testtest

Hellcat optics Yeah or Nay?

I like to use the K.I.S.S. approach to concealed carry and just can't get into optics. All of my training has been with iron sights, and I prefer to keep everything consistent with my training and carry regimen. I would also prefer not to rely on anything that runs on batteries in crucial situations if at all possible. I would never dream of trying to argue with an accomplished pro about the advantages of optics, but I just feel that iron sights are what works best for me.

I like to use the K.I.S.S. approach to concealed carry and just can't get into optics. All of my training has been with iron sights, and I prefer to keep everything consistent with my training and carry regimen. I would also prefer not to rely on anything that runs on batteries in crucial situations if at all possible. I would never dream of trying to argue with an accomplished pro about the advantages of optics, but I just feel that iron sights are what works best for me.
I totally get it. I'm kind of the same way in that the bulk of the rounds I have fired through Hellcats now has been with optical sights so I feel very well served by that model. Also there is a learning process to be able to use optics. It isn't just a throw it on and all is swell kind of thing. I am willing to put up with the practice that is required and have gained great faith in the system after much use. But It is an individual decision. That I can reliably make 25 yard headshots with the optic and no vision correction gives me greater faith in the optical sight for carry. While I doubt that would ever be needed I take great comfort knowing I can. This setup is now replacing my much loved 1st gen 4" XDs. I have still never seen a malfunction from a Hellcat and the accuracy is insane for so small a pistol. Either with or without optics if you can get the performance you need then you are well armed.

I've had the Shield RMSc 4 MOA on my Hellcat for about a month, training with it at least twice a week. It does require a slightly different approach than lasers which I have on both my M&P's. I have no problems with the iron sights out to 15 yards, but the optic expands my quick target acquisition and better accuracy out to 25 yards and, if the optic should fail, I still have a complete view of my irons. As to concealment, I see no difference or problems there as the optic is small enough not to matter with a good holster.

So I took the 100 dollar experiment and bought a Viridian Weapon Technologies Essential Red Laser at Optics planet and along with my Swampfox Sentinal im going to try them both on the range just to see what I like , dont like about them. I have a TRL-6 on my Sig P938 with Night Fision night sites that are really nice and with the laser is a nice fit.

As we know the Hellcat has a great Night site on the front site. so ill see what works better for me

Bottom line is I really like both the red dot and laser and still like those iron sites as im very accurate but that maybe more my career training at holding cameras for over 40 years . I am rock solid at that and it helps immensely here shooting firearms . The real bottom line im having fun with this and going through all this Covid crap its keeping me busy. LOL

Late to the party, but here is my take on it. Smaller guns that I carry all get an optic now. I can shoot them way more accurately and I don't need my Rx shooting glasses to do so. I can wear my normal contacts and feel confident on making a headshot out to 25 yards. I can not confidently do that with irons on small guns. Once the gun gets bigger, I'm totally fine with irons. On the bigger guns, I can shoot just as accurate with irons or an optic, but I'm much faster with an optic and can still maintain that level of accuracy.

So to sum it up, small guns I always put a dot on it if possible. Bigger guns I can go either way and be fine.

Back