testtest

Good Sign for Ammo Availability?

wmg1299

Professional
When the ammo crunch really got going last year, Sportsman's Guide started allowing members to make pre-orders at guaranteed prices. I ordered 1000 rounds of 62 gr 5.56 PMC Brass for $408 in August of 2020. I received e-mails for months extended the expected delivery date, and started to wonder if it would ever arrive. It finally arrived this weekend at the promised price.

While all of the stores in my area still have strict purchase limits, I'm starting to see popular calibers show up again. The expected delivery date for the 9mm I ordered has been moved to July, but at least I seeing some supply start to trickle back onto store shelves. It's just a glimmer of hope at this point, but that's more than I've had in months. I'm hoping members across the country are starting to see improvement as well.

Yea, my local gun shop has been getting ammo in very regularly, but people are still hoarding it, there’s a 200 round limit per day, but they are coming with either family or friends, going in to buy there limit, then leave and send the other person in. Shop has been told about it, but they say can’t do anything about it, gets old fast.

Yep, the shop that did the transfer on my Suoer Redhawk had a good bit of Sig 10mm (good stuff!) and .44 mag. I'm well stocked on both so I left it all there. My indoor range has had .357 mag the last couple times I've been there. It seems like things are improving.

I can get any amount of 9mm at $50-54 for a box of 50 FMJ.
I can get it, only in one place, at $35 if I am really lucky.
Bass Pro Shops has it at $19 (got two boxes with my new pistol), but there are people going there every day to check on them. I only saw boxes of JHP at $34 at BSP but I didn't buy them, I still have some that I got at exorbitant price.

Personally I ordered two 50 boxes, online from Federal, for $27 each (American eagle 124 grain). That's the max amount they sell, bad part is that they add $12 for shipping. The estimated shipping time is approximately 15-20 days from order date.

All those are without taxes.

PS: I saw boxes of 45 and 40 S&W here and there (for example Bass Pro Shops), at lower prices than the overpriced 9mm...

Getting in something other than 9mm is sort of nice in some ways! But? Not sure what to think about some of the newly placed old worn faded looking higher priced boxes of ammo of different caliber ammo on some of the shelves around here. Weird seeing 50 cal on some shelves again.

Frame of reference
9mm was avg $8.50 a box for really good stuff
5.56 was .32-.34 cents a round for 62 gr and .25-.29 cents a round for 55 gr

anything thats more than a 25% increase in price is pure gouge.
Which means 95% of the market is gouging.
We live in a free market, so if people are willing to pay and run them out of stock, then they have every right to charge what the market will bear

.357 is unobtainable in my area but 38 Spcial is so due to the dual-use am filling out my supply goal, and for practicing, with that platform with it, albeit at .82/rd.

Still have a decent supply of regular .357 but not worth burning it up with 38 Special available.

In general, no change in availability, and inflated prices that I've seen.

That's about my limit as well.

Apparently I'll pay a little more for 5.56. Like about twice as much.
Yeah, I’m about the same, there...but, when you stop to think about it, 9mm was “buy it now“ for me at .18, and break point of .20...so, double price.

5.56 was usually somewhere in the .30-.35/rd, so...we're looking at being willing to pay double 2019 prices.

At least we're consistent...

9mm was “buy it now“ for me at .18, and break point of .20...so, double price.
IMO that's called inflation. What those trillions of "stimulus" and "free" money are doing to the economy is just devaluing the currency.
Demand and supply. Got $1,400 from "uncle" Biden, I got more money to spend it on toys. Probably not what he intended...
I need to go on the range, otherwise I might as well not have the gun around. Maybe will be once a month instead of twice a month...
Speaking of costs, what's to go out to eat now that they enacted minimum $15 wages in many places? Just cook a pizza in house and call it "savings".

PS: For me this is deja-vu. In 1990's I was in a country that had politicians print money to get political gains. Stupid people will vote for "free money" and that's the universal vote biggest flaw. I had savings in bank almost enough to buy a car, but since everyone had more and more money it was hard to find products (that car) at nominal prices. Eventually I managed to get a color TV with those money.
In a couple of years that government ended up "deleting" four zeros from the existing currency, to make it "valuable" again.

Last edited:
IMO that's called inflation. What those trillions of "stimulus" and "free" money are doing to the economy is just devaluing the currency.
Demand and supply. Got $1,400 from "uncle" Biden, I got more money to spend it on toys. Probably not what he intended...
I need to go on the range, otherwise I might as well not have the gun around. Maybe will be once a month instead of twice a month...
Speaking of costs, what's to go out to eat now that they enacted minimum $15 wages in many places? Just cook a pizza in house and call it "savings".

PS: For me this is deja-vu. In 1990's I was in a country that had politicians print money to get political gains. Stupid people will vote for "free money" and that's the universal vote biggest flaw. I had savings in bank almost enough to buy a car, but since everyone had more and more money it was hard to find products (that car) at nominal prices. Eventually I managed to get a color TV with those money.
In a couple of years that government ended up "deleting" four zeros from the existing currency, to make it "valuable" again.
Yeh yeh, inflation has me the most worried at this point! I was just outta high school in the early 90's and oblivious to the inflation that was going on around me. Now I try not to pay over $0.50 a round for .45 ACP and I'm finding that increasingly difficult! The same has happened with the GPU market for PCs this past year. Double and triple MSRP all day long like hot cakes. I almost wish I could pay these prices and just be done with it but something DEEP in my bones will NOT allow it.

The same has happened with the GPU market for PCs this past year.
Money is just paper, a convention. Is not that the bullets got more expensive, in reality your wages got reduced by politicians printing paper. There is an increased supply of that printed paper.

In 2018 I had a Radeon RX580 Red Devil Golden that, a year later, in 2019, I wasn't too happy with it and I moved into my daughter computer to make room for an used GTX1080. At that point the RX580 would sell for like $200 and I have paid for an used GTX1080 some $380-$400.
Today, 2021, Newegg sells the RX580 Red Devil at $600-$1150 and the GTX1080 at $1200-2000.
Cell phones prices? Don't get me started... and the next year will be even worse.
Car manufacturers cannot sell cars because they don't have enough chips for them. Toyota gives only one FOB with their new cars because cannot get enough chips even for FOBs!
I remember thinking in fall 2019 that people are crazy to pay $10,000 for a Bitcoin when it just sold in that spring for like $3,500. Now I wish I was crazy too... It's $62,000 today.

This is not over. The democrats will destroy this country.

Last edited:
When the ammo crunch really got going last year, Sportsman's Guide started allowing members to make pre-orders at guaranteed prices. I ordered 1000 rounds of 62 gr 5.56 PMC Brass for $408 in August of 2020. I received e-mails for months extended the expected delivery date, and started to wonder if it would ever arrive. It finally arrived this weekend at the promised price.

While all of the stores in my area still have strict purchase limits, I'm starting to see popular calibers show up again. The expected delivery date for the 9mm I ordered has been moved to July, but at least I seeing some supply start to trickle back onto store shelves. It's just a glimmer of hope at this point, but that's more than I've had in months. I'm hoping members across the country are starting to see improvement as well.
I think we are. I know it’s easy to say if you got ammo but be patient.

Back