testtest

Happy lawn mowing day

Sld1959

Hellcat
It repeats over and over again until you want to leap off a clock tower lol. Can you guess what my main summer chore as a kid was? With 3 acres of grass and only a push mower I learned to hate mowing lol.
3783.jpg

I earned a lot of money mowing lawns and cutting grass, one of my favorite jobs was cutting all of the grass at a country club golf course in Indiana. My buddy and I decided to tighten the fairways making them narrower and lengthen the grass in the rough for the club championship tournament, the course was beautiful and some of the players were irate because the course was so much tougher than it normally was... they wanted to lynch both of us.

I earned a lot of money mowing lawns and cutting grass, one of my favorite jobs was cutting all of the grass at a country club golf course in Indiana. My buddy and I decided to tighten the fairways making them narrower and lengthen the grass in the rough for the club championship tournament, the course was beautiful and some of the players were irate because the course was so much tougher than it normally was... they wanted to lynch both of us.
Started mowing around 7 or 8 and did it for years. My summer job for a couple years before I strarted driving and working in a hardware store, outside of cutting grass for dad for free, was shoveling sand into trucks at a sand pit. Much preferred that to any more mowing lol. Plus by the time I got in high school I had the body of a power lifter, no freshman kill day for me lol. Matter of fact the one upper classmates that tried drank toilet water.

Last edited:
when i did some improvements to my yard, i had ALL the grass plowed out and blacktop, and concrete laid down..

i swore off mowing

now, come winter, i got so much snow to remove....

i'mma gonna have my yard dug up again, and lay down heating pipes to melt all that freaking snow........

of course now, i have to hit the lott-ree first.

Lived in an apartment as a kid. Every now and then the spinster landlady would grab me and offer up 25¢ to cut a small patch of grass in the garden with the hand pusher, maybe 10’x15’.
I was barely tall enough to look over the handle and the grass was always 8” tall before she’d ask to have it cut. I just remember pushing an inch or two at a time, grass getting clogged and jamming the blades, and then have to rake up the trimmings. What a way to spend an afternoon…oh and the blisters the next day.
Learned to lightly creep down the stairs and be scarce after that.

Thank goodness for John Deere!
View attachment 40863
I have 2 sons, one is like me and can fix anything with an engine. The other knows how to put gas and oil in one. That other one had a '95 Snapper Hydrostatic Gear Drive lawn tractor that his wife's father gave to him. He used it for a couple of years and asked me how to get rid of it because he bought another one. I asked him what was wrong and he said everytime he started it that it was smoking and it was burning gas like crazy. I took it off his hands. I looked it over and found that the needle valve in the carb wasn't sealing. When it was shut off whatever gas was in the tank would then leak and fill the carb and then overflow into the cylinder and evertually into the crankcase. I bought and installed a new needle and seat I bought for $10 have been using it ever since. Just last week I had to do my first repairs since then, I had to replaced the mower deck belt that was stretched out and slipping like crazy. BTW: I got it in 2016

Back