testtest

Good Optics/Grip for Saint Victor .308??

ddeuce22

Professional
Hey guys, looking for some input here. I'm not totally without experience handling firearms, but I recently moved to Texas (From NYC) so i'm now enjoying the freedom I so longed for, and I consider myself pretty novice to all of this still.
I recently purchased my first rifle, the Saint Victor in .308. (I've shot .308 before but never out of an AR platform).

To be honest I originally wanted the Victor in 5.56 but couldn't find it on the shelves or online for awhile and when I saw the .308 at my local shop, it was a good price and I told myself AR-15's are cheaper and now i'll just have another reason to buy one later.

I'm looking for some advice on an optic, as well as a grip as mentioned above. Currently I'm considering the Vortex Strikefire II. I'm not quite looking for a scope or magnifier yet as I feel i'm still far from taking the .308 cartridge out to the point where I would need those. Around that price range is where i'm comfortable as far as optics go, for now. Any tips, comments, or suggestions appreciated.

As for grip, I was thinking a Magpul AFG or MVG.
To be transparent I have not put any rounds through it yet but plan to this weekend.
Do you think Vertical or Angled would be better for a larger caliber out of the AR platform? Originally I wanted angled but the more I think about it, Vertical seems to make more sense.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of the Strikefire, you might want to go with the Crossfire; having the option of a little magnification (1-4x) isn’t a bad thing, and it’s in your price range. Otherwise, for a straight red dot, the Strikefire isn’t a bad option for the money.

As far as AFG vs VFG...it’s really what feels more natural to you. I tend towards VFG’s, myself...one benefit is that you can use it like a AFG if you want.

Hey guys, looking for some input here. I'm not totally without experience handling firearms, but I recently moved to Texas (From NYC) so i'm now enjoying the freedom I so longed for, and I consider myself pretty novice to all of this still.
I recently purchased my first rifle, the Saint Victor in .308. (I've shot .308 before but never out of an AR platform).

To be honest I originally wanted the Victor in 5.56 but couldn't find it on the shelves or online for awhile and when I saw the .308 at my local shop, it was a good price and I told myself AR-15's are cheaper and now i'll just have another reason to buy one later.

I'm looking for some advice on an optic, as well as a grip as mentioned above. Currently I'm considering the Vortex Strikefire II. I'm not quite looking for a scope or magnifier yet as I feel i'm still far from taking the .308 cartridge out to the point where I would need those. Around that price range is where i'm comfortable as far as optics go, for now. Any tips, comments, or suggestions appreciated.

To be transparent I have not put any rounds through it yet but plan to this weekend.
Do you think Vertical or Angled would be better for a larger caliber out of the AR platform? Originally I wanted angled but the more I think about it, Vertical seems to make more sense.

Thanks in advance!!!!
I prefer vertical grips on ARs, personally.

The Vortex Spitfire X3 Prism, Sig Sauer Bravo3 Battlesight, Burris AR X3 are all AR 15/10 scopes with 3X magnification that I recommend, they all fall in the $300 to $350ish price range, so they are not cheap but not super pricey and all have lifetime warranties.

As a budget optic that can be just as dependable a piece of glass, consider the AT3 Tactical 3XP Scope, it is around $240.

If you want little to no magnification, then the Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism is the perfect AR sight, it runs for around $249 but can be found for a little less some times.

I think all of the above mentioned can be found on Amazon or at your local gun store.

Where in Texas do you live?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Vortex is good glass in either red dot or scope. I run both on my .308 Saint Victors.
i prefer vertical fore grip over angle, particularly in the larger calibers.
Dont forget that you are now in Texas and anything goes. The 50 rd .308 Magpul D50 drum mags work great on the Victor .308 😉
580A3153-BB9A-477A-BA9F-56E2DC340FB8.jpeg

I prefer vertical grips on ARs, personally.

The Vortex Spitfire X3 Prism, Sig Sauer Bravo3 Battlesight, Burris AR X3 are all AR 15/10 scopes with 3X magnification that I recommend, they all fall in the $300 to $350ish price range, so they are not cheap but not super pricey and all have lifetime warranties.

As a budget optic that can be just as dependable a piece of glass, consider the AT3 Tactical 3XP Scope, it is around $240.

If you want little to no magnification, then the Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism is the perfect AR sight, it runs for around $249 but can be found for a little less some times.

I think all of the above mentioned can be found on Amazon or at your local gun store.

Where in Texas do you live?
Appreciate the recs and looks like I have some more homework to do before making a decision. I'm up in NW ATX, Thankfully not in Travis Co.

Vortex is good glass in either red dot or scope. I run both on my .308 Saint Victors.
i prefer vertical fore grip over angle, particularly in the larger calibers.
Dont forget that you are now in Texas and anything goes. The 50 rd .308 Magpul D50 drum mags work great on the Victor .308 😉
View attachment 15611
Hahaha, After loading up one of the Pmag 25's, I definitely don't want the 50 rd drum. 💪 💪
Besides, who the hell can afford to pop off rounds like that right now? I had a hell of a time just finding a few hundred rounds for it. Managed to get a bunch of 7.62x51, but only like 80 rounds of actual .308 Match BTHP

Last edited:
I appreciate all the feedback gentleman. I'm going to stick with a red-dot type sight for now as I dont think i'm ready to really utilize a scope properly, will cross that bridge when I get to it.

So I'm stuck on Either the Vortex Spitfire X1 Prism, or the Strikefire II.
I simply cannot decide. Need some swaying here. For a novice shooter who is still learning solid shooting habits/fundamentals which one would you pick?

I appreciate all the feedback gentleman. I'm going to stick with a red-dot type sight for now as I dont think i'm ready to really utilize a scope properly, will cross that bridge when I get to it.

So I'm stuck on Either the Vortex Spitfire X1 Prism, or the Strikefire II.
I simply cannot decide. Need some swaying here. For a novice shooter who is still learning solid shooting habits/fundamentals which one would you pick?
Of those two I strongly endorse the Vortex Spitfire X12 Prism, you can shoot with both eyes open and it let's you get very good target acquisition quickly. Would be easy to resell as well if you wanted to move on from it.

Of those two I strongly endorse the Vortex Spitfire X12 Prism, you can shoot with both eyes open and it let's you get very good target acquisition quickly. Would be easy to resell as well if you wanted to move on from it.
Sold. Spitfire X1 Prism has been ordered. Also just picked up a Magpul MVG. Will post some pics when I get it all set up.
Thanks again for the advice!!

Optics choice should be dictated by how far you plan on shooting your rifle at. Red dot sights like the Vortex Strikefire, are realistically a 100 yard or less option. IMO, a 308 is a 800 yard caliber. I know lots of guys regularly compete 1000 yards with 308, but the ballistics of the round favors 800 yards and less.

LPVO is a great option that gives you similar to red dot performance at 1x, but lets you stretch out to the potential of 308. I'm using a 1-4x LPVO on my 308, and tbh I've only shot out to 300 yards, and the 4x at that range is adequate for ringing steel, but not exactly consistently.

Sooooo, I kinda bought a Sig M400 Tread yesterday because my LGS got one in and it was the right price. (My gf says I have a problem, and that this is too expensive of a hobby. She's right but i'll never let her know that).

So i'm thinking at this point I should just take that Vortex off of the .308 above and put it on the Tread, and get an LPVO for the .308

I guess my confusion or question here is ... Rings. How do I know what rings I need to get?

Pic for attention/showing off below.
PXL_20210314_005542862.jpg

Back