testtest

Glock 20: Why the 10mm Pistol Is One You Want in the Backcountry

Interesting post, thanks Anni. I have a G20, but without any modifications. I bought a CAA MCK model for the Glock G20/G21. I have both Glocks, but decided to place the G20 in the Micro Conversion Kit. I suppose I could take that for defense of bears here in Pa. :unsure:, or I could carry one of my 44 Mags, my 454 Casull, Desert Eagle 50AE 🧐 or heck, even my Marlin 1895SBL 45-70. Decisions, decisions, what on earth should I chose 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Good Morning Annihilator,

We agree far more than the contrary.

The author of the linked article is entitled to his opinion.

I'm indifferent to the 10MM cartridge.

The 10MM has been on the ropes since Colonel Jeff Cooper's abandoned it if favor of his beloved 1911-A1 .45 Auto. As I know you know, Colonel Cooper was the dominant force that legitimized the 10MM. After a few years, he abandoned if in favor of the .45 Auto.

The Firearms Training Unit of the FBI scientifically proved that .40 caliber cartridges were at their optimum for law enforcement use with 180 grain bullets at a nominal velocity of 1000 FPS. Hence, the 10MM was diminishing returns for cop work.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be in the Rockies early next week catching and releasing only 30" trout (I do have a sense of humor) then chasing Rocky Mountain mule deer, then suffering more humiliation at the fins of trout. My only wilderness handgun is my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. I never carry a handgun while hunting with a big game rifle. The .45 Auto is a powerful cartridge. I use allegedly more powerful 230 grain Fed HST LE +P ammo as bear defense.

My theory is if handgun manufacturers were to produce 1911-A1 handguns display case ready to fire the .45 Super cartridge, it would hasten obsolescence of the 10MM. On paper, the .45 Super is impressive. In reality, I have no basis of fact that it would be superior in actual use as mean critter defense. Standard pressure 230 grain .45 Auto ball ammo will produce impressive penetration, more than sufficient to do serious damage to any bear's skeletal structure.

The big game cartridge corollary is hunters are committed to their favorite cartridges based solely upon emotion. If a hunter really believes a .300 Mag will kill Rocky Mountain big game deader than a .308 Win, I'm good. In scientifica reality, either will kill the largest bull elk that has ever lived equally dead, and there's no equal to dead. A dead bull elk is just as dead regardless of cartridge that reduced it to table fare.

Interesting post, thanks Anni. I have a G20, but without any modifications. I bought a CAA MCK model for the Glock G20/G21. I have both Glocks, but decided to place the G20 in the Micro Conversion Kit. I suppose I could take that for defense of bears here in Pa. :unsure:, or I could carry one of my 44 Mags, my 454 Casull, Desert Eagle 50AE 🧐 or heck, even my Marlin 1895SBL 45-70. Decisions, decisions, what on earth should I chose 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣
Or, you could just borrow one of @10mmLife camo yeet cannons...🤪🤪

Last edited:
Good Morning Annihilator,

We agree far more than the contrary.

The author of the linked article is entitled to his opinion.

I'm indifferent to the 10MM cartridge.

The 10MM has been on the ropes since Colonel Jeff Cooper's abandoned it if favor of his beloved 1911-A1 .45 Auto. As I know you know, Colonel Cooper was the dominant force that legitimized the 10MM. After a few years, he abandoned if in favor of the .45 Auto.

The Firearms Training Unit of the FBI scientifically proved that .40 caliber cartridges were at their optimum for law enforcement use with 180 grain bullets at a nominal velocity of 1000 FPS. Hence, the 10MM was diminishing returns for cop work.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be in the Rockies early next week catching and releasing only 30" trout (I do have a sense of humor) then chasing Rocky Mountain mule deer, then suffering more humiliation at the fins of trout. My only wilderness handgun is my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. I never carry a handgun while hunting with a big game rifle. The .45 Auto is a powerful cartridge. I use allegedly more powerful 230 grain Fed HST LE +P ammo as bear defense.

My theory is if handgun manufacturers were to produce 1911-A1 handguns display case ready to fire the .45 Super cartridge, it would hasten obsolescence of the 10MM. On paper, the .45 Super is impressive. In reality, I have no basis of fact that it would be superior in actual use as mean critter defense. Standard pressure 230 grain .45 Auto ball ammo will produce impressive penetration, more than sufficient to do serious damage to any bear's skeletal structure.

