testtest

Going the distance!

^ Maybe, but maybe not. ;)

Look at how the public perceived Vic Stacy, the legally armed citizen who took those shots in his trailer-park to save the life of a responding officer in TX.

OK, so it wasn't 80 yards ;) - but heck, 56 ( https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/one-year-later-vic-stacy-and-the-peach-house-shootout/ ) ain't too shabby! :)

And we do know for-certain that Governor Rick Perry gave Mr. Stacy a nice brand-spankin' new Larue 7.62 OBR and a case of ammo for his troubles.....

FWIW, I don't think that you're necessarily wrong: and you're definitely right, it's going to be hard to make a "self defense" case out of an 80-yard shot (although it could be said that if you're taking incoming fire from said shooter, does it not stand to-reason that if you hit him and killed him, the same could be said the other way around, too, and that circumstances did indeed fit the AJOP criteria?). But at the same time, we have also seen that bad-breath distance shootings to have sparked the ire of prosecutors with certain political leanings.

I think in-reality, the circumstances are going to dictate both what we do and also the fallout thereafter.

However, that, I do not think, should be how we go about preparing for the fight of our lives.

The skills inherent to the longer shots are directly applicable towards both closer shots that demand greater precision as well as at faster cadence - certainly, we should be aware of how the legal implications of our defensive shooting (both in the criminal as well as civil sense), but those considerations, I believe, should be separated from the same of our skills.

I do agree it depends on the situation. More so where you live. I now reside in a RED state full of good old boys. I don't fear as much being involved as I would back in my now turned BLUE birth state.

We like pilots have mere seconds to evaluate and react to a situation that can never be completely planned or trained for. THEY on the other hand can have YEARs to evaluate what should have happened. Should we or the pilot be deceased we can almost rest assured who will be found at fault. IMHO

With my carry arms (SIG, 40, 45) I practice from 6 to 21 feet (22-7yds, 1.8-6.4m). I believe now I will start pushing out further. I have been told many times by many knowledgeable folks that most confrontations are from 6 to 18 feet. That may very well be true, but we also need to be able to reach out a bit further, as has been aptly demonstrated.
I think you are right on with your distances and pushing out to 10-15 is reasonable. I know for me over 15 is where my skills start to decline. I think at some point you would have to start defending the distance if it was a self defense incident.

I always practice with the rules of 3. 3 shots in 3 yards within 3 seconds. Other then that I practice accuracy shots at 25 yards with pistols.
I think you are right on with your distances and pushing out to 10-15 is reasonable. I know for me over 15 is where my skills start to decline. I think at some point you would have to start defending the distance if it was a self defense incident.
The Glock I carry has a 4.01" tube on it. It's good for close in support. I have no where's at all the capability of the cops in the old TV shows that could get a mile out of a 2" snubby 38. I notice with my SA 1911 and it's 5" barrel my accuracy increases further away than the Glock. But then my 7.5" Super Black Hawk does even better than all of them but still not as good as the 10" Super Black Hawk Buntline.
I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a 4" tube at 300 meters. If I was going to try something like that I should have a rifle. As an average Joe the rifle is exactly the crutch I need! :ROFLMAO:

With my carry arms (SIG, 40, 45) I practice from 6 to 21 feet (22-7yds, 1.8-6.4m). I believe now I will start pushing out further. I have been told many times by many knowledgeable folks that most confrontations are from 6 to 18 feet. That may very well be true, but we also need to be able to reach out a bit further, as has been aptly demonstrated.
FBI stats say that most officer involved shootings occur at 50 feet or less.

The distance I shoot at the range depends on the weapons I am shooting. My EDC ( 38 SPL, 9MM or 45 ACP) guns usually shot at 25 yards or less. My Dan Wesson .445 Supermag, T/C Contender(multiple calibers), 10 MM or .357 Mag I shoot out to 100 yards. All my rifles I shoot at 100 yards to 500 yards (Nice to have access to a silhouette range! ;) )

Back