testtest

Got my CCW today..!

There are water tests you can have done on your tap water to test for lead and other contaminates. Usually a kit supplied by local health department and sometimes colleges. Health department should know who to contact in your area if they don't offer the service themselves. A water filtration system may help too. Lead poisoning can be some nasty stuff, can effect the brain. Imitates calcium in body effects bone growth if remember right. Is worse to kids than adults.

On older buildings and lead pipes, generally speaking just service lines are or can be lead or galvanized iron pipe. Water supply plumbing inside older homes around that period were generally galvanized with the exception of some lead drains unless replaced already. Most drains were cast iron. Lead toilet elbows were pretty common though, sometimes lead vent pipes or stacks too. Older copper pipes with joints sweated in place used lead based solder too. Newer solder is lead free. But, you're likely familiar with all that stuff by now? Older homes are a learning experience.
oh god, they sure are.

i learn something new, every time a contractor comes over.

it'll cost me more than the national debt to re-plumb this old house, as it is a 3 family, victorian with a basement that has a sink as well.

oh god, they sure are.

i learn something new, every time a contractor comes over.

it'll cost me more than the national debt to re-plumb this old house, as it is a 3 family, victorian with a basement that has a sink as well.
Thought so. They're interesting to restore. Old wood work was amazing. Fun stuff in some ways. Had one long ago with a stone foundation and cistern for rainwater. Replaced knob and tube wiring hidden in walls and old plumbing. Not fun. Nice high ceilings and tall windows unless they've been lowered. Work on it seemed to never end.

My Doc is a member of the club I belong to. I was advised to always use the club supplied lead wipes at our indoor range which I always did anyway as well as showering at home afterwards, putting the clothes through the washer. I always wear a long sleeved shirt, a cap, and Mechanix Covert Tactical gloves when shooting in addition to my eye and ear protection. I can feel the pressurized ventilation system at our indoor range pulling the air down range. If the wind is a problem outdoors, I wear a mask. Doc includes the lead test in my annual physical blood test. So far, no problems at all.

I will not use indoor ranges for a whole host of reasons but that is just me.

If you are simply enjoying a hobby, i get it. That said, if you purchased a gun primarily for self defense, I will say that not many gunfight are likely to hinge on your being a bulls eye shooter in a linear training stall. Fighting with a gun is arguably very different than eating the center out of a target at your leisure. Still, competence in regards to basic marksmanship is important. Unless this is just pure entertainment, 18month @ 3 times a week seems a little over-done.

Thought so. They're interesting to restore. Old wood work was amazing. Fun stuff in some ways. Had one long ago with a stone foundation and cistern for rainwater. Replaced knob and tube wiring hidden in walls and old plumbing. Not fun. Nice high ceilings and tall windows unless they've been lowered. Work on it seemed to never end.
mine has catch wells (what might be called a cistern or dry well) for rain water, but they are made of brick, and crumbling, so i had them filled in, and the rain gutters, dump the water onto the sidewalks, or driveway.

i also have field stone foundation as well.

my house had no electricity when first built, but instead, had gas lights. i still have much of the gas lines in the basement, easy to see, mounted on the outside of the walls down there.

but when electricity came into vogue, i'm sure it had knobs and tubes, at first.

it has cast iron waste piping

over all, i'd NOT recommend a new home buyer to buy such a house. these are best suited for a group of investors, to restore it to code, and historic restricted neighborhood,s like mine is. i cannoit do ANY outside work to the house, unless it meets thier approval.

so as a result, i ain't gonna do a darned thing outside.....

the next owner, can pay for that BS.

I will not use indoor ranges for a whole host of reasons but that is just me.

If you are simply enjoying a hobby, i get it. That said, if you purchased a gun primarily for self defense, I will say that not many gunfight are likely to hinge on your being a bulls eye shooter in a linear training stall. Fighting with a gun is arguably very different than eating the center out of a target at your leisure. Still, competence in regards to basic marksmanship is important. Unless this is just pure entertainment, 18month @ 3 times a week seems a little over-done.
i have maybe about 3 for either home defense of self defense...the other 19 are for fun.

but ALL get to the range for a workout, just in a rotation, or when it's time to go.

mine has catch wells (what might be called a cistern or dry well) for rain water, but they are made of brick, and crumbling, so i had them filled in, and the rain gutters, dump the water onto the sidewalks, or driveway.

i also have field stone foundation as well.

my house had no electricity when first built, but instead, had gas lights. i still have much of the gas lines in the basement, easy to see, mounted on the outside of the walls down there.

but when electricity came into vogue, i'm sure it had knobs and tubes, at first.

it has cast iron waste piping

over all, i'd NOT recommend a new home buyer to buy such a house. these are best suited for a group of investors, to restore it to code, and historic restricted neighborhood,s like mine is. i cannoit do ANY outside work to the house, unless it meets thier approval.

so as a result, i ain't gonna do a darned thing outside.....

the next owner, can pay for that BS.
Yup, cistern, catch well's the same thing. Was nice thought in some ways for their time, but moisture they contained can/could rot out floors above making them spongy. Used cistern for general storage at 1st, then eventually removed.