The big game cartridge corollary is hunters are committed to their favorite cartridges based solely upon emotion. If a hunter really believes a .300 Mag will kill Rocky Mountain big game deader than a .308 Win, I'm good. In scientifica reality, either will kill the largest bull elk that has ever lived equally dead, and there's no equal to dead. A dead bull elk is just as dead regardless of cartridge that reduced it to table fare.
Morning SATRP, yea, just his opinion, but that’s what makes a forum good, various opinions, myself, I probably would grab a Ruger Alaskan in .454 casull, to me, there is actually no magic caliber, I would just carry and use what you feel comfortable with.

I’m still contemplating a 10mm for a truck/camping, trail hiking gun but it will be a Springfield Armory gun not a Glock.

What I really want is Marlin lever gun in 45-70 16 inch barrel Guide gun.
The .45/70 Gov't in a modern rifle such as the 1895G can be loaded to become impressively powerful. A properly loaded .45/70 cartridge is a legitimate elephant cartridge. The only rifle I'd want if I were to have to go into thick stuff after a mean griz would be an 1895 .45/70.

From a practical perspective, shoulder fired weapons can become unwieldy while hiking and definitely while fishing.

I've been in many wilderness big game hunting camps. Long guns are always out of reach. A handgun is always on your belt.

If I were going to buy a 10MM, I'd buy a Springfield Armory TRP.

Morning SATRP, yea, just his opinion, but that’s what makes a forum good, various opinions, myself, I probably would grab a Ruger Alaskan in .454 casull, to me, there is actually no magic caliber, I would just carry and use what you feel comfortable with.
That has always been my replay. Self-defense is an individual choice. People should carry what's perfect for them, not what's perfect for the person doing the recommending.

The .45/70 Gov't in a modern rifle such as the 1895G can be loaded to become impressively powerful. A properly loaded .45/70 cartridge is a legitimate elephant cartridge. The only rifle I'd want if I were to have to go into thick stuff after a mean griz would be an 1895 .45/70.

From a practical perspective, shoulder fired weapons can become unwieldy while hiking and definitely while fishing.

I've been in many wilderness big game hunting camps. Long guns are always out of reach. A handgun is always on your belt.

I know all about the cartridge and Marlin rifles since I made them for 15 years.
thanks for your input though.

Got the TRP's in 45 and 6" 10mm. Also all the Glock 10mm's (G29,G20,G40), Colt Delta Elite and Ruger SR1911 in 10's and Sprinfield's XDm 5.25" 10mm as well

The 1895g is an impressive rifle and it backs an amazing punch. I completely agree it would be my go-to in the bush. That rifle with a 430gr hardcast will drop anything. I love mine.

I have a Colt Delta Elite that I absolutely love, and a XDm 5.25 that I love for different reasons. Both are more precise than me, and I highly doubt I'll be worried about bullseye shooting if I'm trying to drop an angry predator. I like having the multiple safeties and external hammer on the Delta, but I also like having 15 rounds in a slightly lighter package in the XDm. They are both fantastic pistols. I'm generally a 1911 guy and think it's about the perfect design, but I think I'd go with the XDm in the bush. Less for branches to grab and I'd really rather have 15 rounds to 8 rounds if I ever had a concern about a griz. Those things are tanks; I'd rather have more lead to throw at them in the mag than have to reload after 8. That's the deciding factor for me. I'd love to give the TRP a dance.

Got the TRP's in 45 and 6" 10mm. Also all the Glock 10mm's (G29,G20,G40), Colt Delta Elite and Ruger SR1911 in 10's and Sprinfield's XDm 5.25" 10mm as well
When can I come to your house to play?

As I've repeatedly written, I have no feelings of the 10MM one way or the other. I have zero experience with the 10MM. I've never fired a 10MM. Hence, I have zero basis for opining on the 10MM. Now if I were to fire your TRP 10MM, I might just develop affinity for it and be out another couple grand. But the sad reality is the totalitarian state of CA forbids We the People from buying an SA TRP 10MM. A doper can legally buy all the dope he wants to keep him catatonic, but We the People cannot but any handgun that CA DOJ's omniscience deems unsafe. Add to that that all semis not preexisting on CA infamous, ridiculous, and unconstitutional handgun roster must be equipped with nonexistent microstamping technology. How would microstamping prevent any crime? How could microstamping solve any crime? The connecting dots is the infamous roster and microstamping are gimmicks designed to eliminate sales of semis in CA. There's no doubt in my mind that CA's totalitarian politicians are working on eliminating sales of revolvers. The only way that I see to negate blatantly unconstitutional laws is preempting federal national carry, which would cause Gavin Newson to expedite delivery of cases of Depends.

Good article on the Glock 20. My Glock 20 is set up similar to the author's including the drop in 40 S&W barrel. I also carried it in a chest rig on my last hunt in Alaska. Previously I always carried my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag. I felt comfortable that either would be enough for a grizzly if necessary. The Glock 20 is lighter, holds more rounds and is easier to get follow up rounds on target. As others have said individual tastes and preferences vary. Just my 2 cents. :)

When can I come to your house to play?

