testtest

Head space question

I guess I must have posted this question in the wrong venue on facebook, so I hope I'm in the correct location now. I have inherited 3 different AR15s from a friend who is no longer with us, and I promised him that I would help his wife sell the guns to help his disabled son, but I don't feel comfortable passing these weapons on to someone else without having checked and fired them just to make sure they are safe.

I am not a gunsmith, but I do know my way around guns, and have basic tools to check things like headspace. Which I have done on all three of the ARs. One of them has a short headspace where the bolt will not close on a go gauge. I have removed the ejector from the bolt to run the test and cleaned the bolt face. It's not the bolt, as it will close and lock on both the other guns using the go gauge, and their bolts will not close on the subject gun.

When I load ammo for my 5.56, I anneal, and only set the shoulder of the case back just enough to fit in my personal AR's chamber, which does pass the headspace gauge check. When I insert these loaded rounds into the subject chamber with the short headspace indication, the bolt will close and lock just as my personal AR bolt will do.

My thinking is that if the subject gun has a short headspace, it should not let the bolt close on a round that is sized to properly fit in a good headspaced chamber. Is there a flaw in my logic?

Back