testtest

Gun Violence Statistics 2024: A Comprehensive Look at the Data

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Report Highlights:
  • The U.S. has more than 82 million lawful firearm owners.
  • 53% of the 21 states with restrictive concealed carry laws have violent crime rates higher than the national average.
  • 55% of states with a violent crime rate below the national average have permitless carry.
  • Between 60,000 and 2.5 million Americans use firearms for self-defense each year.
  • 40% of criminals convicted of crimes while in possession of a firearm were already prohibited from carrying firearms.
  • A 2018 study shows that 68% of those convicted of crimes while in possession of a firearm were already felons.
  • The U.K. and Australia have a higher number of homicides per firearm than the United States.

1711490725601.png

Gun Violence and Legal Gun Owner Statistics​

• There are more than 82,000,000 legal gun owners in America.
  • In 2022, Wyoming had the least firearm-related homicides (17) and more firearms per person than any other state.
  • It is currently estimated that more than 2.5 million Americans use firearms for self-defense each year.
  • States with the highest number of crime guns recovered have varying rates of ownership, meaning that lawful firearm ownership has no correlation to firearm-related crimes.
  • The number of American citizens who support strict gun control has declined since 1992 (56% in 2023 versus 78% in 1990).
  • Of the 28 states with permitless carry, only 10 have violent crimes above the national average.

So all those on here over 50 (I'm 62), think back when we were kids and our dads and uncles all took us hunting, and we were given "the speech" on handling safety with the guns they entrusted to us, and consquences if we didn't follow that. So here are the statistics of school shootings back then:

0%

But it's the guns that are the problem, surely.

So all those on here over 50 (I'm 62), think back when we were kids and our dads and uncles all took us hunting, and we were given "the speech" on handling safety with the guns they entrusted to us, and consquences if we didn't follow that. So here are the statistics of school shootings back then:

0%

Not to mention we all ran around with BB guns on our bikes wearing no helmet.

0%

When I was a kid Dad taught me starting at age 7. As a 12 year old my buddy and I, with our .22’s would walk the three miles into town from his grandpa’s farm. We’d go into the drug store, set the rifles in a corner, have an ice cream soda,go next door to the hardware store and buy another box of shorts (.35 cents, LR’s were expensive at .50 cents🙄), then walk back to the farm. Along the way any beer can, bottle, crow or bluejay became a target of opportunity. When we were back home in our hometown of 10,000 folks we’d often go squirrel or dove hunting on our bikes with a rifle or shotgun across the handlebars as we rode across town to one of our favorite spots-and NOBODY thought anything about it! Every boy I knew had either a .22 or a shotgun (or typically both) or -and you’re right, NONE were ever used to shoot other people. (And yeah,boys got into fights regularly, but it was fistfights only-never saw or heard of anyone using any type weapon.). A very different, and much Better world!

My experiences with first guns went a little deeper. I actually helped feed the family from the time I was about 10-12. Not every day, but when things were a little tight, I'd grab my .22 or my 410 after school and take off into the woods to get supper for daddy, mama, a younger brother (5-6) and a younger sister after she came along. Might be a wild cotton tail or even a marsh rabbit, maybe a few squirrels, or during bird season a few quail or doves. On a rare occasion I might get a nice turkey.

I'm talking about back in about mid-late 1950's out in the country. The very first thing daddy taught me about guns is how to handle them safely and responsibly. No 'ifs, ands, or buts' as daddy would say ... "Son, you mess up with one of these and you're likely to kill somebody. You don't want to live out your life with that." Even though daddy's been gone for a while now, today when I pick up a gun, any gun, I can hear him saying "Son, you don't want to live out your life with that".

Yep, the country has changed pretty significantly since then. Some of it for the better, but a whole lot of it for the worst.

Thank you for the report, Talyn. Interesting statistics.

I, too, have lived long enough to see HUGE changes in how some folks view firearms. I think one of, if not the most, significant driver of the change is the migration of our population away from rural living to more urban life styles. My state’s Game and Fish Commission is making a pretty big push to get younger people more involved with the outdoors, especially shooting (including archery), hunting and fishing. All of us old timers need to support efforts like these. We live n a very different world than most of us grew up in!

Back