testtest

Hellcat hard to rack?

Grumps

Operator
I'm new to hand guns, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I was able to find a hellcat this weekend, and it's not hard for me to rack, but my wife and daughter both have trouble.
Is the fact that the gun is new have anything to do with how hard it is to rack, or is this just not the gun for them?

My ex-wife can't rack the slide of any regular pistol . She has artheritis in her left thumb and can't stand to put the pressure required to rack a slide with it. She tried the S&W Shield EZ in 9mm and loves it.

If they still can't rack the slide after it has limbered up , you might look into the Shield EZ for them.

There are different ways to manipulate the slide . If you haven't done so , you might research the ways and find a way for them to be able to rack the slide. Some people , including men , have hand strength issues and simply can't rack a normal pistol slide. That's who the Shield EZ was made for.

I would like to see Springfield come out with their own version. There is a need for these types of firearms .

I would suggest an improved slingshot method with all five fingers on the slide, if possible. This method actively involves the thumb and pad of the hand. I believe this is a stronger and more natural way of manipulating the slide.

I don't have it home yet (7 day wait), but the Hellcat I bought on Saturday doesn't feel any stiffer than my XD-s, at least it didn't when I was fondling it waiting for the paperwork to go through at the LGS...

I do have the habit of gripping with my strong hand. Point the gun across my torso and down. Support hand goes on top of the slide, coming from the opposite direction, most of the pressure is on the base of my thumb. I push my hands towards each other to rack the slide. I can "pinch-pull" with my support hand, on my XDs, if needed with the gun pointed away from me and my support hand pulling towards the back, but I generally do the push method. Not really sure why...it's just the way I do it.

I don't have it home yet (7 day wait), but the Hellcat I bought on Saturday doesn't feel any stiffer than my XD-s, at least it didn't when I was fondling it waiting for the paperwork to go through at the LGS...

I do have the habit of gripping with my strong hand. Point the gun across my torso and down. Support hand goes on top of the slide, coming from the opposite direction, most of the pressure is on the base of my thumb. I push my hands towards each other to rack the slide. I can "pinch-pull" with my support hand, on my XDs, if needed with the gun pointed away from me and my support hand pulling towards the back, but I generally do the push method. Not really sure why...it's just the way I do it.
I do the same most of the time.

There's the "push-pull" method.

Grip the slide with one hand and pull back while you push forward with the hand that's holding the pistol.

The Hellcat slide is slightly harder to rack since it's sprung to handle the 9mm rd. in its small slide size/weight.

Last edited:
Back