testtest

Handgun Break-In, Is It Needed?

My definition of "wet", is lubed correctly, not completely dry. ;)
My definition of wet is ... oh wait.. firearms.. think firearms ...
5E43E913-542B-4C2A-BFF8-C76B966D4B15.jpeg

For what it worth... In My Humble Opinion
I have been listening to people including my father talk about what pistol I should buy and why. Weapons such as the Kahr CM40. I own and after 7 years of ownership 2 broken mag followers, the gun still can not make a consistent group. The Taurus G2C, the Ruger LCP2. Both of these are sub $300 guns. My point here is: if you want something that sits on a shelf, then gets used and abused when you decide to carry it, and all you want is for the gun to go "bang" in the general direction of a threat then this is the gun for you.
A "break-in" period is you learning your weapon. The first time on the range with the weapon you have chosen as an extension of you to aid in the protection of those you love then self. Getcha one of these... nuff said.

Attachments

• 20200324_231324.jpg
    20200324_231324.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 267
I clean my EDC after every range visit, and in times like now when I'm limiting my range time (i.e. ammo consumption) I still give it a field-strip and a wipe-down once every couple weeks, just to get clothing lint off everything.

Cleaning, everything gets a scrub till residue is gone. Trigger parts get a dry brushing to remove dust, but no oils that would attract junk. Then it all gets wiped clean. Then I use an oil-damp cloth to wipe everything - barrel, slide interior, and slide rails - so there's a thin layer to help fight off corrosion. Then, each slide rail on the frame (XDs - 2 rail sections on each side of the frame) gets a single needle-drop of oil. I reassemble, and rack the slide a few times on and off the slide latch. Load, and holster for carry.

I haven't found "dirt" in the recoil spring yet, but if I do it'll get a dry-brushing with an old toothbrush. I never oil the spring because all it'll do is accumulate crap.

I probably have 1,000-1,500 rounds through it so far. Zero FTFs.

Personally, I think you need to run a few boxes of ammo through any firearm you purchase, to know it works and is reliable, before carrying it or even just keeping it at home for home defense. All the firearms I've purchased, I break them down, clean and lube per the manual, then run at least 4-5 boxes of ammo through it, then clean again. And if its a firearm for EDC, then go regularly and dump 4 to 6 boxes of ammo down the range.

I think the 500 rounds is less about the firearm and more about you getting used to the firearm.

Sadly, all the folks who have made the run on ammo and guns likely cannot get ammo for practice, which is really bad with many of them being first time firearm owners. And to make matters worse, they left ME no ammo! I've only got two boxes of 9mm range ammo as last time I was shooting (3-4 weeks ago), I put about 400 rounds of 9mm down range, and didn't bother to stock up on my way out, as they "always" have 9mm, right?

Thankfully, I do have a stockpile of about 3500 rounds of 22LR, 1000 rounds of .38, 1000 rounds of 380acp, and 125 12 gauge shotgun shells. And I think you can still buy most of that stuff, so I guess any shooting in the near future will be in those calibers. I've got several magazines of 124 grain +P carry ammo for my XDM, so am not too worried. Just no 9mm practice for a while.

Back