testtest

Hellcat Pro Apex vs PRP

bllefkay

Operator
So after spending 80 bucks on Apex kit, I went ahead and dropped another $175 on PRP's kit. There's no comparison imo, you get what you pay for - although there's still travel, pull has been reduced! Haven't shot gun yet, just completed installation. PRP kit photo below of components replaced, I went with 3.5lb sear spring. Other 2 pics are of Apex and PRP triggers (Apex positions marked on tape which are rest, wall, fire).

Attachments

• IMG_5562.JPG
    IMG_5562.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    IMG_5564.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 1.54.08 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 1.54.08 PM.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Bad pic below (taken from vid) shows PRP start/rest position aft of Apex mark. PRP’s fire position is 1/8” past Apex mark and there’s no sorta wall but a rolling break.

Attachments

• 9E457DD5-A207-4367-AE0C-30980981D98E.jpeg
    9E457DD5-A207-4367-AE0C-30980981D98E.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My trophy wife bought me a Ruger LC-9 for Christmas quite a few years ago, shortly after they first came out and she heard me discussing an article I had read on it with my son. The gun seems near perfect for an EDC. It felt good in my hand and the size and the weight was about right for conceal carry. I loved the gun ... and then I took it to the range and shot it ... then love the gun dwindled to "not so much"... The problem was the trigger pull was to heavy and to loooooong not to mention how far you had to release for reset. It was horrible too shoot. I never told the wife but also did not carry it. Long story short, owners of this model my their voices heard to Ruger and They redesigned it as a striker fire under LC-9S. Everthing was the same except they put a lighter spring (my LC-9 measured 6.75 and my LC-9S come in at just under 5) and shortened the trigger travel and return by over 50%. Tried it and it was day and night. I bought one and it regularly rotates as one of my EDCs. The wife thinks its the one she bought me and I have seen no reason to tell her any different.
Now after all that rambling what I wanted to say was that one of the things that convinced me on the Hellcat was the trigger action, my thinking it was just about right for the weapon in question side by side (without measuring just feel), it pretty much mirrors my Ruger. That being said, reducing to 3.5 on a weapon without a manual safety (I have first gen Hellcat that sans safety), hmmmm, don't know, appears a bit hair triggerish on paper. Had a buddy that put a hair trigger on a 1911 and used to joke that a stiff wind could set it off. After the novelty wore off he realized it was a little too touchy and no longer carries it.

A 1911 should have a very light trigger. That's what the safety is for.

Furthermore, trigger discipline must be trained, trained and then trained again and repeated constantly and daily so that it is pure muscle memory. Period.

There was someone here a long time ago who is no longer here apparently and we had a long back and forth over the need to train and practice your draw. He thought it was ridiculous and amounted to guys just wanting to play with their guns. He was ( probably still is presumably) wrong.

Life lesson. It goes for everything, not just gun safety/preparedness. Anything that you MUST do, needs to be constantly reinforced. Period.

Trigger discipline, clearing a cover garment, proper grip and draw, target acquisition, sight picture, breathing, trigger press, sear reset, assessment, holstering. These are all things that you should be doing on a daily basis over and over and over again.

A 1911 should have a very light trigger. That's what the safety is for.

Furthermore, trigger discipline must be trained, trained and then trained again and repeated constantly and daily so that it is pure muscle memory. Period.

There was someone here a long time ago who is no longer here apparently and we had a long back and forth over the need to train and practice your draw. He thought it was ridiculous and amounted to guys just wanting to play with their guns. He was ( probably still is presumably) wrong.

Life lesson. It goes for everything, not just gun safety/preparedness. Anything that you MUST do, needs to be constantly reinforced. Period.

Trigger discipline, clearing a cover garment, proper grip and draw, target acquisition, sight picture, breathing, trigger press, sear reset, assessment, holstering. These are all things that you should be doing on a daily basis over and over and over again.
I carry my weapon appendix unloaded. My safety is racking slide before business occurs.

I am just not a trigger snob, nor do I understand that culture. I don't believe a defensive striker fired pistol requires a short light pull. I never fired or owned a striker fired pistols where the trigger was worth complaining about or was a hindrance.

While Americans seem to be more picky and snobbish when it comes to triggers, the fact that all of branches of law enforcement and the military as well as most private sector security guards, not just in America but around the world, almost always issue and use stock handguns. Wars and conflicts around the world have been fought using stock handgun triggers. Just about all law enforcement in the U.S. use stock triggers and have taken on and taken out terrist, mass shooters, etc. The Secret Service and U.S. Special Forces are issued sidearms with stock triggers. I watched dozens of officer related gun fights where one officer took out a suspect who was shootings back at him yards awhile while on the move. Elisjsha Dicken took out a mass shooter at 40 yards with a stock Glock, and put 8 of 10 on target...

Then I come online and see on YouTube, forums, and social media people either not wanting to buy, complaining about, bashing, replacing, and/or saying they can't shoot well because these same triggers aren't good or are terrible.

That's what the gun out the box is capable of. I've seen others take Glocks, Springfield XD(M)s, M&Ps, Beretta APX, Sigs, and etc out the box and shoot impressive groups slow fire and rapidly without issue. Then I come online, and see people complaining about the trigger usually already light 5 to 6 pound with a decent reset triggers.

Last edited:
Not going to debate trigger pulls, I’m a newbie to striker fire guns. Been shooting them now for several months, different animals from the 80’s when I was shooting 1911 platform styles. I will have to say on range today, I was getting surprised fires on trigger pulls which I’m familiar with on better guns.

Well you have to figure that most people on the internet complaining are really only shooting their guns on a range, where it's very easy to analyze and over think things like that.

That said, I believe in giving myself every advantage and if a trigger mod or any other mod makes me better in classes, then I'm down with it. That said, I have yet to do anything to a trigger other than every single 1911 I own and every single AR I own. I have one ( non 1911) carry pistol with a non stock trigger, but I got it that way and would have done the same thing had I got the gun in stock condition. If you've ever shot a P30 you know why.

The decision belongs to the shooter. Typically things change or should to match skill sets, My comfort spot would be 4lb range. I deal fine with heavier stock triggers and much lighter custom triggers. I do believe trigger pull weight does increase accuracy but only after mastering control. As your skillset increases as comfort allows increase the performance of your equipment. Obviously only my opinion.
Although I will admit to being a Bourbon snob cause if it ain't from Kentucky its only Whiskey

Better vid of trigger pull after PRP replacement parts:
Now looking at M*Carbo titanium striker which supposedly reduces trigger creep but that’s after Monsoon port job I think, lol!

I thinking of getting my dremel out and making a striker tweak, lol!

Attachments

• AFE55F95-7E9C-4632-8C8C-6ADE49B2727E.jpeg
    AFE55F95-7E9C-4632-8C8C-6ADE49B2727E.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 76
  • 3040451D-DA77-4692-8AD9-D87BD5B9CE9A.jpeg
    3040451D-DA77-4692-8AD9-D87BD5B9CE9A.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 87
Back