testtest

Gun Control Act of 1968: How It Affects Gun Owners Today

How it affects us today? It makes buying new guns troublesome and expensive. $40 transfer fee? Really?
Plus tax, 7.5%..

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." ~ Tacitus, 56-120 A.D.

“Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.” – Aristotle

here, transfer fee's are at $35.00, and sales tax is at 7%.

but what is galling to me, is that since i have a ccw, my better LGS, sells me the gun, and i leave that same day, like in about 10-15 minutes after walking in.

some other stores, still follow the 8 day waiting period, which of course, i just don't buy my guns from them anymore.

It takes about ten minutes for the counter man to call the feds after I fill out the form. Then he needs anywhere from $30 to $40, they charge whatever they can justify to themselves when they look in the mirror.
We don't have a waiting period in Ohio. We also have virtually no place to shoot except a couple state ranges and whatever club you can join. It used to be anywhere away from houses along the train tracks with a decent backstop.
After 911 they talked of terrorists walking the tracks and (just like that), another little freedom was gone.
You can't bring your dog or a cooler of beer to the park. You can't hunt without being watched. The officers' binoculars give them away out in the brush.

yeah, when the grandkids were younger, i'd take them to the back road of the airport. we'd park at the fence/back gate to the tower, watch the planes take off and land, watch the student pilots practice landing/taking off.

the kids were mesmerized at the size of the jets, of all the airlines.

we'd have cupcakes, juice, and just watch for a couple of hours.

more fun that a 2 hour movie, they loved going there.

9/11 ruined that, cuz the terrorists could also park there.......and storm the gate.

yeah, when the grandkids were younger, i'd take them to the back road of the airport. we'd park at the fence/back gate to the tower, watch the planes take off and land, watch the student pilots practice landing/taking off.

the kids were mesmerized at the size of the jets, of all the airlines.

we'd have cupcakes, juice, and just watch for a couple of hours.

more fun that a 2 hour movie, they loved going there.

9/11 ruined that, cuz the terrorists could also park there.......and storm the gate.

Sounds like a great time was had by all. My family and quite a few others used to do same.
Very sad can no longer bring joy that way.

It's a terrible shame that some of the simple freedoms and joys of life are missing.
Fear, ignorance and incompetence have destroyed many of this country's freedoms over the years.
Way too many in our lifetimes. The big question of the day is why?

Great article, with my last purchase I paid no transfer fee, I suppose since I’ve either done considerable business with this LGS or he doesn’t charge one.
I’ve never been worried with the paperwork regarding a firearm purchase perhaps since I have nothing to worry about. Is it constitutional to require filling out paperwork and have the FFL call the government to get the ok to purchase a gun?? Good question. I would guess the individual that gets denied would say it is.
On the funny side I always chuckle about the question
“Are you a fugitive from justice”
Really how many people would say yes?

Great article, with my last purchase I paid no transfer fee, I suppose since I’ve either done considerable business with this LGS or he doesn’t charge one.
I’ve never been worried with the paperwork regarding a firearm purchase perhaps since I have nothing to worry about. Is it constitutional to require filling out paperwork and have the FFL call the government to get the ok to purchase a gun?? Good question. I would guess the individual that gets denied would say it is.
On the funny side I always chuckle about the question
“Are you a fugitive from justice”
Really how many people would say yes?
Agreed on article, info is good.
But, on denials, I used to feel that way as well. Had no need to be concerned either. But, it isn't quite that simple with BG checks even when nothings changed but the info. Mistakes on them by NICS and FBI or FFL can haunt people when they have and use wrong info and have done nothing wrong to be denied. It isn't fun and can be quite a lengthy process when BG records are wrong. Adding in political differences, virus concerns, likely staff shortages and current firearms hoopla? Garbage in, garbage out may come to mind? Being in "Limbo" paying with others mistakes for what seems like forever may too? Nope, not fun at all. May consider yourself lucky their mistakes haven't become yours out of the blue?

