testtest

Hard Cast Bullets Through A Glock?

If you didn't notice @BlackMetal1991 paraphrased that Buffalo bore article.
Either way the hot gasses behind that bullet are hot enough to melt the hardcast somewhat. If it's gas checked maybe it will not be a problem.
The reality of the situation is it's your gun do what you want.
The cost between "hardcast" and copper projectiles is negligible so I choose jacketed.

Either way the hot gasses behind that bullet are hot enough to melt the hardcast somewhat. If it's gas checked maybe it will not be a problem.
The cost between "hardcast" and copper projectiles is negligible so I choose jacketed.
I did
I was just posting from the manufacturer of some top hard cast rounds.

Let each person decide what will work or not work based on their firearm’s tech specs.

Some can use it, some cannot.

I respect that outlook on the topic! I’ve used many of the Hardcast rounds through my gun and tried hard to find any type of fouling but couldn’t even after consecutive mags. But idk about the cast bullet getting melted I’ve never heard of that before. Everyone is different and some prefer a certain round over the other and that’s alright.

The cost between "hardcast" and copper projectiles is negligible so I choose jacketed. I did some research trying to find isssues about cast bullets “melting due to the hot gasses” but not a single thing so idk. I honestly don’t like buffalo bores Hardcast round it’s a very smoky round due to the way the lube the bullet that’s why I use underwood’s Hardcast loads, they perform better and are FAR less Smokey and it’s coated.

I respect that outlook on the topic! I’ve used many of the Hardcast rounds through my gun and tried hard to find any type of fouling but couldn’t even after consecutive mags. But idk about the cast bullet getting melted I’ve never heard of that before. Everyone is different and some prefer a certain round over the other and that’s alright.
Here's my reason for that thought of the possibility of a melt. If you've ever seen a super slow motion of a gun shot, then you've seen fouling and gases burst out of the bore micro-seconds before the bullet exits. One most consider that as those super hot expanding gases are getting past the bullet then you must consider it like a plasma jet and something must give. With that mentality then it is known that those same gases also have eroded bore steel and it's a heck of a lot harder and melts at a much higher temp than either lead or hardcast.

That is fact.

Look I don't care how you treat or what you shoot out of your firearm, what we cannot do is make a blanket safety announcement that it is completely safe. Glock and others (HK)who use polygonal rifling have very high paid laboratory personnel who have I'm sure done their due diligence and they have stated it's not a good idea, we must respect that.

I'm sure most of us here have driven way too fast on way too wet of roads with substandard tread. I'll raise my hand been there done it, but I'm not about to look at my child and tell them that it's absolutely safe to do so because I've done it that's ludicrous!

Here's my reason for that thought of the possibility of a melt. If you've ever seen a super slow motion of a gun shot, then you've seen fouling and gases burst out of the bore micro-seconds before the bullet exits. One most consider that as those super hot expanding gases are getting past the bullet then you must consider it like a plasma jet and something must give. With that mentality then it is known that those same gases also have eroded bore steel and it's a heck of a lot harder and melts at a much higher temp than either lead or hardcast.

That is fact.

Look I don't care how you treat or what you shoot out of your firearm, what we cannot do is make a blanket safety announcement that it is completely safe. Glock and others (HK)who use polygonal rifling have very high paid laboratory personnel who have I'm sure done their due diligence and they have stated it's not a good idea, we must respect that.

I'm sure most of us here have driven way too fast on way too wet of roads with substandard tread. I'll raise my hand been there done it, but I'm not about to look at my child and tell them that it's absolutely safe to do so because I've done it that's ludicrous!
Lol for one you should look into HK’s polygonal rifling compared to Glocks it shows you really haven’t done a lot of research! And I have certainly seen slow mo bullets exiting the barrel and it’s not fouling coming out of the barrel but residual

That is fact.

You clearly don’t know that HK’s polygonal are quite different from Glock who firearm which in fact doesn’t represent a true polygonal barrel lol. I have certainly seen bullets fried in slow motion the and it’s unburnt power exiting the barrel along with smoke. So you’re certainly confused when you said it’s Fouling from the bullet itself as it leaves the barrel, I’ve done my research you clearly haven’t so idk what else to tell ya.

Lol for one you should look into HK’s polygonal rifling compared to Glocks it shows you really haven’t done a lot of research! And I have certainly seen slow mo bullets exiting the barrel and it’s not fouling coming out of the barrel but residual

You clearly don’t know that HK’s polygonal are quite different from Glock who firearm which in fact doesn’t represent a true polygonal barrel lol. I have certainly seen bullets fried in slow motion the and it’s unburnt power exiting the barrel along with smoke. So you’re certainly confused when you said it’s Fouling from the bullet itself as it leaves the barrel, I’ve done my research you clearly haven’t so idk what else to tell ya.
Bullets do foul but it’s unburnt powder with the gases which you understand leaving the barrel

and just so we are clear I’m not in any way saying the barrel won’t experience copper fouling lines in the barrel that honestly plays a part in the High Brunel hardness of copper with is at 31 compared to 21 for Hardcast therefore it’s more a brittle metal compared to 21 hardness Hardcast rounds which infects won’t foul since they are also coated so Hardcast is actually easier on the barrel not to soft and to hard.

Not until my mother got plastic hips that I decided a plastic gun was OK.
I been a cast bullet maker and shooter since the mid70s. Wheelweights were my alloy.
In the spring of 94 I bought a glock 22. The beginning of my near exclusive use of cast bullets in Glocks.
Next came a 23, then a 21, 35, 26, and my last Glock a 37. They were all fed a diet of mostly my homemade cast bullets.
No problems yet.
My last handgun purchase was a new SA-35. So far is an exclusive cast bullet shooter.
I also noticed that Glock barrels are a lot easier to clean because they don't have sharp edges on the grooves in the barrel.

Last edited:
Not until my mother got plastic hips that I decided a plastic gun was OK.
I been a cast bullet maker and shooter since the mid70s. Wheelweights were my alloy.
In the spring of 94 I bought a glock 22. The beginning of my near exclusive use of cast bullets in Glocks.
Next came a 23, then a 21, 35, 26, and my last Glock a 37. They were all fed a diet of mostly my homemade cast bullets.
No problems yet.
My last handgun purchase was a new SA-35. So far is an exclusive cast bullet shooter.
I also noticed that Glock barrels are a lot easier to clean because they don't have sharp edges on the grooves in the barrel.
Do you think it’s better to make you’re own cast bullets or to buy them from a reputable manufacturer? I honestly wouldn be worried if I started making cast bullets that I’d get it wrong and mess something up.

Back