testtest

HEAT Listed

BobM

Hellcat
A interesting article about a Chicago police algorithm named HEAT used to detect criminal activity with varying and sometimes unpredictable results and concerns. The pro's and con's of the predictability system, the possible misuse and implementation of the system when lack of good foresight isn't used along with it is also covered. Seems like the HEAT system may be misunderstood and misapplied by some people by the harm and damage the system can cause when applied and used incorrectly?

Chicago isn't even in the top 10.

Good article, Thanks Bob (y)(y)
If can find right app, can scan many cameras. Can be pretty interesting seeing traffic flow and people out cruising.

While I think that this " Predictive" policing policy is/was likely unconstitutional and I completely understand the POV of the subject in the article and sympathize with him, I have to wonder if we as a nation are ever going to address the elephant in the room.

" By the 1990s, the neighborhood’s residents were more than 90 percent Black, and many of its blocks were stunted by abandonment and blight."

All you have to do is follow the money.
If someone is living off welfare, or does not have a white collar job, lives and hangs out in areas that are prone to criminal activity, yet drives around in a 50,000 dollar ride and has another parked in the drive for his wife/gf, something does not fit.
One thing movies are correct about, after robbing a bank, you can't go spending large amounts. So what gain is there if criminal activity gets you a bunch of money, but you can't spend it??
They act like stopping criminal activity is rocket science and it isn't.

All you have to do is follow the money.
If someone is living off welfare, or does not have a white collar job, lives and hangs out in areas that are prone to criminal activity, yet drives around in a 50,000 dollar ride and has another parked in the drive for his wife/gf, something does not fit.
One thing movies are correct about, after robbing a bank, you can't go spending large amounts. So what gain is there if criminal activity gets you a bunch of money, but you can't spend it??
They act like stopping criminal activity is rocket science and it isn't.
There is no way to respond to that statement without crossing lines. Racial stereotypes, unions, politics. We'll all be kicked off by the end of the day.

There is no way to respond to that statement without crossing lines. Racial stereotypes, unions, politics. We'll all be kicked off by the end of the day.
The truth is that way sometimes.
It is common sense that people living in government housing or **** holes can not afford a brand new beamer or caddy, like doctors and lawyers drive. IF THEY CAN, either they are into extra curricular activities or welfare pays far far to much. In either case it should not be happening.
You can call it profiling all you want, but it does not matter, man, woman, black, white, purple or red, gay, straight, the fact is somehow the system is being cheated, because everyone playing by the rules proves it.

The truth is that way sometimes.
It is common sense that people living in government housing or **** holes can not afford a brand new beamer or caddy, like doctors and lawyers drive. IF THEY CAN, either they are into extra curricular activities or welfare pays far far to much. In either case it should not be happening.
You can call it profiling all you want, but it does not matter, man, woman, black, white, purple or red, gay, straight, the fact is somehow the system is being cheated, because everyone playing by the rules proves it.
Sometimes the truth is surprising? Yup, it is.
Have known a few people from either side of the tracks....on the fancy cars? A few people may be surprised at how many people who may own the same vehicle at the same time? Where there's a will, there's a way? Have seen where 10 guys or different families chipped in together to buy one vehicle. Better than a taxi? Same thing with homes. Stuff happens to get by. Only in America?

Sometimes the truth is surprising? Yup, it is.
Have known a few people from either side of the tracks....on the fancy cars? A few people may be surprised at how many people who may own the same vehicle at the same time? Where there's a will, there's a way? Have seen where 10 guys or different families chipped in together to buy one vehicle. Better than a taxi? Same thing with homes. Stuff happens to get by. Only in America?
And if 10 of them are living in 1 house and have 1 car, well that is an explanation.
I think if 10 of them are living in 1 house and they are scamming the welfare system however, that is BS and needs to stop. It would not take much research to figure out 10 people are all living together and have one car.
The fact is, people are not that smart. A guy on FB posting pics of cash, guns, new car, vacations, big screens and whatever else they like to brag about owning that basically says they should have a job making 90,000 a year, but with a quick check do not, should raise some red flags.
I know a couple of guys who were single, worked 80 hour weeks, made good money, lived rather "poor" and went in to buy new vehicles and paid cash. The law showed up for one and the other they called the law and they said "yeah I know him, it is all good". So you can not even work and save cash in your home and go buy a new car/truck with cash and not raise red flags. Doing nothing wrong and everything right. So don't tell me it is that hard to follow the money.

And if 10 of them are living in 1 house and have 1 car, well that is an explanation.
I think if 10 of them are living in 1 house and they are scamming the welfare system however, that is BS and needs to stop. It would not take much research to figure out 10 people are all living together and have one car.
The fact is, people are not that smart. A guy on FB posting pics of cash, guns, new car, vacations, big screens and whatever else they like to brag about owning that basically says they should have a job making 90,000 a year, but with a quick check do not, should raise some red flags.
I know a couple of guys who were single, worked 80 hour weeks, made good money, lived rather "poor" and went in to buy new vehicles and paid cash. The law showed up for one and the other they called the law and they said "yeah I know him, it is all good". So you can not even work and save cash in your home and go buy a new car/truck with cash and not raise red flags. Doing nothing wrong and everything right. So don't tell me it is that hard to follow the money.
Generally anything over $10,000 raises flags

Back