It's not really a get home bag, just some stuff in case I break down at a bad spot or time. If I'm going somewhere more remote I add a .357 mag, extra clothes, and boots.

Back