testtest

Grip it matters

Lots of small differences within grips. For instance The picture of that revolver grip is not a text book revolver grip to me at a glance Thumbs look way out of place from how most grip a revolver from back in the day. But if he’s hitting go with it. With thumbs forward a well known RDS instructor runs and teaches support thumb almost vertical and it works for him most of his students and he is phenomenally good.

Thumbs forward or revolver grip. it doesn’t matter. Whichever one is most comfortable AND allows the shooter to hit the target with better accuracy. if that isn’t happening then time for a plan B, or C

Lots of small differences within grips. For instance The picture of that revolver grip is not a text book revolver grip to me at a glance Thumbs look way out of place from how most grip a revolver from back in the day. But if he’s hitting go with it. With thumbs forward a well known RDS instructor runs and teaches support thumb almost vertical and it works for him most of his students and he is phenomenally good.

Thumbs forward or revolver grip. it doesn’t matter. Whichever one is most comfortable AND allows the shooter to hit the target with better accuracy. if that isn’t happening then time for a plan B, or C
I know what you are sayin did you try that revolver grip it feels kinda comfortable I going to try next trip can’t hurt

I train one handed and 2 handed grip techniques with a revolver and semi-auto.

For me it's about how much play there is in my wrist(s) when I point the firearm at the target then squeeze off a round.

I'm a big fan of both my palms on the grip in a 2 handed grip because of how the stability it gives my wrists and arms.

I try to focus on a good initial grip with my left hand(I'm a leftie) and my right hand compliments my left and fills in the part of the exposed grip on the right side of the firearm.

Generally speaking I prefer to create the distance and time to have both hands on my firearm. In close quarter situations I will usually reach for my knife before my firearm.

I sometimes practice 1 handed shooting but I practice close range empty hand and knife techniques much more often. In my mind a handgun is not a close range weapon but I still think it's a good idea to train with it for that purpose once in a while.

I have trained my right hand to use a knife and my left hand to handle a handgun. I do sometimes switch sides so that if something happens to one of my limbs I can still use a weapon.

In my opinion there is a significant difference in how a revolver fits in the hand compared to a semi-auto. Putting the "grip" reps with the revolver and or semi-auto you carry is important because fiddling around with a weapon(knife, revolver, semi-auto) leads to big problems under stress. Smooth is fast and fast is smooth.

There's lots of little things you can always work on doing slow reps that make deploying whichever weapon you deploy, much easier, faster, and safer. Establishing a good grip for the revolver or semi-auto you carry is a very important part of a self-defense plan.

With all the knife training I do(both with a closed knife and blade out) my hands seem to handle a handgun easier. I try to restrict my training to only a few knives and a couple of different handguns.

Thanks, javbike..

I am a self-taught revolver shooter. I started with a .22 revolver when I was about 14 or so. The teacup grip was “natural” for two handed shooting, and I was a fair shot. I understand even the military used to teach that grip.

I had never read or heard anything negative about that grip until recently, maybe the last 10 or 15 years or so since there are so many “trainers” around these days. I was probably just ignorant. :)

I don’t use a teacup grip anymore, shooting bigger caliber handguns and being more concerned about follow up shots. But I will say one needs to be real careful with grip when switching between revolvers and semi-autos. Get you thumb past the cylinder gap, and you likely won’t do it again!

I just shoot, don't know if I use the teacup, the shotglass, or the modified beer mug grip. My thumbs might be up, down, forwards or backwards. Never really analyzed it or let a trainer change it. It has worked for me for 50 plus years, no plans on changing.

Yep, I am that grumpy old set in his way guy , at least on this subject.

Good article.
I think the one thing most important for me was consistently getting up high on the beaver tail or upper grip, and of course trigger squeeze vs pulling. Thumbs fall where they may and found every handgun has its own unique form.
Every hand and grip has its limits so ‘fit’ has be considered. But the basic principles have to be followed. There’s an art to finesse.

Confucius say: Man unable to master his hammer, should not hold his nail.

I’ve watched professional house painters hold paint brushes in many different ways to accomplish a particular stroke, I’ve seen people use pens/pencils to write or draw holding the instrument in peculiar manners like between middle and index finger. Then it’s not always the case, it’s just how they learned. They get the job done and that’s what matters. What looks like an old habit, sometimes could just be a matter of comfort and ability.

I just shoot, don't know if I use the teacup, the shotglass, or the modified beer mug grip. My thumbs might be up, down, forwards or backwards. Never really analyzed it or let a trainer change it. It has worked for me for 50 plus years, no plans on changing.

Yep, I am that grumpy old set in his way guy , at least on this subject.
I think this is a valid response. Mechanics and technique are important, but as we’ve seen techniques and styles change and evolve and if what you do gets rounds down range in a fashion that makes you happy then you’re doing it right.

