testtest

Gouging

Funwithfuel

Custom
Founding Member
I don't know where else would be more appropriate. I was looking at armslist in my area. There's someone selling a saint edge pistol, asking 2500.00 . I get the whole supply and demand idea. I do. But, why are we gonna profiteer and gouge one another. I see the same thing happening with ammo. We are supposed to watch out for one another,support each other, I thought. It seems some are only out to turn a profit.
Just had to get that off my chest, its been eating at me. Hope you all have a safe independence day

It's capitalism at it's purest. Buy low, sell high when there is a demand. It's no different than playing the stock market, or investing in real estate.

And...I’m gonna say this, and it likely won’t be popular:

That Saint pistol is a luxury item. It's not like charging $20 a gallon for gas when a hurricane is approaching, or $10 a bottle for water.

He/she can do what he wants but are they a dealer? That’s over MSRP of the firearm. Selling for profit and not being a dealer, hmmmm.

He/she can do what he wants but are they a dealer? That’s over MSRP of the firearm. Selling for profit and not being a dealer, hmmmm.
As far as not being a dealer I suppose it depends on what state he lives in, I was surprised in Kentucky you can do a private sale of a rifle. The price total gouging.

There's nothing wrong or illegal with making a profit selling a gun of you’re not a dealer.

It just can’t be your main source of income.

There's nothing wrong or illegal with making a profit selling a gun of you’re not a dealer.

It just can’t be your main source of income.
Well, according to the ATF it is. The whole profit thing is what they have a deal with. I don’t know the guy and it may be his one and only gun. There have been some cases where 2-3 guns were sold for profit and the seller didn’t have a license. It turned into a big deal. They don’t care if it you you main income side job a gig or whatever you want to call it. Making a profit without a license they frown upon.

I’m not splitting hairs, I’ve heard of a couple incidents and did some research again this guy may sell this only one and be done and may have paid that for it I don’t know. I wouldn’t do that anyways, (mark up the price like that) I see what your saying but I know how the alphabet agency is as well.

Well, according to the ATF it is. The whole profit thing is what they have a deal with. I don’t know the guy and it may be his one and only gun. There have been some cases where 2-3 guns were sold for profit and the seller didn’t have a license. It turned into a big deal. They don’t care if it you you main income side job a gig or whatever you want to call it. Making a profit without a license they frown upon.

You might want to check again.

The ATF only cares if you are making a living buying and selling guns.

I'm willing to bet there was a whole lot more to those cases than just selling 2-3 guns...most likely, it was straw purchases.

Because I can guarantee you, the ATF is not going to care a whit if someone who bought a new Colt Python back in the 1990’s when they went for $600 new sells it for the $2500 they can go for today...

Agreed if you have no morals and your taking advantage of a bad situation.
this is where Karma comes in.

That means anyone who sees a shortage of anything coming up, and buys a stockpile in order to capitalize on it, has no morals.

As this is the entire basis of capitalism (buy when plentiful and cheap, sell when scarce and expensive), are you saying that capitalism is inherently immoral?

That means anyone who sees a shortage of anything coming up, and buys a stockpile in order to capitalize on it, has no morals.

As this is the entire basis of capitalism (buy when plentiful and cheap, sell when scarce and expensive), are you saying that capitalism is inherently immoral?
Hans I’m not arguing with you on this, your making valid points. I can still voice my opinion without saying my opinion right? And no I don’t believe capitalism is inherently immoral.

Hans I’m not arguing with you on this, your making valid points. I can still voice my opinion without saying my opinion right? And no I don’t believe capitalism is inherently immoral.

Absolutely you can. We’re just talking, here...and I will admit, I like a nice debate for sport every now & again. No hard feelings, and if I’m causing any...I apologize. Not my intent.

I guess I don’t buy in to the idea that a lot of people have that firearms are “special”...it's an interesting talismanic/animistic view that gets expressed a lot (not saying that you are, or have—just a general comment) in gun forums...just watch people comment when the subject of selling firearms comes up; someone will compare it to selling their children.

Here...I suspect that if it was anything but a gun, people would be perfectly supportive of it (say, if someone was trying to sell gold bars at a 66% markup, when there was suddenly a run on gold).

And I just don’t get that.

You might want to check again.

The ATF only cares if you are making a living buying and selling guns.

I'm willing to bet there was a whole lot more to those cases than just selling 2-3 guns...most likely, it was straw purchases.

Because I can guarantee you, the ATF is not going to care a whit if someone who bought a new Colt Python back in the 1990’s when they went for $600 new sells it for the $2500 they can go for today...
I see what your saying and I like a good conversation as well. It sheds some light. It’s, to me a grey/gray area. If we had a trader section on here and I sold a gun every 2-3 weeks and each one was over MAP/MSRP price, we all know I’d be making a profit and if the ATF was watching the thread, I’m sure I’d peak his interest. Not even if I’m doing it to make a living or not. Yes there are 15 pages plus examples to this but here is one page of “guidance”
5D4C6A84-255B-40E2-9E69-8167BB9A0F64.jpeg

Either way I couldn’t, with a good heart do it and I’d have dunce hat for calling someone out on the insane price.

I see what your saying and I like a good conversation as well. It sheds some light. It’s, to me a grey/gray area. If we had a trader section on here and I sold a gun every 2-3 weeks and each one was over MAP/MSRP price, we all know I’d be making a profit and if the ATF was watching the thread, I’m sure I’d peak his interest. Not even if I’m doing it to make a living or not. Yes there are 15 pages plus examples to this but here is one page of “guidance”View attachment 7766

I think this is getting more into the “intent” part.

If you’re buying guns simply to resell them...yeah, ok, the ATF may get interested if you are doing it a lot...most likely, they’re gonna find out when your name comes up on more than one gun used in crimes (happened here in MN a few years ago, some guy was buying HiPoints by the dozen and turning them over on the street...and got nailed when they ran the S/N's).

But, if you have someone who buys a gun to try it out, decides they do t like it, and sells/trades it and makes $20-50 on it, and does this multiple times...there’s no intent.

Which this might very well be the case.

Or not, who knows what's in the heart of the seller.

Fact is, at the end of the day...you can go on Gunbroker and buy one for MSRP, or slightly less. I can give you the name of a local dealer who had both a victor and edge pistol in the case, right around $16-1700, iirc—at least, they did last Saturday.

I'm willing to bet the seller mentioned in the OP won’t move it at that price...which means capitalism works.

I get what you guys are saying. As I stated, I get supply and demand. My b!tch is, we're gun owners with a common interest. I kinda like to think we're in this together. I'm all for making a buck. A grand over MSRP ?!?! I hope he has to sit on it for quite a while. The problem is, some gullible sap will buy it and encourage this jag-bag to do it again. If I sold a piece, it would be at or around what I paid. I wouldn't try to retire off a single sale. A little over or under what they're selling for is fair. Not claiming to be holier than thou, just don't think screwing your fellow gun owner is right. Whether it's guns, ammo, tools or vehicles, I just don't agree with breaking it off in someone's backside.

Back