testtest

Hammer vs striker

Mil-Spec

Operator
Founding Member

I'm really glad The Armory Life posted this piece as I get asked this question a lot by new shooters. My top pick gun is a 1911 TRP, so you know where I stand on this. But, I have a few XD pistols and like them as well. To be honest, though, I've found that either way works for me as long as I follow all the safety rules. I can shoot my XD just about as well as I do my TRP.

I'm going to hang on this link and send it to everyone that asks me about this, as its really confusing for people first getting into guns.

I prefer the striker variety. Have yet to find a trigger that feels as nice as a good 1911. There seems to be give and take with both options.

While I own a couple striker fired pistols, I prefer the hammer fired variety particularily for EDC. I am not comfortable with a striker fired pistol for appendix or IWB carry.

It all depends on the trigger for me... that first pull is usually pretty stiff but gets real easy after that on most...

Thanks Mil-Spec. It is a good article to pass along to newer shooters trying to figure out what to carry or buy. I prefer a da/sa hammer-fired pistol most days for my carry. I have the XDE .45 and find it easy to conceal and shoot, mainly during the warm seasons. In winter though I have enough layers to carry my Sig P220 Legion .45; wish I could get away with it in the summer as it's all that. I do carry appendix and like Tenbones, just not real comfortable with a striker fired pistol there. I do have an old Taurus OSS/DS .45 that's striker fired and da/sa with a decocker and safety that'd be great if it wasn't so dang big. It's fun to shoot though and since Taurus doesn't make them any longer, I suppose it's a collectible.

Growing up shooting revolvers so trigger pull is something I find pretty easy in striker or hammer fired weapons. And the one thing to know is trigger control is one of the biggest things to effect your shot. Everybody is going to like different ones, just learn to shoot with the one you have and enjoy.

I certainly like the hammer fired variety. Picked up an XDE for that reason. My son leans towards the striker fired though as he doesn't like the initial pull or the fact that you have to take an "extra step" to pull the hammer back to make it easier to fire. Speaking of the XDE, my girls find it much easier to rack than my striker fireds. Springfield advertising the XDE is easier to rack is accurate.

Last edited:
I also have an XDE and really like it. Depending on the situation, you have a choice on how to carry, how you want your first shot, etc. also, I agree that the XDE is much easier to rack. I pretty much like everything about the XDE.

I also have an XDE and really like it. Depending on the situation, you have a choice on how to carry, how you want your first shot, etc. also, I agree that the XDE is much easier to rack. I pretty much like everything about the XDE.
Which XDE do you have? Is it a 9 or a 45, and which size? I'm trying to decide between the 3.3 and the 3.8 (the 4.5 is way too big for carry, I would think).

Which XDE do you have? Is it a 9 or a 45, and which size? I'm trying to decide between the 3.3 and the 3.8 (the 4.5 is way too big for carry, I would think).
I have the 9mm 3.3 inch barrel. I have also attached a Viridian Laser that comes on as soon as it clears the holster. It’s a great gun.

BTW anyone displease with your firearm... be it striker or hammer... I being a nice sweet person... (OK stretch there)

will LET you send them to me... and guarantee they will have a good home!!! HONEST??? :D

I've had a P226 since early 90s. I have yet to find anything that feels as natural and operates as smoothly. I have since bought and sold S&W 4006, SA XD9 and a Ruger GP100. Nothing ever came close. I have small hands so the 226 wasn't actually built for hands like mine, but it feels like it was. The only one that came close was the big ol Ruger.
Hammer fire all the way.

I carry a P 365XL or a Shield .45 the majority of the time (approx 9mo's) but for the couple months I wear jeans it's my EMP 9mm CCC or RO Compact .45

While I own a couple striker fired pistols, I prefer the hammer fired variety particularily for EDC. I am not comfortable with a striker fired pistol for appendix or IWB carry.
I have a XD 9 MOD2 4.0 with extended sights, threaded barrel and grip safety. Bought it for nite stand, silenced duty.

Enjoyed shooting it so much that it became my daily IWB, appendix carry, due to dual safety feature.

I think you will like the 3.3",Fred. It is a great gun. A couple of weeks ago, I read about a Sheriff in Georgia who was at a Walmart store, and somehow his striker fired Glock backup gun he was carrying in his waistband went off accidentally. I suppose it could happen with an XDe, but it would be a lot more difficult to accomplish in my thinking.

Back