Historical efforts can be a royal pain. Stripping and refinishing intricate woodwork is tedious chore when can. Redoing, making ornamental woodwork spindles, rosettes and scalloped and fluted baseboards and casings is an interesting challenge. Had lots of specialized tooling and bits to do work. Can't buy that stuff at local home improvement store or lumberyard either. So learn to make it or make do? Lumber's dimensionally different. Moulding, casing is all wider than today's standards. 2 x4's are true 2x4's for example. All cut down to fit.

New home buyers? Victorians? Nope, heard old Victorians were all the rage at one time. But, in my opinion too, they're not really for the feint of heart or inexperienced home buyer. Can take a different mindset and efforts to make them work maintenance wise. Is labor intensive. Historical efforts can be a royal pain/pita. HOA's? They can add insult to injury? As you stated, very costly to have others do the work and if they're capable too. Miss it, but don't kind of thing?

Yup, cistern, catch well's the same thing. Was nice thought in some ways for their time, but moisture they contained can/could rot out floors above making them spongy. Used cistern for general storage at 1st, then eventually removed.

Historical efforts can be a royal pain. Stripping and refinishing intricate woodwork is tedious chore when can. Redoing, making ornamental woodwork spindles, rosettes and scalloped and fluted baseboards and casings is an interesting challenge. Had lots of specialized tooling and bits to do work. Can't buy that stuff at local home improvement store or lumberyard either. So learn to make it or make do? Lumber's dimensionally different. Moulding, casing is all wider than today's standards. 2 x4's are true 2x4's for example. All cut down to fit.

New home buyers? Victorians? Nope, heard old Victorians were all the rage at one time. But, in my opinion too, they're not really for the feint of heart or inexperienced home buyer. Can take a different mindset and efforts to make them work maintenance wise. Is labor intensive. Historical efforts can be a royal pain/pita. HOA's? They can add insult to injury? As you stated, very costly to have others do the work and if they're capable too. Miss it, but don't kind of thing?
i can assure you that...when the Mrs and i DUMP "This Old House", it'll be like a day in heaven.

or maybe the feeling a boat owner has, when he gets rid of his money pit.

i can assure you that...when the Mrs and i DUMP "This Old House", it'll be like a day in heaven.

or maybe the feeling a boat owner has, when he gets rid of his money pit.
Hah, Know the feeling well and yeah, it could be and hopefully is a bit of heaven for you.
Fortunately and thankfully, there were many good days mixed in there. :)

ok, so i took my Hellcat, and Glock G30 to the range today. since i will trade off one from the other, regarding which one to carry, i needed to run some more hollow points thru each.

i used the IPDA targets for both.

i did not include pics of the G30 IPDA target, but it was good, just not as good as the Hellcat target.

today i had asked if i could "rapid fire", and the reason for this was simple.

in the videos i have been viewing from the USCCA, it is said that "most" attacks happen with in 5 yards (9 feet) of you.

a Mr. Givens (??) complied those stats?

anyway, it was also said that in a confrontation, you ain't gonna shoot once every couple of seconds, you ARE going to rapid fire.

so in the pic i will post, i shot 30 rounds, hollow points, at 5 yards away. i had 3 fliers, and 2, went somewhere down the range.

overall, i did hit the target, as the USCCA trainer said, "you wanna hit that target anywhere, to bring down your assailant.

comments? good or bad, welcomed.

one more thing, now i gotta get used to carrying, right now, it looks like i am "printing" a bit? but i was wearing my ordinary underwear T-shirt, around the house, i did not venture outside with it, until i can get the printing down to zero? is that even possible? for an IWB, at about the appendix location, new S/A 15 rd mag for the Hellcats.

thanks in advance

1625612172479.png

It’s all about the practice, right? You’ll start tightening up that grouping with more practice, but those shots will kill.

As for printing I wear a lot of shirts from 5.11. They are nice looking and are designed for concealed carry and combined with a good holster will easily conceal a full size pistol.

Back