testtest

Hellcat OSP mount for Holosun 407k

I am still waiting for my Holosun 407K to be delivered. But I do know about the required optics cut, as I have had my S&W Shield custom milled for the Holosun 407k, so I can compare that optics cut with the one on my Hellcat OSP. The Holosun 407k/507k use the Shield RMSc footprint with the exception of the rear locating lugs. Those must be removed. The front lugs are in the same location, but are slightly shorter on the 407K optics cut. So the front lugs on the Hellcat must be shortened slightly as well. You do not need to have a new optics cut milled into a Hellcat to run the Holosun K series micro red dots. You need to remove two locating lugs and shorten two others. Check with Maple Leaf Firearms in Texas to see if they are set up to have an iron sight Hellcat custom milled for the Holosun K series. They did my slide on the Smith and their work it first rate. Mil & L/E discounts available. Their 407k optics cut on my Smith is pictured below. Compare it to your OSP to see how little work is required to mount the Holosun K series micro compact sight. I run a Holosun 407c on another gun. After ordering in a Shield RMSc sight unseen, I returned it uninstalled and pre-ordered a 407k for it's machined aluminum body and its ability to manually adjust brightness if auto dimming is not up to challenging light conditions, while having a built in rear sight notch, just like the RMSc.

My Hellcat resides in a pocket holster for now while the Shield 40 is my IWB gun in an optic ready holster. I will wait on adding an optic on the Hellcat for now, and wait for Holosun to do a green dot version of the 407k.

25 yard Hellcat head shots with old eyes & iron sights went 13 for 13 yesterday, but it took a long time and very careful technique through reading glasses. An optic would speed that process for my lousy vision, but eliminate pocket holster carry for me. Key takeaway at this point is this little micro gun is good to 25 yards in the right hands & with good eyes.

IMG_8863.jpg

Thanks for the info. It is curious that Trijicon is coming after the 407k/507k since it does not market a sight specifically for mini sized carry guns like the Hellcat or the 365. Nobody mounts an RMR on those guns currently, so where are the damages to Trijicon?

After watching Microsoft win the patent infringement case with Apple when Windows 1 copied the Mac OS, you never know how these cases will end up when you play litigation roulette in front of a jury. If Trijicon wins, SIG sights will be next to be sued. There is one possible outcome that takes a lot of competitors' sights off the market.

The other end of the probability bell curve has Holosun convincing a jury that the "look and feel" of their product is significantly different enough from Trijicon's to make it exempt from their patent. This is what Microsoft did to Apple. 1. Up & Down buttons are smaller and on the left side only, not a huge one one on each side. 2. A side mounted battery tray prevents needing to remove the sight to change batteries. 3. selectable circle dot reticles on the 507's and the 508's. 4. Solar backup on the "C" and "T" models 5. Built in rear sights and a much lower profile on the sub compact "K" models.

Is the reason Trijicon is going after the sub compact 'K" models that they are belatedly designing a sub compact sight of their own? Are they trying to prevent Holosun taking a lot of that market with a decent product before Trijicon can produce a product to serve the sub compact market they currently ignore? I'll wager a box of factory defense ammo that is exactly what is happening here. And the "Trijicon does not sell a sub compact sight" argument might carry some weight for Holosun at trial.

Trijicon has a patent. If they do not defend it aggressively, they lose the right to claim infringement. They are doing what they must as good businessmen and innovators. I would do exactly the same in their shoes.

Holosun has taken a concept someone else invented and arguably improved it in many ways, adding features Trijicon does not offer at any price. They quite possibly may owe royalties to Trijicon, as could every other red dot maker who sells in the USA. Trijicon may very well be using the Holosun suit as a test case to then go on and defend their patent industry wide if they win this case. We cannot know what a jury will decide, and it has nothing to do with justice or fairness. It only matters that jury decides and if the appellate court overturns their decision. This will take 3 to 5 years to play out. perhaps more. Only the attorneys are guaranteed an outcome. Sadly, the rest of us along with both Trijicon and Holosun must wait a very long time.

In the meantime, I have a very odd looking lightening cut milled into my M&P Shield that could someday house the 407k I pre-ordered in April. Or perhaps not.

I contacted Holosun today. They are currently shipping the 407K. First retail shipments went out last week with another shipment due this week. When I asked if they were making progress clearing their backlog on the new K models, the rep said the order list is huge, so clearing the backlog will take time. Optics Planet has pushed back my ship date again, now 9/11, out from 8/12. New orders are estimated to ship 5 to 6 months out. Midway cleared their initial backlog, but the K models were quickly backordered again. So the 407k and 507k have reportedly not stopped shipping despite the lawsuit. They are just very, very backordered.

Trijicon got caught napping alongside the rest of the industry while Holosun and Sig leapt into a underserved market segment. They uncovered huge unmet demand from us consumers. If I were Trijicon, I would be pushing a compact version of the RMR into production as fast as possible. I would love to see a side by side test of the Holosun 407K and a future RMRc. (the 507K would be an unfair comparison, since Trijicon does not offer a circle dot reticle.)

Back