As I've repeatedly written, I have no feelings of the 10MM one way or the other. I have zero experience with the 10MM. I've never fired a 10MM. Hence, I have zero basis for opining on the 10MM. Now if I were to fire your TRP 10MM, I might just develop affinity for it and be out another couple grand. But the sad reality is the totalitarian state of CA forbids We the People from buying an SA TRP 10MM. A doper can legally buy all the dope he wants to keep him catatonic, but We the People cannot but any handgun that CA DOJ's omniscience deems unsafe. Add to that that all semis not preexisting on CA infamous, ridiculous, and unconstitutional handgun roster must be equipped with nonexistent microstamping technology. How would microstamping prevent any crime? How could microstamping solve any crime? The connecting dots is the infamous roster and microstamping are gimmicks designed to eliminate sales of semis in CA. There's no doubt in my mind that CA's totalitarian politicians are working on eliminating sales of revolvers. The only way that I see to negate blatantly unconstitutional laws is preempting federal national carry, which would cause Gavin Newson to expedite delivery of cases of Depends.
Thanks SATRP, I enjoy collecting and have many firearms in different calibers. I don't really have a preference on caliber, as they all have advantages and disadvantages, and I select one over another depending on my intended use and circumstance.
I feel for you legal gun owners in California, this microstamping is just the State's government way to eventually prohibit firearms to its legal citizenry. For what I understand with this new law in place, for a firearm to be placed on the "approved" list it has to be able to microstamp the fired cartridge casing. For every new firearm to make the list with this feature, 3 formerly approved that don't have this feature are removed. If firearm manufactures refuse to include this feature to be California compliant, then your State's "Approved" list will basically stay frozen as it is now (until they come up with a new ploy er law, to eventually remove some or all that are currently approved).
I use to live in New Jersey (and have good friends that still do), and their laws are just as bad. One of their laws is, if a "Smart" firearm (the kind Biden is pushing for if elected), is sold ANYWHERE in the U.S., then all firearms approved for sale to legal NJ residence in that State, would have to posses some sort of "Smart" technology. No other firearm that doesn't have "Smart" technology would be legal to sell. A FFL (I believe in California), was set to sell A "Smart" handgun marketed by Armatix (see excerpt taken from a uTube description of this firearm, below), until their store was protested and boycotted. When the owner found out about this NJ law, he removed the firearm from sale.

The first smart gun for the U.S. market has gone on sale in California. The .22 caliber iP1 handgun developed by German arms manufacturer Armatix, currently only available in the U.S. at a single store...,

So, my condolences to all of you in California and all other residents of restrictive States like it out there.

My 2 cents is that if I was hunting bear I would use my 1895 45/70 if it was just for protection my XDM 10mm with 15 rounds. I would rather have more than I need than not enough. If for protection I feel the 1895 to be to big to carry if I was doing something else like hiking or camping. But as always something is better than nothing.

Nope—revolver in a caliber beginning with “4” or “5”, and ending in “Magnum”, “Colt” or “Casull” for me.

The line about not being able to shoot a revolver accurately? That’s a user error, not a problem with the platform. If you are going to rely on something to save your life, it’s on you to take the time & effort into learning how to use it properly. Revolvers are actually a hell of a lot more accurate than any Glock can be.

Additionally, one benefit the revolver has over any auto is contact shots. If it all goes bad, and whatever is trying to eat you is actually on you...you can press a revolver into it and keep shooting. An auto can’t—it will be pressed out of battery. Sure, with a Glock, you can lock the slide with your thumb on the back of it (and no, you won’t tear your thumb off—I’ve done it, both thumbs are attached)...but you only have one shot.

For these reasons...a heavy caliber revolver is far superior to any auto for the “close critter defense” role.

I was just looking into the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 the other day. Unfortunately, I can't find one in stock. I actually like Glocks, but I don't think one would be my go-to in bear country. I also find it odd whenever an article declares a gun to be the best weapon for a certain situation, but then proceeds to list numerous modifications that are required. I prefer to purchase guns that come ready for their intended purpose from the factory, and only make minor modifications to meet my personal preferences. I rarely modify anything on my handguns other than sights (I'm a fan of night sights).

And it seems to me if a bear or other dangerous predator is far enough away that precision shooting is required, it would be better to just stay quite and hope it goes the other way. :) This doesn't apply if you are hunting with a handgun, of course.
You're right. Avoidance is the only proven strategy for remaining vertical.

Back