testtest

Hellcat as new EDC?

John P

Alpha
Hello all,

Fairly new to the forum, but would really like your advice on a new EDC pistol.

My current EDC is XDs 9mm, and so far, it's working out very well, as I like the 3.3 barrel length and grip feel as I carry with the 8 round mag and like the fuller grip feel.

I'm looking for a pistol with higher ammo capacity for EDC. I live in Florida, so I need to keep size and ease of concealment in mind for EDC.

I have tested the Hellcat at my local range, but the grip and recoil seem to make it more difficult to shoot (at least for me). Does anyone know if Springfield intends to release models of the Hellcat in X or XL like Sig did with the 365 to provide more options for EDC choices? Or, are there any other options I should consider? Love Springfield pistols, though.

Sorry for the rambling post, but i really value your feedback.

Your XDs is a fine weapon, the Hellcat is similar in size to it, I have the OSP FDE version of the Hellcat, recoil is a little sharp, but very manageable. As for higher round count, Springfield has released 15 round mags for it, so you would get a little better grip on the pistol with the larger magazine, as for them doing an X XL one, I couldn't say yay or nay there. Welcome to the forum .

Your XDs is a fine weapon, the Hellcat is similar in size to it, I have the OSP FDE version of the Hellcat, recoil is a little sharp, but very manageable. As for higher round count, Springfield has released 15 round mags for it, so you would get a little better grip on the pistol with the larger magazine, as for them doing an X XL one, I couldn't say yay or nay there. Welcome to the forum .
Was thinking in same lines....
15 round Hellcat mag makes a big difference on grip. Fit is much better.

I love the Hellcat and even bought a 13 and 15 round mag. More ammo is good, but it prints more in the 4;00 (pm) position.

I went back to the factory mags. From everything I have read, few people go through entire magazines for defense purposes. I guess the key is "few" I would not want to be one of the few.

Purchased 2 of the new 15 round mags for my Hellcat OSP with Shield RMSc. The quarter inch increase in mag size made it a lot easier and faster for my XL hands to achieve a proper grip without printing whether I'm using my pocket holster, IWB, or OWB with a cover garment. Shot about 200 rounds for break-in with no failures and now carried daily. Highly recommended for those with XL hands.

Hello all,

Fairly new to the forum, but would really like your advice on a new EDC pistol.

My current EDC is XDs 9mm, and so far, it's working out very well, as I like the 3.3 barrel length and grip feel as I carry with the 8 round mag and like the fuller grip feel.

I'm looking for a pistol with higher ammo capacity for EDC. I live in Florida, so I need to keep size and ease of concealment in mind for EDC.

I have tested the Hellcat at my local range, but the grip and recoil seem to make it more difficult to shoot (at least for me). Does anyone know if Springfield intends to release models of the Hellcat in X or XL like Sig did with the 365 to provide more options for EDC choices? Or, are there any other options I should consider? Love Springfield pistols, though.

Sorry for the rambling post, but i really value your feedback.
Welcome to the forum John P.! You'll find lots of good info here from shooters far more experienced than myself. I neglected to mention in my previous post that a Maglula Uplula is recommended for loading the new 15 round Hellcat mags as they are tight. With regard to recoil, there are now several major ammo manufacturers making very effective subsonic 9mm rounds for most self defense distances. Good luck in your search!

Welcome to the forum John P. As everyone is saying on the Hell Cat try ther 13 & 15 round Magazines. But Also you talked about recoil , You need to consider the new Hell Cat RDP with muzzle compensator . This really helps with recoil and getting back on target . I have two Hell Cats FDE OSP And the RDP . I love them both for everyday carry .

i EDC a Hellcat, with the new 15 rd mag. i practice with it at least once per month, i keep it clean and lubed.

i find that the 15 rd mag gives me a greater grip. i also find that for my small hands, the recoil is not that bad. i just make sure that my arm is straight and my elbow is locked. kinda hard to describe, i think there are some videos on what i am saying.

Like the OP, the XDS Mod.2 with the 8-round magazine feels like my ideal grip size for concealed carry. I purchased a Hellcat, but found that the wider, flatter grip of the XDS printed less and carried more comfortably than the more angular Hellcat. Everyone loves the idea of higher capacity, but I don't consider 8+1 to be too low of a capacity. I shoot the XDS well, so I feel confident that 9 well-placed shots should be able to end almost any threat that I am likely to encounter.

I sympathize with the OP because my favorite XDS is the .45 ACP Mod.2. Excellent gun, but the 5+1 flush mag is a dealbreaker. The extended 6+1 is a little better, but I can't bring myself to carry it over the 8+1 9mm XDS. I prefer the XDS line to the Hellcat, and would love to see the XDS models get the stack-&-a-half treatment like the Shield Plus.

Like the OP, the XDS Mod.2 with the 8-round magazine feels like my ideal grip size for concealed carry. I purchased a Hellcat, but found that the wider, flatter grip of the XDS printed less and carried more comfortably than the more angular Hellcat. Everyone loves the idea of higher capacity, but I don't consider 8+1 to be too low of a capacity. I shoot the XDS well, so I feel confident that 9 well-placed shots should be able to end almost any threat that I am likely to encounter.
I agree on the 8+1 not to be low capacity, since my surgery I can’t wear jeans or belt yet, so I picked up a original Ruger LCP to carry in my sweats pocket, it’s only 6+1, but like you said well placed shots should get the job done.

Back