testtest

Hellcat grip is shredding my shirts

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
This kinda sucks.

Been carrying an XD-s Mod.1 (waffle grip) for years with no issues. Same holster, just new kydex to fit the Hellcat.

My shirts, where I carry (3:00), are shredding from the inside-out, after only about a month with the Hellcat. Pulling, pilling, puckering, and just looking like crap (which, in addition to being bad for the shirts, is bad for concealment!).

I wear slacks and 'dress' shirts for work. I stick to the flat-tail 'untucked' style, so I can wear them out. Part clothing choice (I'm 6'4" and shirts are always short on me), part EDC access. But, they're just coming apart due to the adaptive grip texture. The truly suck-part is...I LOVE the grip texture for shooting - but it looks like now I have to cover it with something, to keep my shirts from getting totally shredded.

Dammit.

This kinda sucks.

Been carrying an XD-s Mod.1 (waffle grip) for years with no issues. Same holster, just new kydex to fit the Hellcat.

My shirts, where I carry (3:00), are shredding from the inside-out, after only about a month with the Hellcat. Pulling, pilling, puckering, and just looking like crap (which, in addition to being bad for the shirts, is bad for concealment!).

I wear slacks and 'dress' shirts for work. I stick to the flat-tail 'untucked' style, so I can wear them out. Part clothing choice (I'm 6'4" and shirts are always short on me), part EDC access. But, they're just coming apart due to the adaptive grip texture. The truly suck-part is...I LOVE the grip texture for shooting - but it looks like now I have to cover it with something, to keep my shirts from getting totally shredded.

Dammit.

I had a similar issue with my M&P Shield 2.0 .45 ACP. The main problem was the aggressive stipling on the grip rubbed my side raw. I solved it with some 800 grip sandpaper and a light touch. Also wearing a wife beater, tucked into my drawers, under whatever shirt I wear. The wife beater fix won't work to save your shirt though. You could get one of those rubber hand grips they sell.

Yeah, it's fine on my skin (warm weather) and fine on my undershirts (naturally) - it only shreads my top shirts. And, it's not just one style of shirt - it's getting them all, regardless of brand.

I'm gonna have to put a rubber wrap on it. Sucks, because I love shooting with the stock grip...

Maybe a gentle melt from a heat gun to soften edges? Theoretically it would maintain grip but soften the texture.
You could also reinforce the shirts with heat activated cloth tape and some nylon ribbon.

I'm having the same issue - love the hellcat's texture in the hand but it's very hard on the side when carried. I've been thinking about putting some rubber talon grips on to cover it up.

Have you tried using a kydex holster with a modwing? Yes they're primarily for AIWB carry, but they twist the pistol grip in towards your body. Which may be just enough clearance to stop shredding your outer shirt.

Back