It’s funny how many get wrapped (no pun intended) up about grip. Not everyone is the same. . Back when I was an agency trainer FLETC started this thing where when I would go there to teach had to be thumbs forward period. And I hear a lot of folks skiff at revolver grips today.

I watched a student almost get hurt. He had extremely large hands and shooting an Sig P228 that has a 3.9” barrel. I notice his support thumb is extended to the side but in front of the muzzle. Before I could stop him he let loose. Had some stinging but we had to give him the revolver grip from them on out. He then reverted to the revolver grip on everything.

Thanks, javbike..

I am a self-taught revolver shooter. I started with a .22 revolver when I was about 14 or so. The teacup grip was “natural” for two handed shooting, and I was a fair shot. I understand even the military used to teach that grip.

I had never read or heard anything negative about that grip until recently, maybe the last 10 or 15 years or so since there are so many “trainers” around these days. I was probably just ignorant. :)

I don’t use a teacup grip anymore, shooting bigger caliber handguns and being more concerned about follow up shots. But I will say one needs to be real careful with grip when switching between revolvers and semi-autos. Get you thumb past the cylinder gap, and you likely won’t do it again!
Or with a thumbs forward grip on a revolver, you can get your thumb busted. Don't ask.

As someone that started on revolvers that whole thumbs forward on a revolver is just blasphemy and sacrilegious.

And I pray for their soul!!!
At Mas Ayoob's LFI-II class in 1989, I was shooting a Smith M66 3" with my left thumb wrapped around the back of the gun, as I always had. One of his assistant instructors came by and said to me, "If you ever shoot a semiauto like that, you'll rip your left thumb off."

"Yes, I know," I said. "That's why I don't shoot a semiauto like that." :rolleyes:

Oddly, for many years I shot revolvers with my left index finger riding on the front of the trigger guard, the way many people used to shoot semiautos. I finally for some reason realized that this wasn't the strongest technique, and switched that finger to under the trigger guard--I believe this is called the "Ayoob wedge" grip IIRC. I also usually now shoot revolvers with my right thumb down and my left thumb over top of it, but sometimes still revert to the left-thumb-around-back old way. Doesn't seem to make much difference for me.

I shoot a semiauto both thumbs pointing forward, taking care NOT to touch either the slide nor the slide stop.

At Mas Ayoob's LFI-II class in 1989, I was shooting a Smith M66 3" with my left thumb wrapped around the back of the gun, as I always had. One of his assistant instructors came by and said to me, "If you ever shoot a semiauto like that, you'll rip your left thumb off."

"Yes, I know," I said. "That's why I don't shoot a semiauto like that." :rolleyes:

Oddly, for many years I shot revolvers with my left index finger riding on the front of the trigger guard, the way many people used to shoot semiautos. I finally for some reason realized that this wasn't the strongest technique, and switched that finger to under the trigger guard--I believe this is called the "Ayoob wedge" grip IIRC. I also usually now shoot revolvers with my right thumb down and my left thumb over top of it, but sometimes still revert to the left-thumb-around-back old way. Doesn't seem to make much difference for me.

I shoot a semiauto both thumbs pointing forward, taking care NOT to touch either the slide nor the slide stop.

I’ve actually seen a few folks shoot an auto with crossed thumbs and not have an issue. It’s far enough back. I’m old enough and a mature enough instructor to sort of see and know the difference and have no ego to immediately jump in unless it’s a safety issue OR they aren’t accurate.

I’ve even seen a guy step up and have extremely bent elbows on both arms but he cleans 5 bowling pins and a stop plate in about 3 seconds of less so he’s good LOL

I’ve actually seen a few folks shoot an auto with crossed thumbs and not have an issue. It’s far enough back.
I just tried it with a CZ75 I happen to have at hand, and I can tell you, that wouldn't work for me. Unless I deliberately put my left thumb so far down that I wouldn't get much additional grip out of it.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of the PP/PPK. Even with both thumbs forward, I have to change my "standard grip" (that works on everything else) so much to avoid PP/PPK hammer/slide bite that I don't feel comfortable shooting it. But hey, that's just me. ;)

I just tried it with a CZ75 I happen to have at hand, and I can tell you, that wouldn't work for me. Unless I deliberately put my left thumb so far down that I wouldn't get much additional grip out of it.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of the PP/PPK. Even with both thumbs forward, I have to change my "standard grip" (that works on everything else) so much to avoid PP/PPK hammer/slide bite that I don't feel comfortable shooting it. But hey, that's just me. ;)

That’s the key is having the thumb fat enough back. I couldn’t find an auto example but here is about the only way it could work but not many could pull it off

Attachments

• IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 48
Back