It takes about ten minutes for the counter man to call the feds after I fill out the form. Then he needs anywhere from $30 to $40, they charge whatever they can justify to themselves when they look in the mirror.
We don't have a waiting period in Ohio. We also have virtually no place to shoot except a couple state ranges and whatever club you can join. It used to be anywhere away from houses along the train tracks with a decent backstop.
After 911 they talked of terrorists walking the tracks and (just like that), another little freedom was gone.
You can't bring your dog or a cooler of beer to the park. You can't hunt without being watched. The officers' binoculars give them away out in the brush.
Also in Ohio, if you have a CCW license, most dealers just use that now if it’s after a certain date of issue.

How it affects us today? It makes buying new guns troublesome and expensive. $40 transfer fee? Really?
Plus tax, 7.5%..

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." ~ Tacitus, 56-120 A.D.

“Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.” – Aristotle
I have never paid any transfer fee on a new gun purchase where I live in Ohio, I buy from my local shops, if you order one over the internet and have it shipped to your dealer, yes, you pay the transfer fee, shop has to make something for doing a service for you, if you don’t want to pay it, buy local or have your shop order in want you desire, my shop does with no extra fees, and as for tax, that’s nothing to do with the GCA 1968, that’s state tax

I have never paid any transfer fee on a new gun purchase where I live in Ohio, I buy from my local shops, if you order one over the internet and have it shipped to your dealer, yes, you pay the transfer fee, shop has to make something for doing a service for you, if you don’t want to pay it, buy local or have your shop order in want you desire, my shop does with no extra fees, and as for tax, that’s nothing to do with the GCA 1968, that’s state tax
For me it means a 60 mile round trip, and during the covid they had a long line of people standing out in front waiting to get in. Their prices are full retail, (they sell guns hand over fist, the newbs don't care they just want to get something) and their selection never seems to have what I'm looking for. If they ordered it for me, I'd have to stand in line again when it came in.
I got the Hellcat with a nice discount, free shipping, the only downside was a gouge for the fee, from a smith about 5 miles away.
I began to use an online auction site to buy and sell a couple, and have had good luck with them. I'm about done buying anything but if I do I'll give the real store another try.
:)

Yea, that ticks me off also when a dealer sells for full MSRP here lately, using COVID for there advantage, luckily where I live I have a sheriff deputy who has a gun shop, and he doesn’t gouge anybody on prices, sometimes I wonder how he makes any profit on what he sells.

Yea, that ticks me off also when a dealer sells for full MSRP here lately, using COVID for there advantage, luckily where I live I have a sheriff deputy who has a gun shop, and he doesn’t gouge anybody on prices, sometimes I wonder how he makes any profit on what he sells.
With good prices and service he probably does well on volume. Not to mention he also makes some loyal customers.

Here in Virginia we already have universal background checks. If an individual wants to legally sell a gun to a neighbor they have to go to an FFL to do the background check. Beware, this is a precursor to universal gun registration. For background checks to work the gov't has to know what you own in order to insure that you don't transfer it without doing the background check. And we all know what gun registration leads to.

Here in Virginia we already have universal background checks. If an individual wants to legally sell a gun to a neighbor they have to go to an FFL to do the background check. Beware, this is a precursor to universal gun registration. For background checks to work the gov't has to know what you own in order to insure that you don't transfer it without doing the background check. And we all know what gun registration leads to.

So are all Virginian's firearms registered with the state ? I'm guessing not. Therefore Virginia's universal background check law is unenforceable.

Bassbob you are absolutely correct. Background checks are the camel's nose under the tent. Let's just say a person wanted to sell to gun that they purchased from a private party years ago how would the state ever know. If it's used in a crime how can a trace be useful for a gun that has changed hands several times in the last 50 years or more? There are millions of guns out there for which there is no paperwork. The anti-gun folks know that the current background checks system is flawed, and will eventually call for legislation to mandate gun registration. They sell these ideas as "common sense" and the public buys into the need to regulate all gun sales. It will all lead to one thing, but then I'm preaching to the choir!:)

Back